Xsara misfiring
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Xsara misfiring

Tadpole

Default Xsara misfiring

My xsara 1.4i has started misfiring. I had it serviced at my local dealer and they say that the diagnostic computer is showing no faults. They suggest that it could be the coil pack and would cost £180 to replace it. Does anyone agree or disagree with this or we have some suggestions as to what the problem may be.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNDUNBAR
    My xsara 1.4i has started misfiring. I had it serviced at my local dealer and they say that the diagnostic computer is showing no faults. They suggest that it could be the coil pack and would cost £180 to replace it. Does anyone agree or disagree with this or we have some suggestions as to what the problem may be.
    It could very well be the coil pack (are the 1.4's a single coil pack or 1 per cylinder?). Is it happening constantly or is it happening on and off?

If you are not sure whether to trust the dealers diagnosis, I would suggest you take to another dealer to get a second opinion.

Troy.

i would say coil pack... it would be quite constant though if this was the case. can you smell a "sulpher" (spelling) type smell, thats what they smell like when they go.

sensor's??? o2 or Throttle positioning Sensor

Default Xsara missfire!!

The coil pack has been the only missfire related problem I have found with any of the Xsara range. This is unfortunate due to the cost of replacing such an item. There are a few simple checks though:
    - obviously check spark plug history, might be an idea just to replace them anyway
    - remove the electrical connector plug to the coil pack and spay with Contact OL spray incase of a bad connection- Unlikely
    - also check down the ends of the splark plug tubes for any signs of arching etc also spray with contact OL spray

Other than that i Have not found any other problems which could cause this??

Note: If the car starts running badly , blowing black smoke and using plemty of fuel it is most probably the 02 (oxygen ) sensor- common fault

Hi all!
    On that note, what about a stumbling engine? That is, at idle, the engine "trembles" more than normal. Is this also a spark plug thing or something else?

Tadpole

Default Misfiring

Hi to all,

I have a Xsara 1.4 and I've had a similar problem, misfiring for a couple of weeks now. I've bought new spark-plugs and leads to try, but I've never fitted plugs on a Xsara before. This sounds very elementary I know, but I'm stumped - how do you get to the plugs to change them, etc? I presume they are under the ignition coil, so does this have to come off first?

Thanks in anticipation,

Scott

Default missfiring as well

hey guys, mine xsara is a 1.6, 01 VTR....same thing but when my revs reach 3000revs, it fails to go past it, it can go past it when i drop it from 5th gear down to 3rd....

dealerships said no faults are coming up and there are no problems with any sensors....got any ideas/???
    WRC CHAMPS 04!!

Thread Information