leaky bx, not the sunroof this time!
  • Register
  • Help

Default leaky bx, not the sunroof this time!

I drove a few friends to fremantle the other day in the rain (only a 30m drive, but it was pelting down) and my front passenger got saturated.

This had happened before, so I'd siliconed up the sunroof because the guides were rusted away - I'm going to eventually (evennnnntuallly) get new bits for it, but this will seal it for now.

So anyway, it leaked again, and very badly. The water was clearly coming through where the screws are behind the roof lining (20c sized covers clip out to reveal them) so I put it down to the draining channel about 10cm in from the edge of the roof, and did my trick with the silicone again. I feel it's a good choice because it seals well but you can peel it directly off the paint with no mark. It doesn't last for years but it only takes 5 minutes, and less to get it off when it begins to give up. I'll just do it again next winter . We haven't got a whole lot of rain since but it seems to be holding up.

Advertisement

If you need those parts for the sunroof, I'd suggest you get on your bike real fast as I was reading a message from a guy in the UK a couple of days ago who had similar problems and was told the bits are no longer available.
    If the Poms can't get hold of them then chances are they are in short supply out here and you may have to start looking for them in wreckers yards. If this has to be the case, the longer you wait, the greater the chance that due to sitting out in the weather, they'll be hard to source or turn to rust also.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

"SILICONE" is a huge no no .....

Get rid of it quick as it will burn through your paint and start rusting the metal in no time...

Most common silicones are acidic by nature and will react with automotive paints and metals, Ive seen windscreen surounds eaten away in a matter of months by silicone used to "fix" leaks till the owner got around to resealing the windscreen only to have no metal left to reseal when the time came.

As for the leaking sunroof it's been covered by Alan S... fix it and get it working again... even if it doesnt open and close because it may (unlikely) need parts there is no reason for not fixing the drainage and stopping your interior turning into a shower... a much much better fix than silicone.

You could always open / close it with the hand winder... worse case...to get it sorted properly.

Whatever you do ... get rid of every trace of silicone and fix the drain pipes and lining seal (the roof lining actually is the water containment tray in a BX) or dont drive it when its raining cos you're asking for trouble.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Z
    "SILICONE" is a huge no no .....

Get rid of it quick as it will burn through your paint and start rusting the metal in no time...

Most common silicones are acidic by nature and will react with automotive paints and metals, Ive seen windscreen surounds eaten away in a matter of months by silicone used to "fix" leaks till the owner got around to resealing the windscreen only to have no metal left to reseal when the time came.

As for the leaking sunroof it's been covered by Alan S... fix it and get it working again... even if it doesnt open and close because it may (unlikely) need parts there is no reason for not fixing the drainage and stopping your interior turning into a shower... a much much better fix than silicone.

You could always open / close it with the hand winder... worse case...to get it sorted properly.

Whatever you do ... get rid of every trace of silicone and fix the drain pipes and lining seal (the roof lining actually is the water containment tray in a BX) or dont drive it when its raining cos you're asking for trouble.....
    thanks. I'll get cracking I think

how about windscreen sealant around the sunroof?

I'm going to try to fix the headlining but the weather's a bit unpredictable at the moment so if there's a way to keep the sunroof sealed until I have the drains sorted I'll do it - also it sounds like I might have trouble ever getting the sunroof working again anyway if there's no parts around.

If you really need to seal your sunroof then windscreen sealent (non silicone based) is defintiely your best bet.

Just remember that the proper stuff does not set but stays soft and pliable and is an absolute bugger to get rid of once it's on.

I notice from your pics that your car is black so black mastic (windscreen sealent) will be hard to pic....just remember when washing your car it will smear all over the place if you rub it (sponge or chamois is a no no).

Perhaps try sealing it from underneath rather than on top and see how you go...

I sitll think that he time it will take you to seal it up... you could have dropped the roof lining... fixed the drain tubes, resealed the lining and you'd be done... once and for all.. even if you never opened your sunroof at least the water would drain away.

Good luck with it either way...

yeah, I'm aiming to fix the drains at the moment. Unfortunately it seems to me that it's the front ones that are blocked and I can't find the openings. Might be a head-lining job next weekend.

Thread Information