Citroen Xsara SX hatch impressions
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Citroen Xsara SX hatch impressions

Today I've got a new (8000km on the clock) Xsara 1.6L manual 5 door hatch as a loan car while the C3's being serviced.

I have to say, it's a very nice car! It feels very 306-ish, obviously. The 1.6L engine has heaps of get up and go given it's manual. It's very quiet compared to my 306XSi, both engine noise and road noise. I haven't investigated things such as under-bonnet/firewall insulation, but it certainly is a more modern car compared to the 306. The steering is very nicely weighted - heavy compared to the C3, but more to my liking.

Advertisement

All in all it's alot of car for the money and I can't fault it

Derek

Is it Blue?

1000+ Posts

Yup. YRS somethingorother is the plate.

Derek

Yes, Continental cars

Used it before when i took my Xsara for a service

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

My sister is thinking about buying one of these, brand new. On paper it seems to be a nice package. I'm glad to hear that it has good performance. Derek, how do you find the ride, and the seat comfort? My sister would be looking for comfort in her next purchase. Her current car is a 121 (bubble) which has been a great car for her but lacks comfort and refinement.

Anne and I would both be interested to hear any further comments on Xsaras, especially on the 1.6 manual 5-door.

John.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    My sister is thinking about buying one of these, brand new. On paper it seems to be a nice package. I'm glad to hear that it has good performance. Derek, how do you find the ride, and the seat comfort? My sister would be looking for comfort in her next purchase. Her current car is a 121 (bubble) which has been a great car for her but lacks comfort and refinement.

Anne and I would both be interested to hear any further comments on Xsaras, especially on the 1.6 manual 5-door.

John.
    All model Xsara's sold here have nice seats, very comfortable. While I have never driven the 1.6 5 door, the reviews I have seen have indicated that the ride is very good. If it is as anything like the series 1 1.8 I had before, then it should be very good.

The 1.6L engines also a have good fuel economy.

Troy.

They're good value at the moment too.

Only $19,990 for the VTR 3 door, or $21,990 for the 5 door SX hatch.

The engine is the same 1.6 as used in the 206 and 307.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    The 1.6L engines also a have good fuel economy.
    My experience in the 307 would support this. Just filled up, 7.5l/100km in city/suburban driving and it's an auto!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Only $19,990 for the VTR 3 door.
    And that's the same price as the 206 XR 1.4, isn't it?

Troy.

And that's the same price as the 206 XR 1.4, isn't it?
    Ding!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn
    Derek, how do you find the ride, and the seat comfort? My sister would be looking for comfort in her next purchase.
    John,

The ride comfort was great - no different to a 306XT or XR. The seats are very nice from my initial impressions - I only drove it for maybe 20 or 30km all up. The reason I made the comment about the zippiness of the engine is I have driven Pug307's automatic 307 with the same engine (as you know John!) which is somewhat lacking in performance. The Xsara's not quite as quiet as the 307, but it's still very good compared to a 306.

Hope that helps John
    Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    My experience in the 307 would support this. Just filled up, 7.5l/100km in city/suburban driving and it's an auto!
    That is brilliant fuel economy. It shows how far cars have advanced in the past 10 - 15 years. I had a BX 16Trs which was a 5 speed manual and the figure Justin has quoted above was around what I got on open road driving. In town that dropped to 10 - 11L/100klms so how good is 7.5 from an auto?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Deka how do you get the good cars from continentals in relation to loans i always get the most crap cars on earth when i take my car out there. It sux....I wanted to take out that silver XM out the back but they told me no....
    They might think that danielsydney is a little rebel or something....hehe

1000+ Posts

I don't know Daniel... but my family have been regulars there for 35 years. That may have something to do with it?

Alan,
    You're right there, but I think alot of the advances have come more recently with the current generation of cars - I mean, my 306 (nearly 5 years old now), driving as sedately as I can, struggles to get 10L/100km in the city. I filled it up yesterday - 11L/100km it worked out at. The C3 with its 1.4 manual with me driving it like a leadfoot, I can't make it go over 7L/100 in the city (6ish is normal).

I still want a diesel though. Dad's got his name down for a pre-ordered C3 1.4 16v HDi when/if they come through.

We've gone way off topic here, but I'd imagine the Xsara with 1.6 and a manual would get around 7L/100 in the city? Anyone with real-life experience? How's your new one Testius?

Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    We've gone way off topic here, but I'd imagine the Xsara with 1.6 and a manual would get around 7L/100 in the city? Anyone with real-life experience? How's your new one Testius?

Derek.
    I'm a bit of lead foot at times, but I used to get 8-8.5L/100km out of the VTR in city driving (using the aircon quite a bit). This compares to about 10.5L/100km in the VTS (city driving also).

Troy.

1000+ Posts

I forgot to say it before, but our C3 got a software update yesterday ... you guessed it ... to improve fuel economy.

The whole concept of a software update (from D3F0 to E600 in the case of the C3) to improve something in a car is still a little bizzare to me - just because a normal person can't do it themselves.

Mind you, so many things these days are user updateable - such as our digital TV set top box. Buy a $10 cable, connect it up to your laptop and away you go. I guess one day there'll be a USB cable on a spool under the dash of a car - pull it out, plug it in and update it yourself.

Derek

Mind you, so many things these days are user updateable - such as our digital TV set top box. Buy a $10 cable, connect it up to your laptop and away you go. I guess one day there'll be a USB cable on a spool under the dash of a car - pull it out, plug it in and update it yourself.

Derek
    Or as someone else mentioned recently, a software update on CD that you stick into the car CD player to update the software on the car.

Troy.

I've never driven the Manual Xsara's only the auto's.. I've written my love for this car over and over again (5 door 1.6L/2.0L).

Check some of the other threads for my thoughts, i'd recommend the Xsara to anyone interested in a solid, powerful little beast

in the 1.6L Auto you'd be amazed the amount of difference with sport mode on...

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uga Boga
    in the 1.6L Auto you'd be amazed the amount of difference with sport mode on...
    Uga Boga,
    I read a post of yours elsewhere (Whirlpool?) where you said the 1.6 auto performed like a 2L with sport mode switched on. From my knowledge of the AL4 auto transmission (which has 6 mapped gear change patterns), sports mode automatically limits the transmission to the two most sporty modes. In sports mode, the car holds onto gears longer, will not shift into 4th gear until high speeds (ie. +100km/h) and shifts down eagerly to provide engine braking.

All in all, I don't think it's going to make it perform like a 2L car. Having driven a few cars with the 1.6L auto engine/gearbox combination, I know it doesn't perform like a 2L. Sorry to disappoint, but sports mode doesn't change how the *engine* performs, only how and when the transmission shift patterns occur.

Derek.

1000+ Posts

Or as someone else mentioned recently, a software update on CD that you stick into the car CD player to update the software on the car.
    Wow Troy that's cool. I'm going to jump up and down with that one
    I guess that means you need the standard CD player hey?
    Derek

With normal 1.6 (without sport) acceleration is so slow... However with sport mode on, it jumps alot*** quicker.

Its also way more noisy and the car feels alot lighter. Its quite amazing.

It also uses a tad bit more petrol.

Uga Boga,
    I read a post of yours elsewhere (Whirlpool?) where you said the 1.6 auto performed like a 2L with sport mode switched on. From my knowledge of the AL4 auto transmission (which has 6 mapped gear change patterns), sports mode automatically limits the transmission to the two most sporty modes. In sports mode, the car holds onto gears longer, will not shift into 4th gear until high speeds (ie. +100km/h) and shifts down eagerly to provide engine braking.

All in all, I don't think it's going to make it perform like a 2L car. Having driven a few cars with the 1.6L auto engine/gearbox combination, I know it doesn't perform like a 2L. Sorry to disappoint, but sports mode doesn't change how the *engine* performs, only how and when the transmission shift patterns occur.

Derek.

Also one more thing, i was wondering if there was anything wrong with leaving it in "sport" all the time?

I also feel that the area where the Sport button is gets really hot at times, is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    That is brilliant fuel economy. It shows how far cars have advanced in the past 10 - 15 years. I had a BX 16Trs which was a 5 speed manual and the figure Justin has quoted above was around what I got on open road driving. In town that dropped to 10 - 11L/100klms so how good is 7.5 from an auto?

Alan S
    Mind you, I have to use economical driving techniques to get 7.5l/100km

If I slack off, maybe 8-8.5l/100km is a more realistic figure. I've managed 4.5l/100km in an economy run when really trying (although sometimes I wonder if they measured correctly, I've managed 5.0 on freeway driving).

I try to drive proactively, watching the brake lights a few cars ahead of me, watching the traffic lights ahead and what the cars are doing at intersections, so I don't really need to brake much.

Braking is the conversion of kinetic energy into heat energy. The less braking you do, the less wastage - if you come to an intersection at a moderate pace, it also means you have to accelerate less. Acceleration is where you waste fuel - the less you do, the better your economy. Obviously, I brake if I need to, but less braking also means less brake wear, less braking and acceleration also means less wear on other components too.

It never ceases to amaze me at how many people are so keen to accelerate to get to a red light first. What's the point???

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

The reason I made the comment about the zippiness of the engine is I have driven Pug307's automatic 307 with the same engine (as you know John!) which is somewhat lacking in performance. The Xsara's not quite as quiet as the 307, but it's still very good compared to a 306.
    To be fair, you need to compare it against a 307 1.6 manual. I think they go pretty well for a small engine in a big car thanks to the short gearing. I'd imagine the Xsara would be a wee bit faster (0.5s 0-100km/h) because of its lower mass.

It felt like a totally different engine when I first drove one, they're just a wee bit faster than the 306 XR with the 8V 1.8, if not having as friendly low down torque characteristics.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Uga Boga,
    I've taught you well son

I agree totally.

If you floor a car in economy mode or in sports mode, there's next to no difference. There shouldn't be, because the engine is revving to the max in both modes.

This is especially the case for the AL4 as when flooring it around, the transmission would automatically select sports mode.

When flooring it though, you must floor it in a rapid manner, otherwise it may not get the signal. If you slowly feed the throttle in, it will just hold the gear sometimes.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information