Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Sans_sagesse
  • 2 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 2 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 2 Post By CC1701

Thread: 2010 C5 X7 HDi 12 months on

Default 2010 C5 X7 HDi 12 months on

I've owned my C5 Comfort for 12 months now and as I look back I am surprised how little I have had to do to the car in that period except drive, fuel and clean it.

It came with a very patchy service history and had done 167,000km when I bought it but it was pretty cheap. I rolled the dice and so far it has paid off. I think I might've got a good one. That hasn't always been the case for me with Euro cars.

I serviced it just after buying it to find things like the air filter and pollen filter in the car were actually quite fresh. Good start (but replaced these anyway).

I did have to buy tyres as the ones on the car were quite old. I settled on Kumho HS51s: good value, good grip and fairly quiet.

I have just given the car its annual service (it's now at 175,000km), this time eng oil/filter and fuel filter and partial auto trans fluid change.

A couple of tricks I've learned over last year: getting the oil filter cover off was much easier this time with a rubber collar-type oil filter removal tool. $13 at Supercheap. Last time I tried my narrow steel removal tool and a socket I think and it took forever and I nearly cracked the cover. PITA.

I did the AM6 fluid change with some trepidation: there are several guides on the web and some are conflicting. I found one that included pdfs of the factory manual instrutions and followed them. The key is to make sure that after refilling the box that the level is correct by removing the small torx head screw in the drain plug and letting fluid drain until it is coming out at a drip. Do this with the engine running and trans fluid warmed up to 58 deg minimum. (max 70 deg). Best to have Lexia for this.

I have one of those you-beaut retactable claws on an extended cable thingy (yes that's its offical name ) from my Alfa ownership days and it proved really handy for removing and replacing the trans filler bolt on top of the box. Meant that I didn't have to stuff around with removing the air filter housing. I also discovered that the yellow Supercheap funnel I bought is not quite long enough to reach the filler hole BUT if you unscrew it into its two components it works: lower tube drops into the trans filler hole while the upper funnel section rests above the tube.

I also read somewhere that you replace the amount of fluid you took out. That proved to be quite accurate in the end: I removed about 2.7L and replaced about the same.

Only one thing nearly brought me undone: the drain plug needs a 17mm allen key socket to remove. Luckily Bunnings had them!

I do have Lexia to reset the oil counter and noted that the figure in the existing counter was 153,000 (km?). Finding the oil counter reset was impossible till I googled it. Not intuitive at all! The old fluid was very dark but still had some red tinge to it. Shifts are now a bit smoother; yet to see if the occasional thump on the 2-3 shift when cold is still there.

Advertisement

Timing belt is due this year (I think I'll get someone else to do this) and I will finally replace the rear pads and discs in the next month or two.

I really like this car. Sure, it needs better cupholders and cabin storage in general and its towball download capacity is woeful. But it is such a comfortable car to drive. I think it might be a keeper...

17mm Allen key = wheel bolt and spanner = done

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    UFO and metulmykul like this.
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    17mm Allen key = wheel bolt and spanner = done

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Tried that and started to strip the bolt recess... it's not very deep a recess into the bolt. In fact I thought I had stuffed it doing that.

One thing I did with the 17mm socket that might've worked with the 17mm wheel bolt and spanner had I thought of it then was to try tensioning the bolt before trying to undo it.

Funny thatís what Iíve used for the last 16 odd years because I was to tight to buy a 17mm Allen

simca1100 and jaahn like this.
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Sans_Sagesse: - Great. Keep it going. They are such good cars in every respect.

After years of Peugeots and Renaults its my first Citroen and first diesel. In the past I had been weary of their reliability and alleged temperamental nature. How wrong I was to listen to the hyperbole.

Yes i too want more usable cup holders and oddment storage, along with softer seats and less road roar; other than that, its hard to fault the X7.

Its coming up on 2 years since we acquired our X7 Tourers.

So far (touch wood) they've both been perfectly reliable with just the basic maintenance.

Am worried though.
    What could ever replace such a magnificent car!

I keep an eye out for a newer model 3.0HDI Tourer with low clicks to tuck away for when this one can't go any more.

The petrol one will need to be replaced in about 3 years. I can't imagine anything that could compete to replace it.

C5 X7 - Almost Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by CC1701 View Post

I keep an eye out for a newer model 3.0HDI Tourer with low clicks to tuck away for when this one can't go any more.

The petrol one will need to be replaced in about 3 years. I can't imagine anything that could compete to replace it.

C5 X7 - Almost Perfect.
    I too think about what I could replace the C5 with, and I think perhaps a late-model C5 Tourer. While a 3.0 HDi would be great, I'd be happy with a 2.0 HDi. It'd be nice to have integrated satnav.

Funny how you don't like the seats; I find them super-comfortable for long trips. Everyone's different!
    I do notice some road noise and tyre noise but I don't find it too bad.
    The only other thing is that while the ride is lush most of the time, the X7's front suspension doesn't handle big bumps well; it crashes through. And that's in the 17in Comfort alloys, hate to think how harsh it'd be on 19in wheels.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CC1701 View Post
    Almost Perfect.
    Perfect.JPG
    CC1701 likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Everything's gone bloody automatique!

Quote Originally Posted by Sans_sagesse View Post
    I too think about what I could replace the C5 with, and I think perhaps a late-model C5 Tourer. While a 3.0 HDi would be great, I'd be happy with a 2.0 HDi. It'd be nice to have integrated satnav. Funny how you don't like the seats; I find them super-comfortable for long trips. Everyone's different!
    I do notice some road noise and tyre noise but I don't find it too bad.
    The only other thing is that while the ride is lush most of the time, the X7's front suspension doesn't handle big bumps well; it crashes through. And that's in the 17in Comfort alloys, hate to think how harsh it'd be on 19in wheels.
    The seats just don't suit me. Others have called them "supremely comfortable". To me, they seem firm and Germanic, not soft and cosseting like most french cars, just me.

Ours have 18in wheels. When the PS4's have worn away (they are wearing faster than expected). will consider dropping down to 17's and a touring tyre mostly to reduce the road roar. Other might be able to comment on the 19's.

Agreed that the front front suspension can crash over pot holes and big bumps. But then the back just glides over the same bump. I was kinda hoping that on 17's it might negate that a little bit. Maybe its just a characteristic of the suspension.

But it really is a great car, and reliable. Germanic cars are much more compromised and way less reliable.
    Sans_sagesse and Motorgnome like this.

I've just gome past 3 years with mine, Just past 40,000 kms with it. Can't be happier with it. The massager in the seat works a treat.
    CitroŽn's that own me

- 2008 C5 X7 Tourer (Estate) 2.7 DoubleTurbo Diesel UHZJ - V6.

CitroŽn's that formally owned me

- 1990 BX TRI Estate Manual. .. . "Phoenix" - "Donated to Science"
    - 1990 BX TRI Estate Auto. (Traded In)
    - 1987 BX TRI Hatch.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Citroen BX - All about the Citroen BX in Oz
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Fellow Frogger!

I recently bought a 2010 Comfort. Other than some quirky error codes and flashing check engine light, it is a great car. Much nicer than my 2009 pug 407.

Ill have to do the timing belt on mine as well in early 2020.

Tadpole

I like the adulation for the C5X7. I bought a 2010 November last year, flew over over and drove it back to Adelaide with my son as co-driver (I'm coming up 90). Great but for the fact that cruise control/speed limiter is stuck on "Pause 65kpm"! Not so great for 1500km cruising. The local agency is Ford! My reliable local Cit man at "Le Grand Garage" at Seaford (SA) told me it could be the brake light switch. No it wasn't. He said his OBD scanner didn't have the umph to access the intricacies of the 5 computers.
    I booked it into Jarvis Ford for them to scan it. They did and told me that it was either the ABS or the tyre pressure sensors. Really!!? The want it for a day to really skin me.
    Is there any help available out there among the C5 community (orthe Peugot 508 which has the same configuration)?
    eg(Ted)newing

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egnewing View Post
    I like the adulation for the C5X7. I bought a 2010 November last year, flew over over and drove it back to Adelaide with my son as co-driver (I'm coming up 90). Great but for the fact that cruise control/speed limiter is stuck on "Pause 65kpm"! Not so great for 1500km cruising. The local agency is Ford! My reliable local Cit man at "Le Grand Garage" at Seaford (SA) told me it could be the brake light switch. No it wasn't. He said his OBD scanner didn't have the umph to access the intricacies of the 5 computers.
    I booked it into Jarvis Ford for them to scan it. They did and told me that it was either the ABS or the tyre pressure sensors. Really!!? The want it for a day to really skin me.
    Is there any help available out there among the C5 community (orthe Peugot 508 which has the same configuration)?
    eg(Ted)newing
    There is help here Ted, and great help that is. Give it a couple of days, as many are still on holidays. But there will be an answer for you.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique Borg Warner
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive Automatique AM6
    C3 II 2010 Automatique AL4
    Everything's gone bloody automatique!

1000+ Posts

Does the off button at the bottom on the steering wheel work?

Tadpole

egnewing,
    I find with my 508 GT that battery health is crucial.
    I have a driver's side air bag fault that randomly appears and 2 dealers and 2 euro mechanics can't find the cause.
    A battery disconnect/reset or clearing via Lexia works but I have found an overnight on the trickle charger works also and clears any other codes I've encountered as well.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X605F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by metulmykul; 6th January 2020 at 01:55 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I have the same problem with my 2010 c5 x7. Hoping to replace the brake switch today. However, I suspect mine is something to do with where the cruise control gets its info for car speed, based on the lexia error messages I am getting. If you find a solution, please let me know and I'll do the same.

Thread Information