noisy high pressure pump - BX19 GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default noisy high pressure pump - BX19 GTi

I get this metallic vibrating/rattly sound, and I think it's coming from the hydraulic pump. It's not constant, and seems to happen most at around 1500 rpm, but not consistently (part of what makes me think it's linked to the suspension)

I think I'd better get these sorts of noises fixed straight away, cos my stereo goes in tomorrow, and from then on I have the option of ignorance

does this mean the pump might be on the way out? What are they worth?

Advertisement

It may not be worth getting too excited about.
    Often, this is associated with the pressure regulator and can be when the accumulator is just on the point of 'clicking' as they will sometimes get into limboland and rattle like shit & then go click.
    I have seen it cured by a variety of means including recharging the accumulator sphere, fitting new hose clips to the suction line to the pump as the originals are a non re-useable type that can tend to leak with age and allow air into the system, LHM change and filter cleans to name a few.
    If the rattle is consistent, then the pump could be on the way out, but I've heard that rattle go on for years; some might call it adding "character"

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Most likely it's low on LHM, that's will always cause the pump to rattle, put the car on high (if it doens't get there your definatly low on LHM), give the level indicator a few taps with your finger to make sure it's not stuck and ensure the fluid level is ok.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Icon10 Noisy Hyd Pump

Most probably the pump is on the way out. Very common now days with the age and kms that the common BX is reaching. New are very expensive so secondhand is the only real option if it really bothers you.
    Also you will find that the main cause of pump deterioration is tightening the pump belt too tight leading to bearing failure- bloody squealing belts!!!!

Few other posibilities:
    - Low LHM level, check level
    - Poor accumulator pressure- check and replace if needed
    - airaded LHM fluid
    - Dirty LHM fluid
    - Dirty LHM filter
    - Poor Regulator calibration

Tim Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    It may not be worth getting too excited about.
    Often, this is associated with the pressure regulator and can be when the accumulator is just on the point of 'clicking' as they will sometimes get into limboland and rattle like shit & then go click.
    I have seen it cured by a variety of means including recharging the accumulator sphere, fitting new hose clips to the suction line to the pump as the originals are a non re-useable type that can tend to leak with age and allow air into the system, LHM change and filter cleans to name a few.
    If the rattle is consistent, then the pump could be on the way out, but I've heard that rattle go on for years; some might call it adding "character"

Alan S
    This is pretty much what my old man said - he's a DS man from way back. I checked the LHM level and topped it up a few days ago, I'll check it again soon. It was replaced not so long ago I was told by the previous owner. I think it's probably just the limboland phenomenon, although I'll have a look into changing some filters and stuff

I just got a new stereo for it, so I don't really hear it anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Mench
    This is pretty much what my old man said - he's a DS man from way back. I checked the LHM level and topped it up a few days ago, I'll check it again soon. It was replaced not so long ago I was told by the previous owner. I think it's probably just the limboland phenomenon, although I'll have a look into changing some filters and stuff

I just got a new stereo for it, so I don't really hear it anymore!
    Mate,

I've cured a couple of 'limboland' ones by reseating the balls in the P/R by giving them a tap with a drift.
    Your father should know where to find them; there's two.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Default My experience with BX Hyd Pumps

We have had a few BXs in the family.

1. Red BX16TRS. Phone call from the wife to say the pulley had sheared off the pump and she was stranded at the Normanby 5 ways intersection (luckily she'd managed to coast into a side street) - Tow home courtesy of RACQ. Now using the retrospectoscope, the engine had been running a bit unevenly, jerkily just before this - felt like someting was catching and significantly slowing the engine at random times. This was probably the pump bearing seizing momentarily. These catches had fatigued the metal in the belt pulley just around the shaft boss and the pulley outer V had separated form the boss inthis area. Managed to get a pump that had had a similar problem from a Cit mechanic who had soaked the pump in a tub of oil to relubricate the bearing. Replacement worked OK until we sold the car.

2. White BXTRI122. Pump OK on this one initially but started leaking from the shaft seal a bit at first and then all the time under gravity feed from the reservoir - very messy for the drive belts and cambelt. Exchanged this pump for one from Pleadies ($300) and this lasted until I wrote the car off.

3. Dave's BX 19GT - Has a very noisey pump porbably original as it is low kms. Very rattley, especially when cold but seems to quieten as the engine warms up. Have not had any other problems with this one yet.

Hope you can get some lessons from the above.

Regards,

Ken W

Thread Information