C5 glovebox lid
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C5 glovebox lid

Default C5 glovebox lid

Well, having written off my beloved C5, I now have another almost identical, 2010 Comfort HDi, silver and low miles 56,000. Drives beautifully. Lucky to find it in Perth. New tyres and timing belt. The only thing that is a problem is the glovebox lid which I didn't notice before I took it away from the dealer. The lefthand latch on the glovebox won't withdraw fully, and the lever which opens it is sort of loose. I can force the lid open with difficulty, and figure there must be some way of actually removing it and taking it apart, as I the latch still appears to be attached to the opening mechanism. Does any one know how I can remove the glovebox lid? It probably needs some of the trim surrounding it and the fusebox. Don't want to damage anything. Grateful for any advice.

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger

Have you tried dealer used car warranty, which I assume applies in WA as in other states??? The glovebox latch issue is likely to be an internal problem where the latch control rod has popped out of the holder inside the lid. There is one handle and two latches, connected by a rod inside the lid. New lids are expensive. However, you can prise the two sides of the lid moulding apart, refit the latch control (assuming that is the fault), secure the clips with a cable tie/wire tie and reassemble the lid with urethane. I can't recall how the lid comes off, but it won't be too difficult. Don't snap off the arm that limits movement or you will be adding a rope as the check strap!

For the record, this is what is most likely inside the lid and how it can fail ...
    X7_Glovebox_Latch2.jpgX7_GloveboxLatchMechanism.jpgX7_GloveboxLid2.jpg

Supposedly, Citroen improved the lid after a couple of years production.

Allen,

See if this helps, it is for a LHD but it should be similar. I seem to remember some big white hinge pins.

Cheers, Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Ken. Looking at that, and the tools you need, I'll leave it to the professionals. A new lid is an astronomical price, but can't do without it. A second hand one I doubt is an option. It would probably be broken during removal. Anyway, the rest of the car is in terrific shape, so I'll have to roll with the punches.

Allen

1000+ Posts

A set of plastic trim removing tools as shown in the pics can be bought at any car place for about $20. If you own a modern car you need a set.

Fellow Frogger

There will certainly be good used lids around, but it really isn't that hard to split for an entirely satisfactory repair.

The Citroen dealer in Perth quoted approx $880 for the lid plus $160 for fitting, but said they had one in stock they would like to move on and I could have it for around $660 plus fitting. However Greg (Double Chevron) has sourced a new one one in France for $384, a more than somewhat better deal, as I'm sure you'll agree. But what a shocking dealer mark-up. I'll have Perth Ciity Citroen fit it, because at 84 I'm just not as supple as I used to be and I don't want to bugger something up which might lead to even more expense. Thanks to everyone for the helpful feedback. What a great site AussieFrogs is! Allen.

Thread Information