How do you tell 8v fm 16v Xantia?
  • Register
  • Help

Default How do you tell 8v fm 16v Xantia?

Having joined the Xantia ranks & noted the discussion on 8v & 16v engines, I blush to have to ask how you tell the difference in terms of recognition from looking at the engine! It came to NZ via Japan, so the handbook was probably ditched being in Japanese and the photocopied substitute just contains general Xantia information. I'm blowed if I can see anything on or around the engine giving info as to whether its 8v or 16v. Only German writing as the electrics are Bosch. Only external ID is "Citroen Xantia" on the bootlid, and "2.0i" on the leading edge of the rubbing strip on the front doors. Being an auto I find it a bit sluggish off the mark, but it'sfine once it gets into stride. The thread about the BX "sport" mode is therefore interesting - I haven't tried this switch yet but will, as it might give the Xantia a bit more sparkle down low. Thanks = Paul

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Paul,

Given it's an Auto, I'm pretty sure it's an 8V engine. We looked at buying a Xantia for a while, and I've just gone through our multitude of Xantia brochures and all the autos are 8V - in all versions: SX, VSX, Image.

The reason for the 8V engine in the autos is it's torquier down low than the 16v, and therefore better suited to an auto car.

Derek

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by paulclifford
    Having joined the Xantia ranks & noted the discussion on 8v & 16v engines, I blush to have to ask how you tell the difference in terms of recognition from looking at the engine! It came to NZ via Japan, so the handbook was probably ditched being in Japanese and the photocopied substitute just contains general Xantia information. I'm blowed if I can see anything on or around the engine giving info as to whether its 8v or 16v. Only German writing as the electrics are Bosch. Only external ID is "Citroen Xantia" on the bootlid, and "2.0i" on the leading edge of the rubbing strip on the front doors. Being an auto I find it a bit sluggish off the mark, but it'sfine once it gets into stride. The thread about the BX "sport" mode is therefore interesting - I haven't tried this switch yet but will, as it might give the Xantia a bit more sparkle down low. Thanks = Paul
    It's an 8v. Where yours has the 2.0i on the rubber strip, the 16vs have 2.0i 16V.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by paulclifford
    Twin OH camshafts look a lot bulkier - I'd strongly suggest buying a basic Haynes manual (I know, I know, they're not ideal but......). Lots of pictures.

Sounds like an 8V to me too. Mine has identical badging to yours and it is an 8V.

JohnW

Thread Information