BX 19TRI stopping whilst cold off idle
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default BX 19TRI stopping whilst cold off idle

My daughters 88 BX 19TRI will start perfectly when cold and idle for a short time but when you try to drive it, or let it sit at idle for a while, it will die. It can be kept running by increasing revs. When warm it starts and runs perfectly. It only plays up in that warm up period.

My guess is a bung (another tech term) coolant temp sensor. There are two sensors near the termostat housing (typically in an almost impossible spot to access). Why the two? Which is the more likely culprit or am I on the wrong track? How can such a problem be traced? I have cleaned all of the elec connections I can find.

Thanks in Advance.

Advertisement

Greals

You could be right, but if you plough through this thread it may give you a few ideas also.

Citroen BX TZi ECU diagnostic codes

There is always the possibility of an air leak on the intake side or a sticky idle stepper which is usually fixed by spraying a bit of penetrene down it's throat and freeing up with your finger. A sticky butterfly when the idle is being set I saw catch someone a while back (ie) idle set then with use the shaft decides to free itself up and causes erratic running at idle. Also, check the bane of every BX owners like; the "O" rings on the injector nozzles as they can also create havoc at certian temps.
    You may have to refer to Mr Haynes or a Bosch siste to identify the temp sensors; afraid I can't help there.

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/bosch.html

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Thanks again Alan. A bit to work thru there. I will investigate your suggestions and let you know how I get on.
    Gary G

Icon10

BX TRI's do not have an idle control unit. This is controled by the ECU. It sounds as if you have an air leak in the system. A common fault is that there is a small 10mm bolt on the drivers side of the inlet manifold which holds the oil filler unit to the manifold. The reward bolt hole passes into the inlet manifold tube and if that bolt comes loose and falls out can cause a quite significan air leak.

There are a few other posibilities
    -Air leak at the inlet manifold join to the head
    I have witnessed a few BX's do a similar thing and it was in the ECU having a spaz. Disconnect the battery for 10mins and see if that re-sets any faults.
    Check the following, clean air filter, no splits in inlet snorkel, clean throttle body butterfly

Also there is a small vaccum hose which connects to the top of the throttle body housing. remove this and make sure trhat the port on the throttle body is not blocked. it is a tiny port (2mm) inside but needs to be flowing to make car idle.

Remove the idle screw adjuster and blast with carbon clean, and inside its seat. make sure this is very clean

Make sure idle speed is set properly and that knowone has played around with the base idle speed screw on the throttle butterfly

Tim Tech
    - BX 16V 1992 - IN STORAGE
    - BX 19GTI 1986 - IN USE
    - PEOGEOT 306 S16- DRIVE CAR

Tadpole

Thanks Tim, is the 10mm bolt that holds the oil filler on the Drivers side or passengers side of the inlet manifold? The car is with my daughter at the moment but I will have it on Thursday and I will check for leaks and ensure idle seat is clean then.

Thanks,
    Gary G

Thread Information