Strong feelings about an XM?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Strong feelings about an XM?

Default Strong feelings about an XM?

Hi.
    anyone have strong feelings for or against a 1999 XM with V6 auto?
    Or am I better off looking at an early C5?

Advertisement
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    BMW 530i M-sport Touring - 2003 (current drive car).
    Suzuki SX4 - 2009 (great car for the daughter).
    Mitsubishi ASX - 2018 (for the wife).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

Hello ss2115,

If you're looking for a CIT on a budget, there's plenty of potential pain in those you mention....depending how early the C5. I'd suggest a 'facelift' C5 with the 6 speed auto if you can find a clean one. I've had a few gremlins with mine but seems to be sorted now, and such a great touring car. I have the wagon.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Hello ss2115,

If you're looking for a CIT on a budget, there's plenty of potential pain in those you mention....depending how early the C5. I'd suggest a 'facelift' C5 with the 6 speed auto if you can find a clean one. I've had a few gremlins with mine but seems to be sorted now, and such a great touring car. I have the wagon.
    Okay - thanks.
    What year did the 'facelift' C5 come in?
    I also prefer a wagon when given the choice.
    What are the motor choices? Seem to only be 4cyl turbo diesels on offer.
    DS23 Citroen Safari - 1974 (restoration and modifications. becoming a retirement project).
    Toyota Rav 4 - 1996 (Never say die. Service and tow vehicle. just keeps on going).

1000+ Posts

The C5 X7 model, 2008 onwards, is a far better built car and a more reliable beast all-round. I think I can say that the 2.0 HDI is the most reliable model Citroen has made. Not all later models have hydraulics.

XMs are old, and as few exist, getting parts can be interesting. Chat to Armidillo, who has one
    Le Parisian likes this.

Nobody is better off looking at an early C5 unless you get one for nothing.
    David S and JohnW like this.
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    The C5 X7 model, 2008 onwards, is a far better built car and a more reliable beast all-round. I think I can say that the 2.0 HDI is the most reliable model Citroen has made. Not all later models have hydraulics.
    okay Thanks.
    So looking for 2008 onwards.

And what designations do i look for if i do want the hydraulics?
    I'm looking for the comfort for longer trips than just city driver/daily driver. I like the self leveling features as well - great for loading up the load area and great for correctly aimed headlights at night.

there's a 2009 Exclusive on carsales for $9990 looks like a decent car. I think a wagon would be preferable though. The XM on carsales is a beautiful car but somewhere along the line the WOW will become OW and finding bits for it will be an issue. Steering racks needing parts, return hoses and electrics playing up all come up as common issues. But what a car! I guess it all depends how pigheaded you are.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 2nd December 2019 at 09:48 PM.
    JohnW likes this.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yes, definitely get an XM I guarantee you will have very strong feelings for it within a very short time
    FIVEDOOR and alhantos like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

It depends on what you want it for. If you want a decent daily driver on a budget, look for an earlier X7 series 2.0HDi, either the RHR or RHH versions. The V6 HDis and 2.2s are excellent cars, but a decent 2.0HDi would be the sensible choice and the least costly to keep on the road. There are also petrol 4 cylinders, being either the EW10 4 cylinder mated to our old friend the AL4 (e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333233121298 ) or the 1.6 turbo petrol EP6 mated to a 6 speed auto. Not all had spheres to suspend them, which is fine for those not wanting the apparent complication of hydropneumatics.

If you want the earlier hatch series C5, then you get the XM's functionality with the C5's better systems and parts. The 6 speed autos are the cars to buy, either the very under-rated 3.0 petrol V6 or the more common 2.0HDi (RHR engine) or perhaps a 2.2 HDi version. The even earlier cars are quite OK, if maintained, but you must remember they are approaching 20 in some cases. The earliest HDis with the AL4 and non-Hydractive (aka Hydractive 3) suspension weren't all that fast, but are relatively simple, no FAP to go wrong, very economical on fuel, plenty of used parts available, ride well and don't have the rubber suspension hoses that let go expensively in the Hydractive 3+ versions. The more complaint 15 inch tyres are a bonus too compared to the later cars.

The XM is increasingly hard to get parts for relative to the C5, so you have to plan ahead in a way that you really don't with a more common C5. It's probably hard to go past a well-cared for early X7 Exclusive for $10K or less or maybe one of the later hatch HDis from 2006-2008.
    Motorgnome likes this.

I guess its time to come clean.
    I have a 1974 DS23 safari wagon which is a restoration project. I've had it for many years. I tore into it as one does when i first got it but work and family pressures slowed the project down.
    I am a mechanic and also have an electronics certificate and been around cars all my life.
    Mechanically, the DS23 is quite sound and I've easily been able to cope with the things its needed. What has slowed me considerably is bodywork which I'm not able to do much of - just don't have the skills. Its not riddled with rust, but does have some. The roof was rusted out across the top of the screen where some idiot had packed the ledge with silastic to stop a leak. I have a fantastic condition roof to go back on but the rails are rusty down the sides and need new sections welded in. I've coped with putting panels in a hole in the floor and in the load area under the dicky seats.
    Its got some ways to go and its stuff i can't do myself so have to farm it out. money. And transporting it.
    But I haven't lost interest - I so much want to get it back on the road.

In the meantime, I drive a 2003 E39 BMW 530i Sportswagon - full M equipped. No - not an M5, but every M-option otherwise available. I have the buildsheet. When the airbags were done by the dealer year before last, the mechanics looked it over and they looked it up and there are only 8 in Australia. It was a special build order and I'm the second owner.
    I love it.
    But my wife doesn't. Its too low and she gets car sick in it. She says the seat is too hard (M-seats that hug you with the extendable knee bolster). My drivers eat is the most comfortable car seat i can remember having and I can drive in it for hours. Done Brisbane to Sydney straight through in 10 hours when i originally bought the car several years ago.

Both in our early 60's and enjoying car trips on weekends and long weekends away. But I can never take mine despite it being such a great distance car. The 3litre straight six is a pure joy.

So I've been thinking to possibly replace it with something we can both enjoy. With the DS23 an unfinished project, my mind turned to getting a driving Citroen with the comfortable seats and the legendary hydraulic ride.
    Hence the seeing the XM on Car Sales, and then when it was suggested i consider a C5 i liked the idea even more.

Do very much prefer a wagon though.
    Do want auto.
    Do want the hydraulics and the ride quality it gives.
    Engine choice concerns me because i don't want a huge drop from the 170kw BMW.
    Has to be under $15k as a maximum - prefer to be around $12k.
    C6 would be great too being the prestige model and bigger motors, but I don't think they fall into my price range and i know nothing about their reliability or foibles.

So that's the full story.
    Trading Estate likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

There was someone on this site wanting a Traction recently. After much thought and discussion the person bought, I think, a Renault Dauphine with the thoughts that it was cheap compared with the Traction and so on.
    So yes, a Dauphine is a wonderful very French car with lots of character but if you were to compare them for excitement, good engineering etc the Traction would be way ahead.
    Maybe it is a bit like this. I would never own an XM but I admire the people that do and if one was to pick which one is the real classic between these two we all know which one it is. If one is looking for reliability we go one way and if we want something for pure pleasure and historic value we buy something else.

John

Default Xm / c5??

With that end "of the story" - it's a C5!! (Wagon).
    You'll be fighting with the wife for it!

Have look at the CX turbo prestige that is for sale. It look particually nice in the photos. Like most things good it isn't going to be cheap though! There is also a CX turbo for sale extraudinarily cheaply in the for sale section here.

Be warned, they are an old car now, spectacular no doubt. Think 70's era ventilation and air conditioning that is all but useless.

You need to take your wife with you if you test drive a CX/DS. They are *not* easy to get in and out of, especially a turbo with its big soft seats. You "fall" into the car when it is laying on the ground and need to climb back out.

The CX turbo won't be fast in the way your BMW is, but its an effortless performance that is quite fun.

This is going to sound like a dumb suggestion. But if you don't want the hassle of an old car (and everything we are talking about here .... will require constant upkeep, simply because its old). Get your wife to sit in a new Citroen Cactus. The way it drives and rides reminds me of a older Renault. The seats and suspension are soft like an 80's era Renault. eg: 19/fuego/25. Its the last car I'd ever buy, but I have to admit, my parents Cactus really impresses me... if feels like a proper french car.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Last edited by DoubleChevron; 3rd December 2019 at 10:00 AM.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks for the comments.
    I think what I was trying to get across was to replace the BMW with a more modern and reliable car (Citroen C5 perhaps) which has the features of the DS23 Safari that I still want to build.
    ie: instant gratification of a car that will meet both my wifes approval to ride in without feeling ill, and give me the hydraulics that I admire so much in earlier Citroens.
    The XM seemed a solution because it looks to be in such good condition and I'd have little/nothing to do to it. But on reflection, the C5 in a wagon would seem to be a more practical solution if I can find a later than 2008 model, with hydraulics, a wagon, auto and possibly with the 6 cylinder (although the engine seems to be hard to find and I look to have a choice of 4 cyl petrol or diesel instead).
    I'm probably asking the impossible though unless very lucky.
    I'd consider other suggestions if they fit the bill.

1000+ Posts

For sensible and reliable, your bill will be fitted by a C5 Comfort or Exclusive from around 2012. These have full hydraulics, and electric adjust very supportive soft seats. The improved 2.0 RHH motor is more powerful than earlier RHR models and has an excellent reputation. Regarding oomph, the diesel lacks your Beemer's horsepower but has immense torque. These 2.0 motors can easily lose your licence, and the 4 cylinder engine is easier to maintain and service than the 6 cylinder. If your wife gets to drive one of these, particularly on a trip, she won't let you walk away from it.

There is a demand for waggons so keep a sharp look if you don't want a sedan.

The engine code is in the VIN, at position 6.
    leithant likes this.

just buy this and fix up the bit of damage https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001...sedan?spr=true
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

JBN

A member of the NSW CCC recently acquired a first shape C5 to replace a written off Xantia. He said he preferred the original C5 from an ascetic point of view. Being an ex TAFE automotive lecturer, the mechanics of anything doesn't worry him. The car would have been next to nothing to acquire so that would have increased its appeal.

I tend to agree that the first C5 looked far more Citroen than the later Peugeot influenced C5's. I guess those with artistic flair buy on looks, those with a need for a regular daily driver buy on reliability and those with the money and no interest in self maintenance buy new. Its horses for courses and if you have two horses any course is good, the rougher the better.

John

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    just buy this and fix up the bit of damage https://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001...sedan?spr=true
    That would be nice indeed.
    But bodywork is my weak point unless its bolt off/bolt on. And then its unregistered so even if drive-able it will have to be trucked up here to Sydney.

I've bought interstate cars before and driven them back to Sydney and re-registered them here. But they were state registered and drive-able.
    Unless I was extremely sure of myself and the car, I don't think I'd buy a smashed unregistered car at auction.
    Blown motor, blown diff, electrics not working - no problem for me to work through. But bodywork I'm just no good at.

1000+ Posts

Here's a spot of luck. The C5 Comfort or Exclusive brochure from 2010 with all the particulars is still online. If ultra-smooth ride is a criterion look at the smaller wheels with the larger ratio tyres fitted.
    http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/C...ure_201009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ss2115 View Post
    That would be nice indeed.
    But bodywork is my weak point unless its bolt off/bolt on. And then its unregistered so even if drive-able it will have to be trucked up here to Sydney.

I've bought interstate cars before and driven them back to Sydney and re-registered them here. But they were state registered and drive-able.
    Unless I was extremely sure of myself and the car, I don't think I'd buy a smashed unregistered car at auction.
    Blown motor, blown diff, electrics not working - no problem for me to work through. But bodywork I'm just no good at.
    Its hard to know. I''m guessing it needs a bootlids and bumper. I could probably get someone in the UK to send anything out to me I needed (I wouldn't care if it was a 6 month wait on parts). I could probably patch it all together for now. You obvoiusly need to check nothing is out of alignment in the body. it doesn't look like much of a hit though.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

That C6 is strictly for gamblers. The cost of the obvious parts is horrendous and it has an odd history. See the other thread.
    I just took a look at Continental Cars (Punchbowl) website, and they have 2 blue C5 X7s, of different ages. You pay dealer 2/hand pricing, but get the best Cit dealer and workshop in the country as backup.
    jaahn and JohnW like this.

1000+ Posts

I have seen video clips of the XM wagon - what a shame PSA didn't import them, I'd have one like a shot! No doubt there's the odd personal import, but I can't say I've seen one.

The great thing about my yr 2000 XM is that the body and paint are so good. OK paint is not perfect, but it must have been garaged for a fair bit of it's life. Internally it's also very good, with the exception of a broken panel at the front of the dash, and crumbly plastic on the auto T-bar handle. The only part of it that terrifies me is the 4HP20 auto - they just don't seem to be a reliable transmission, and overhauls are very pricey!

When I bought my XM, it needed a good general service, including brake disks & pads, & new spheres. It is leaking some engine oil (drips on the garage floor), still gives the odd thump from the auto (hopefully just needs another fluid change), cruise control doesn't work and it needs P/S bushes changed. I have other cars to drive, so have been a bit slack about getting remaining issues sorted.

Jason Hantos says the best way to fix things in an XM engine bay is to get the drive train out on the garage floor - then you get access to everything. I think if/when the hydraulic rubber return hoses need to be replaced, I will pay him (or someone else) to pull out the engine & gearbox, then fix the oil leaks & replace everything that needs it. Hopefully that will coincide with the next time the timing belt need replacing!

Does your wife get carsick in the BMW because the ride is very firm, and even a bit jiggly?? The XM with new spheres really is completely the opposite! In fact it can be too soft for some - it can also upset middle ears (like being on a cruise ship with a cyclone nearby). In fact on a trip down the Oxley Highway to Port Macquarie (& back) I was glad to use the sport button in the slow windy bits to control the excess body movement. However once we got through the windy section, it was very pleasant to return to "normal" mode and enjoy the comfort.

On the other hand - the button is there and so you have some control over the quality of the ride. I have to say, having had a couple of Xantias with Hydractive suspension (has the same system as the XM - extra spheres + electronics to provide variable damping), this XM finally lets us feel a true soft & floaty Citroen ride.

Cheers

Alec
    Motorgnome likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    A member of the NSW CCC recently acquired a first shape C5 to replace a written off Xantia. He said he preferred the original C5 from an ascetic point of view. Being an ex TAFE automotive lecturer, the mechanics of anything doesn't worry him. The car would have been next to nothing to acquire so that would have increased its appeal.

I tend to agree that the first C5 looked far more Citroen than the later Peugeot influenced C5's. I guess those with artistic flair buy on looks, those with a need for a regular daily driver buy on reliability and those with the money and no interest in self maintenance buy new. Its horses for courses and if you have two horses any course is good, the rougher the better.

John
    So aesthetics aside, were there more things wrong with early C5's than later? ie: pre 2008 v post 2008.
    Motor reliability?
    Particular problems?
    Did later models gain a huge amount of creature comforts over earlier models? eg: elec heated seats, auto wipers, auto headlights, entertainment media.
    I got the impression originally that post 2008 made significant steps forward in reliability and ride/handling etc rather than it just being cosmetic differences.

1000+ Posts

I posted the X7 brochure above. The first series brochure is at http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/C...ure_200504.pdf

Aesthetics - X7 wins
    Creature comforts - depends on type. Exclusive has everything. See the X7 brochure
    Auto wipers go with xenons - see brochure. Lower grades have halogen - these are 10 yo cars.

Engines: HDI engines keep getting better as Euro rules change. . The RHR motor carried into the early X7. Then came the far superior and more powerful Euro 5 RHH. Finally at the end of the run we get the Euro 6 engine. Reliability and longevity gets better with each version.

The X7 car isn't a development of the two earlier C5s. The number code simply indicates size. It has a totally new stronger body and suspension. The driven front is now on double high wishbones (Mercedes style) and the rear on multilink on a lightweight cross beam. Computerised fast acting hydraulics are used for a better ride The non-hydraulic sprung version of the floor pan went on to become the Peugeot 508 GT. There are developments like the auto handbrake.

PS Get an idea of the interior (and seats) flicking through the pics in the Continental ad for a 2012 car - https://continentalcars.com.au/car-for-sale/2511-bzw72s-citroen-c5/

PPS The steering wheel hub does not rotate, so the switches stay in the same spot.
    Last edited by seasink; 4th December 2019 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I posted the X7 brochure above. The first series brochure is at http://australiancar.reviews/_pdfs/C...ure_200504.pdf

Aesthetics - X7 wins
    Creature comforts - depends on type. Exclusive has everything. See the X7 brochure
    Auto wipers go with xenons - see brochure. Lower grades have halogen - these are 10 yo cars.

Engines: HDI engines keep getting better as Euro rules change. . The RHR motor carried into the early X7. Then came the far superior and more powerful Euro 5 RHH. Finally at the end of the run we get the Euro 6 engine. Reliability and longevity gets better with each version.

The X7 car isn't a development of the two earlier C5s. The number code simply indicates size. It has a totally new stronger body and suspension. The driven front is now on double high wishbones (Mercedes style) and the rear on multilink on a lightweight cross beam. Computerised fast acting hydraulics are used for a better ride The non-hydraulic sprung version of the floor pan went on to become the Peugeot 508 GT. There are developments like the auto handbrake.

PS Get an idea of the interior (and seats) flicking through the pics in the Continental ad for a 2012 car - https://continentalcars.com.au/car-for-sale/2511-bzw72s-citroen-c5/

PPS The steering wheel hub does not rotate, so the switches stay in the same spot.
    Thank you.
    Nice quick summary.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information