Citroen GS (sth african import) chassis/vin no. location???
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen GS (sth african import) chassis/vin no. location???

Hi all,

Been quite a while since I've posted here but anyway here goes does anyone know where I can find
    the chassis/vin no. stamping on my GS???

Advertisement

All I can see is the Citroen factory plate with engine no. stamped on it!

If yours is like my 76 wagon, you won’t have an indented chassis number but instead a raised number plate where the chassis number is usually on a GS (on the box section between the top right subframe bolt and the hydraulic tank). Mine is SAGFC128, but I would expect a sedan would have something other than FC. A later model I have seen is GSLM as the prefix, with 3 numerals following.
    Main Roads in Queensland would not accept it as a chassis number for mine decades ago, don’t know if you’ll have any more luck in South Aus. Do you have any old registration papers indicating what was used previously?
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for that Bruce....yes it has been registered in Adelaide both on standard and club reg.

Someone from Canberra is keen on buying it off me and wants the vin/chassis number but I can't seem find it yet nor has it been recorded on the SA reg papers...will he have problems getting club reg in Canberra without knowing the chassis no. you think?

I'm not near mine to prove but it could be on the lip of the scuttle along the back of front bonnet. If there is one!

No idea about ACT registration, sorry.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Just had it confirmed by a multiple GS owner in South Africa that every one he’s seen has the raised numbers on a welded plate where the chassis number is usually stamped on the pre1980 G’s (top of the box section near the upper right subframe bolt).
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Just had it confirmed by a multiple GS owner in South Africa that every one he’s seen has the raised numbers on a welded plate where the chassis number is usually stamped on the pre1980 G’s (top of the box section near the upper right subframe bolt).
    Cheers Bruce would he have a pic of the exact location perhaps? I must be looking in the wrong spot!

Fellow Frogger!

My '74 GS's is just on the firewall side of the LHM reservoir.

Chris

I’ll see if I can get enough light on mine (in the back of the shed) later today to get a photo.
    Bruce H

Quote Originally Posted by Citquery View Post
    My '74 GS's is just on the firewall side of the LHM reservoir.

Chris
    Chris, that is the ID plate, which some registering authorities won’t aceept, they want the stamped number on the frame.
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    I’ll see if I can get enough light on mine (in the back of the shed) later today to get a photo.
    Awsesome...cheers!

Btw. Would I need to remove the plastic air box to see it or is it visible as is?

47AD4B32-87A2-4220-BDB9-A0EE0717B7B5.jpeg
    No need to remove air box, this is it. Not much to look at
    Last edited by Bruce H; 7th February 2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Bruce H

I take it your ID plate is something like this?1C21BFD1-D487-400E-8F6B-09DAD00B745F.jpeg
    Bruce H

Attachment 118702
    Given the two different handwritings, it’s not absolute proof from the dealer, but this is how it’s shown in my Owners Manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce H; 8th February 2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Bruce H

Fellow Frogger!

20200207_155301[1].jpg

Nothing there on mine !

Hmmm, well that’s a mystery.
    I see you have the euro-style ID plate, but not in the usual place.
    Looks like the engine number is the chassis number in your case.
    Bruce H

Raver Ė maybe the plate has been removed, happened to me on my Oz import GS when looking for the firewall paint code disc (been removed or does not exist)

A Sth Afrique GS of G. Hamadaís estate had a plate on the firewall near LHM reservoir (will try to load photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkey View Post
    Raver – maybe the plate has been removed, happened to me on my Oz import GS when looking for the firewall paint code disc (been removed or does not exist)

A Sth Afrique GS of G. Hamada’s estate had a plate on the firewall near LHM reservoir (will try to load photo)
    I think you may be correct and may have been removed

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for putting me right, Bruce.

My car is not currently easily accessible, but from memory my GS's chassis number is stamped on a nearly horizontal panel near the LHM reservoir and plastic heater box - in a position like yours; however, mine is stamped into the metal - not on a plate and not easily removed.

For South Australian context, the previous owner's rego certificate stated, for VIN/Chassis No.: "not recorded". When I registered the car in my name and gave the chassis number to the Motor Reg person, she said we'll leave it as "not recorded". Yet another mystery of our bureaucracy.

Chris

luck of the draw in a registry, depending on who thinks they're Heinrich Himmler for the day!

Thread Information