Trouble-Free VTS
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Trouble-Free VTS

Howdy,
    I've just discovered this great site and would like to share my enthusiasm for Citroens. I bought a Xsara VTS in 2002, against the wishes of my family and friends. I suppose it was a fear of the unknown reliabillity and quality control that worried them.

Two years on, I am totally in love with my Xsara. I've now covered over 25000 Kms of trouble-Free motoring.Fuel consumption is amazing,as is fit and finish . The road handling leaves many more expensive cars in it's wake. It offers sporty performance and a luxury interior,with an individual street appeal. It must be one of motorings best kept secerets!

Advertisement

I'd love to hear from any Xsara owners about their experiences

Icon1

Amen to that...

Yea i know, what i hate is how everyone advises against Citroen's, ofcourse no one could stop me buying one since i owned a beautiful CX back in Iraq.

They use the same poor arguments, European cars = expensive parts, not suited for Australia etc....

But in regards to my experience, the pricing of the parts have been great and quite adequate to the car itselfs.

As for the Xsara, i don't own a VTS but the 5 door Xsara versions (2003,2004, 1.6/2.0L) what can i say... handling is simply amazing. The car is soo solid its unbelieveable, you go into a Mazda 3 then into the Xsara and you notice the difference instantly.

"Sport mode" is amazing aswell, on the 1.6 it drives like your on a 2.0L when sport mode is on.

As for the suspension, the worst road becomes normal...

Ugh.. i'm in love with Cits especially my Xsara's.. Its not only a car for me, its a way of life

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default I'll go along with that

Same here. That feeling of strength you just don't get from Japs.
    The looks, well the stock standard one may be a bit bland but with a bit of work such as Julian has performed on mine and- I wish to add -a bit of input from...myself, the car is drop dead gorgeous. I mean: I get 18 year old nymphettes coming over to talk to me in car parks. Like "oooh what sort of car is that?" or "Is it French"... 18 year old nymphettes, how good is that?

Harrisson
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

yeah! I agree with both of your responses. Having owned many Jap cars, some pretty expensive, there is nothing as solid or refined as a Xsara.
    As for being surrounded by 18 yr old Nymphettes, it must be too cold for them in S.A. May-be I should move to QLD.

In regard sto the nymphettes, yea they're quite active in Sydney aswell, its not only about them, but everyone else.

I have had people stare, come up to me and ask what kind of car is this and friends make the notion that the Xsara is a 60,000$ car...

Quite amazing, Citroen has done a good in terms of appearance with the Xsara Whilst the performance is top notch too.

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen
    Same here. That feeling of strength you just don't get from Japs.
    The looks, well the stock standard one may be a bit bland but with a bit of work such as Julian has performed on mine and- I wish to add -a bit of input from...myself, the car is drop dead gorgeous. I mean: I get 18 year old nymphettes coming over to talk to me in car parks. Like "oooh what sort of car is that?" or "Is it French"... 18 year old nymphettes, how good is that?

Harrisson

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Pete, the SA girls are only just starting to warm to the charm of xsara owners. of course my ugly mug isnt helping the cause.

anyway i'd just like to say i have an '04 / mkIII Xsara VTS and it is a fantastic ride. I have been on a few car cruises through the hills with many like minded peugeot owners and it is a ball. There are a few things i intend to do to my car, but for a motoring enthusiast it is an excellent platform. It is just 'cause im a nutter and having come from a several hundred Nm V8 monster i need some more speed.

If you are interested we (XsaraVTS, jastanis, gti138, LeighO, pugsy, fordel and friends) are probably going to have another car day as soon as something gets organised.

keep in the loop

-Q

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS

If you are interested we (XsaraVTS, jastanis, gti138, LeighO, pugsy, fordel and friends) are probably going to have another car day as soon as something gets organised.

keep in the loop

-Q
    I was going to organise something for today actually.... But with the weather being what it is/was I figured it not to be conducive to going for a drive thru the hills to a pub for lunch.... Took the girlfriend out though for lunch and a short drive between rainstorms! We'll have to organise something soon again Q.

Michael.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Mind revealing what you plan on doing to get more speed/power? Could help fellow Xsara owners alot.

Hey Pete, the SA girls are only just starting to warm to the charm of xsara owners. of course my ugly mug isnt helping the cause.

anyway i'd just like to say i have an '04 / mkIII Xsara VTS and it is a fantastic ride. I have been on a few car cruises through the hills with many like minded peugeot owners and it is a ball. There are a few things i intend to do to my car, but for a motoring enthusiast it is an excellent platform. It is just 'cause im a nutter and having come from a several hundred Nm V8 monster i need some more speed.

keep in the loop

-Q

Well I am on to my third Xsara, a VTS (I had a series 1 1.8i 16V 5 door and series 2 VTR previously) and it's a hoot to drive. To me it's exactly the sort of car I want, it nicely combines performance, handling and comfort. While I have had some minor niggles, it has not been enough to put me off the owning experience. Truely it is an underrated car.

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

all cars have niggles. what does your list comprise of ? mine would be limited to : the multi-plexing anit-pollution fault, brakes, rims n tyres.

all cars have niggles. what does your list comprise of ? mine would be limited to : the multi-plexing anit-pollution fault, brakes, rims n tyres.
    Broken down by car, from what I can remember

1.8 16V - warping brake disks, radio controls (early Xsara version, not the crappy COM2000 radio control) on steering wheel set up all wrong, rattle in drivers door, somewhat sticky clutch action

VTR - front crank seal leak, warped trim under front windscreen, door rattles, noisy central locking motor in front door, back seat rattle, rattle in gear lever

VTS - bonnet lining started sagging, Anti Pollution fault (I have had one of the oxygen sensors replaced last Friday), door rattles (hmm maybe common in the 2 door models), some sloppy finish in the trim (carpet under the drivers set fit is bad, just as well you can't see it.)

What problems have you had with rims and tires?

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

no actual problem with the rims n tyres apart from the fact that the rims are undersized for a sports coupe. lightweight 17's would have been better. Michelins are a good but SX's are a pretty poor choice too.

As for the other posts up there i didnt read last time...

Michael, it'd be good to get something organised 'cause i am getting itchy toes and it isnt tinea Aiiii. I wouldnt mind doing a track day at some stage. Seriously thinking of getting a lens mounted in my front bumper, may have to make a trip to Adelaide Spy Shop one day.

UB, at the moment i am concentrating on enhancing the Xsara's natural ability (corner speed). In no particular order : Quaife ATB, lightweight magnesium rims, sticky rubber, anti-sway bars, shock absorbers, springs and torsion beams.

Welcome to Pete!

Nice car you have there. I believe it's the best value hot hatch on the market at the moment. Good work and have fun! Check out the 195/55R15 tyre thread for when you need new rubber on your car.

Quinten, although 17s would look nice, I reckon they'd hamper the handling of the Xsara, as it does the 306. I drove a VTS with 16s and P5000 Dragos and was very unimpressed with the ride it gave the car. The handling wasn't that impressive either. The SX-GT is an old tyre now, switch to some Precedas or the new Direzza D101s and you'll be grinning.

Default Lucky run

Thanks for all our responses, its good to see i'm not alone in my passion for Xsaras and all Citroens. I agree, though Xsara is now in "run-out" , it is still a Looker!! and its style masks its age with many people thinking its a newly released car.

I consider my 28 months motoring to be trouble-free. I've had two niggles only . The first being minor anti-polution fault and second, small rattle in rear quarter panel drivers side, but hey, these are hardly major.

I also agree that its a shame Citroen did not fit decent 17'' Rims as the standards are too small. Getting any Kit seems like hard work. Citroen could really get more sales if it beefed up its after-market range.

Hi All

My 2c -
    Own a 2k2 model, cracked 46000 kms. Only trouble I've had was with the indicators (replaced at the 1500km service). Other than that the driver's door has some issue (think it's the little plastic dublelacky that's stuffed) and some issue with the heater/aircon, as yet unresolved (no time!)
    BTW - 16" vs 17", put a deposit down on 17", so I'll be in a better position to comment!
    Reggies

Tadpole

Default VTS aka King of the Road

Why isn't this lil' beauty more popular?. It is a sublime car to drive - handling, grunt etc. The dash and interior is a bit B minus, but to get that amount of responsiveness from the critter under the hood with that price tag - you gotta cut a few corners!. For about a decade i'd been a dyed in the wool Pugman, and yeah, yeah the VTS is a a rebodied/rebadged 306GTI - but look at the lines...look at the stylin'. It's freakin' unreal!. I might not be gettin' the nymph action(it's okay, i'm married), but i'm getting a lot of approving/envious glances. Mine is a bewdiful shade of babyblue(Icelandic Mist or something according to Citroen UK), which makes me wonder why others have complained about a dearth of colours. It is hot, hot, hot.

Keef

Gidday Keith, Damm fine car you've got there. I don't know why Xsara VTS has'nt sold in truck-loads. I assume it's been short on supply and only imported on demmand. Though its reaching the end of production soon, it still is a looker and I believe the best value hot hatch the French have to offer. Look forward to reading any reviews you have about your VTS

Cheers Pete
    01 Xsara VTS

It's a pretty frequent sight in Sydney. I see them a fair bit. Certainly more than STs!

Thread Information