annoying beeping sound
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default annoying beeping sound

I'm not sure if this happens to all the BXs or just mine, seems a bit silly if it happens to all of them, but when the key is turned to the accessories position the car starts beeping quite loudly. It only beeps when the key is in this position and i cant see the need for this warning sound except only to tell me that the key is in the ACC position. Would anyone know how to get rid of this function as I want to have the radio turn on automatically when I start the car instead of at the moment having to turn the radio on and off when I get in and out.
    Also when the indicators are switched on they hardly make a sound at all, how can I make the indicators click louder? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

That's just the hydraulic warning buzzer. Your hydraulics are in very good shape if it goes out immediatly after the car has started. When the car is started from cold, you may find it's takes several seconds before it'll stop buzzing (as the pump builds pressure). If it ever comes on while driving stop IMMEDIATLY (it'll most likely be low on fluid, however it could also be actually out of pressure ).

Quiet indicators ?? You'll get used to them.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

If it's the noise I think you're referring to, I'd suggest you get used to it.
    It comes on when the ignition is turned on, when the lights are on & you open the door, when the keys are left in the ignition and when the LHM and engine oil is low, so it is there for more reason than to disrupt your radio pleasure.
    On all of our cars, the radios can be operated without any keys being turned to accessories position so I would suggest you get the wiring set up checked if yours doesn't work that way.
    If of course it's a case of you wanting it to turn on with the key in case you forget to turn it on, memory classes might be the way to go and if it's the time saved between the difference of turning the key as opposed to reaching across & physically turning the radio on at the set, then try singing lessons to help fill in the interlude this creates.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Thanks Alan, I'll get round to those singing lessons right away.

Any advice on those quiet indicators?

there is something weird that goes on with the radio on/off with the ignition

the cars are designed so the radio runs when the car's off, but I just installed a new Blaupunkt cd player in my BX (had it done at a car stereo place, not a home-job) and sometimes it turns off and on with the ignition

I think most players are set up so if they detect a pulse of some description in the power flow they turn on or off, this doesn't seem to occur consistently in the BX. Also, if I have the heater on and the cd player on at the same time, and then turn the heater off, the cd player turns off too (I'm thinking for the same reason, pulse in power flow)

this is entirely speculation of course.

doesn't really bother me, the only reason it concerns me is that the mute button on the Blaupunkt is actually the power button, you have to hold it in for a few seconds to turn it off. This leaves a high chance of me leaving the cd running on mute all night, draining the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by new2bx16v
    Thanks Alan, I'll get round to those singing lessons right away.

Any advice on those quiet indicators?
    There's nothing I have ever heard anyone doing on those apart from the die hard Cit owners in Europe who simply get rid of the self cancelling mechanism. Now if this is your first Citroen this may sound a bit bizzare but to my knowledge, the BX was the first Citroen with self cancelling trafficators and most of the Citroen "Old brigade" (I include myself in this) absolutely hate the bloody things. The reason being that in other models, in my case the CXs, it comes as second nature to simply cancel them as you come around a corner, overtake, merge etc and using the self cancelling things, you often forget. The other option that I had on another BX I owned but got rid of, was the previous owner put another warning light in the circuit with a bright bulb that almost flashed in your face when operating. Driving as I do on a lot of very dark country roads I found this really dangerous as if you went around a corner and turned it on the legal distance from the corner, you took a few seconds for your eyes to readjust to the darkness once you'd tuned & it had cancelled. I almost ran over one of my neighbours one night so in the interests of neighbourhood harmony, I disconnected it. Best I can offer sorry. I can give you the URL to the site that gives instructions on how to disconnect the mechanism if that's any help.
    Mench, I reckon you've got some problem possibly within the ignition switch if I'm reading you correctly.
    My suggestion would be to get it disconnected off that circuit as ignition switches don't come cheap and if it's a bit dodgy, the extra load won't do it any favours. Why not look at some kind of direct wiring but through a separate "master switch" somewhere accessible? I have a fairly new Sony system in my car and we suspect it's also feeding the bloody CD player which apparently Sony and a few other brands of sets have a reputation for doing. We intend to fit some kind of isolater so I can park the car for more than 2 days if necessary and not have a half flat battery.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Thread Information