• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ken W

Thread: LED indicator globe upgrade

Default LED indicator globe upgrade

Hi all,

Advertisement

I just changed the old filament globes for LED globes in my indicator,s brake lights and rear parking lights for the SM but now the indicator flasher doesn't flash anymore - just stays on. (I could self flash by flicking the stalk!)
    I presume I need an LED compatible one. Is this correct?
    If so, can anyone tell me what to get and where it is located on the SM. Hopefully it is easy to get and has connectors but won't surprise me if it turns out to be a bugger of a job.

Thanks in advance

cheers Tony

1000+ Posts

LEDs have less resistance. Consider inserting some equivalent to the old bulbs.

On newer bus cars LED swaps produce bus errors, which may or may not matter.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Plenty on ebay too. search for "3 Pin 12V LED Flasher Relay for Car " or similar.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-3-Pi....c100005.m1851
    Jaahn
    PS Note as seasink has said these only suit older cars which do not have a canbus and current sensing technology. New cars have BS stuff which is just designed to cause grief.
    Last edited by jaahn; 5th December 2019 at 07:57 AM.

Thanks men,

I got the flasher unit from jaycar, found out where it lives (behind the little cover panel on the LH side of the dashboard) and plugged it in. Seemed to work OK until I got the dashboard back together again. Now it seems very reluctant to flash (stays fully on for about 15 seconds before flashing starts)
    One question - the original flasher had only wires marked L and negative plugged in. The wire for the positive wire is there but was not plugged in. Should it be?

Any help much appreciated.

cheers Tony

Hi,

I purchased all my LED lighting from OZLED. They weren't the cheapest, but everything purchased has worked and fitted. Also they offer to exchange or refund if not suitable. Which hasn't been the case to date.

I guess it's a case of, you get what you pay for. That was not meant to be a go at anyone, as I too searched the net looking for a bargain, but in the end face to face worked for me.

Anyhow, this is what they recommended to me to compensate(?) for the LED not aligning with the flasher can relay. It doesn't replace the relay, it simply aligns the correct current etc. They can be mounted anywhere along the wire between the relay and indicator. In my case they will be hidden up in the rear fins of the 404.

https://www.ozled.com.au/vehicle-led-light-upgrades/

Cheers.

Dano

The old-style flasher relays require a reasonable current to pass through them so they can work (the current that flows through the bulbs also heats something inside the relay which is used to flick it on and off).

Problem is that LED lights consume nowhere near enough current for this mechanism to work.

So you either replace the flasher unit with something designed for LED lights *or* place a resistor *in parallel* with the LEDs (one required for each side of course) so that enough current flows through the circuit for the old-style unit to work.

1000+ Posts

The electronic flasher is not quite the correct one, there are 2,3 and 4 wire devices. No need for resistors etc these are for the old flasher which is load dependent. Designed to flash faster when a bulb blows. Persist its well worth it, they are brighter and far faster so are clean and sharp to see.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Thanks men,

I will first update you on my lights.
    The indicators despite changing all the globes to LED and replacing the flasher with the jaycar one they still don't flash. At first I still had an old filament globe in each front indicator because I didn't realise when I bought the globes there are 2 in each front indicator. I now have a full compliment of LED globes front and rear so I might have confused the new flasher unit. Is this possible?

Or do I have the wrong flasher unit - 2 pin 3 pin or 4 pin. What was in there was a 3 pin but with only 2 wires connected.

Anyway it is rather irritating that it didn't work. You would think putting a flashing device inline with a globe would be a simple affair, but no.

So if someone knows what is going on can you please shine some light on my problem, I would be most grateful.

cheers Tony

1000+ Posts

Howdy Tony,

As some have said, the old incandescent bulbs drew sufficient current to cause a bimetallic spring in the indicator relay unit to bend, make contact, switch off, and repeat. The bimetallic spring is two different metals riveted together that when heated, one expands more than the other and the two bend as a result. There's a contact on the spring that does the switching. The clicking sound is the spring bouncing back and forth.

When you replace the bulbs with LED's they don't heat up the spring enough, so the spring doesn't bend enough to switch the voltage off and on. So the lamps stay on (or sometimes flash really fast).

The Jaycar one needs almost no current (probably solid state) but requires three connections I think one from the indicator switch, one to earth and one to 12v. Has it got three spade terminals on it and have you connected the three wires?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tony,

Citroen changed how the indicators were wired half way through the SM production. The old style had each indicator light on the dash pod connected with the bulbs on that side of the car and used a 2 wire flasher unit. The later system used a three terminal relay and used the third terminal to flash both indicator lights in the instrument pod. I presume you have the earlier system.

Unfortunately Jaycar did not include the user/installation instructions for their flasher on their website. Did you get any instruction with the unit? If so post a pic of those instructions to let us help you get it working.

Cheers, Ken
    Dano likes this.

Thread Information