BX 16v - what model is the Sauvage?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default BX 16v - what model is the Sauvage?

Hello, I'm pretty new here (posted on the peugeot thread once cos I was looking at a 205GTi)

I'm now looking at a BX GTi, and it's a 'Sauvage' - my old man reckons this is the bx equivalent of a pallas, but I thought I'd seen BX Pallas models

can anyone shed some light?

Advertisement

I doubt that a "Sauvage" would be a 16V or a Gti in a 16V.
    The designated Gti in a 16V were never imported into Australia for a couple of reasons, the main one being that it didn't have a catalytic converter which by this time was mandatory in Australia.
    If it's a 16V at best it may have a leather interior which a few of them did.
    The Sauvage was a special version brought in as a dollied up version of the 8 valve BX. I can't remember the full specs on them but doubtless someone here will, but from all accounts there were only a handful imported into Australia and the ones I've heard of were all autos. That's not to say they are ALL autos or that they had the Gti mechanical specs.
    Chances are your father could be correct in that they may be = to a Pallas, as the Pallas wasn't imported here as such from memory.
    Here's a full list of BX varients, strangely, the Sauvage isn't mentioned even though we know they existed.

http://www.citroenz.com/BX/variants3.html

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi Alan,

I saw a manual Sauvage out at Penrith recently. Not sure about the suspension settings but the engine looked very much like a TRi on the surface. It had leather interior and a big spoiler on the back, as well as a sunroof. Seems as though the Sauvage was an Oz only model?

Paul

PS

Looked just like this ( only red)

http://www.bilavefur.com/myndasafn/C...oen_BX_GTi.jpg
    Last edited by Paul Smith; 6th June 2004 at 12:05 AM.
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

well I don't know much about the engine layouts from looking at them, but it's got sauvage down the side, velour interior, and it comes with a manual that says BX GTi. I think the guy said it was a 16V but his father in law may have said it was a 12V (do these exist?)

Anyway I'll find out tomorrow morning when I take it to Dad's old mechanic to check out.

Well Paul's description fits that of the Sauvage's that I've been given; as I said, I had only ever heard of autos but I had little doubt that they existed although manufacturers have a habit of making special editions with those kinds of features.
    The 16V engine will look like this (minus the throttle bodies) and the rocker cover will have "16V" moulded into it as this one in the pic has and unless it's been powder coated, it will be black.

http://members.fortunecity.com/bxdri...neapril042.jpg

All Sauvages had leather to my knowledge but that's not to say it hasn't been replaced at some stage with velour. If it's a 16V the interior should look like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/bxdri...6vaprilint.jpg

To be a 16V with a pram handle spoiler and be marked "Gti" it has to be the 160BHP series one in which case go looking for the compliance plate as it will be a personal import.
    There's not a chance that perhaps the word "Sauvage" was mistaken for something else? Like "Soupapes"? If it has, it's definitely a 16V

http://www.citroenz.com/BX/images/Ad16v.jpg

If it's not a 16V, don't just walk away from it as the 8 valve versions particularly in the GTi version perform almost as well as the 16V versions and are less problems maintenancewise to keep on the road.

Alan S
    Last edited by Alan S; 6th June 2004 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Well Paul's description fits that of the Sauvage's that I've been given; as I said, I had only ever heard of autos but I had little doubt that they existed although manufacturers have a habit of making special editions with those kinds of features.
    The 16V engine will look like this (minus the throttle bodies) and the rocker cover will have "16V" moulded into it as this one in the pic has and unless it's been powder coated, it will be black.

http://members.fortunecity.com/bxdri...neapril042.jpg

All Sauvages had leather to my knowledge but that's not to say it hasn't been replaced at some stage with velour. If it's a 16V the interior should look like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/bxdri...6vaprilint.jpg

To be a 16V with a pram handle spoiler and be marked "Gti" it has to be the 160BHP series one in which case go looking for the compliance plate as it will be a personal import.
    There's not a chance that perhaps the word "Sauvage" was mistaken for something else? Like "Soupapes"? If it has, it's definitely a 16V

http://www.citroenz.com/BX/images/Ad16v.jpg

If it's not a 16V, don't just walk away from it as the 8 valve versions particularly in the GTi version perform almost as well as the 16V versions and are less problems maintenancewise to keep on the road.

Alan S
    There's definitely a red one in Perth.

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    There's definitely a red one in Perth.

JohnW
    But what? A Red 16V? - A Red 16V series one? - A Red 8Valve Sauvage? - Or a mule; a 16V Sauvage???

That's the one that doesn't sound kosher!!

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    But what? A Red 16V? - A Red 16V series one? - A Red 8Valve Sauvage? - Or a mule; a 16V Sauvage???

That's the one that doesn't sound kosher!!

Alan S
    Now there's a good question. I've seen it parked once or twice about 6 km from here. Well named "Sauvage" as it is a pretty assertive looking car. The odd spoiler device sets it apart. I think it has a 16V badge and that's all I know.

Cheers

JohnW

(Should have our new pet next week - she's in hospital having a few things done that I really haven't time for at present.)

I bought it!

I'll put some pics up tomorrow - actually I guess that's today since it's past midnight.

Alan - It says SAUVAGE down the side, so that's for certain. It's a manual, and has velour interior.

I'm pretty sure it's a 16V, although it doesn't say 16V on the cover like that pic someone posted, but the manual has pics of the interior which is identical, and says Citroen BX GTi 16V on the front.

It certainly goes like there's a 16V in it, so either way I'm happy.
    There's pretty much nothing wrong with the car, needs a new front left CV boot but the joint is still good, and might need a timing belt, we're trying to trace back with the mechanic if that's been done. I only paid $2250!

It's got the big spoiler on it like the one paul posted, and looks pretty much the same (except black)

the sunroof's runners are rusted - seems the only thing that wasn't plastic or galvanised on the car - we've siliconed it shut till I can source or make up some bits for that.

From my limited BX knowledge, the Sauvage was a body kit addition (skirts, rear wing, front air dam and discreet orange Sauvage stickers on the side) . There was a pale blue BX19GT (leaded first series) that used to be owned by a chap called Phil Ward here. He ordered the kit specifically when the car was new way back in about 1986, and it was delivered with the kit fitted.

I've discovered it's an 8V, not a 16.

I'm not really too disappointed because it goes like a shower of, um, poo, and looks very cool.

This would mean it doesn't have ABS I think?
    Going to head out with the camera now for some photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mench
    I've discovered it's an 8V, not a 16.

I'm not really too disappointed because it goes like a shower of, um, poo, and looks very cool.

This would mean it doesn't have ABS I think?
    Going to head out with the camera now for some photos
    Nothing wrong with a flat torque curve!!

It'll be pretty obvious if it has ABS - a badge maybe and lots more pipework underneath.

JohnW

john - no ABS badge, but then it doesn't have a BX badge or a GTi badge either.

here's a shot

there's a bunch more at http://members.iinet.net.au/~computyp/james/bx but they're still in huge file format (600k each), I haven't shrunk them down yet.

There are also at least 2 red ones & a dk grey Au Sauvage that I know of in Perth. Have seen that black one many times over the years. Last club day I saw it at was about 4 yrs ago & it was in very good nick then. I think Geoff @ Chevron Downunder worked on that one if it helps. Dont think they are 16V's?
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Really sweet looking car that's for sure.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep about it being 8 & not 16 valve. They will blow wind up a 16s arrrr arrr exhaust anyway and are a sight less drama to keep going.
    From an appearance point of view can I suggest that the hhmmm "dice" get the chop before you start getting called all kinds of strange nick names and your anscestry comes into question, and if you want to colour code your bumpers which really do look much better than that retro "ripple black that always goes grey when full of crap" top section of your bumpers.
    As an example, here's my sons TZi that is silver but had the ripply black bit that we colour coded. It's not a cheap operation but as you can see, very effective.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/gallery/images/adrians_5.jpg

Congrats, hope you get many miles out of it; at the price, very good buying.

Alan S

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra
    There are also at least 2 red ones & a dk grey Au Sauvage that I know of in Perth. Have seen that black one many times over the years. Last club day I saw it at was about 4 yrs ago & it was in very good nick then. I think Geoff @ Chevron Downunder worked on that one if it helps. Dont think they are 16V's?
    yep I know Geoff has been working on it, the guy who sold me it has been very helpful. My old man is an ex-treausurer of A.C.E. so we've got a few contacts, I think Pascal Ding will be doing most of the work on it from now on, he's a good mate of Dad's. Got to call Geoff to find out if he knows when the timing belt was done

Alan- the dice were a present from my girlfriend, they're there for a little while to keep her happy, in a few days I'm taking them down and telling her the cops didn't like them

I don't want to have them up for long if only cos the muffler's illegal, and a yellow sticker is never fun.
    Last edited by Mench; 8th June 2004 at 03:19 AM.

Tadpole

The red bx16v in Perth belongs to me just out of interest sakes. Completely stock and coming into its first winter with me. While I'm posting this, just a quick question. The carpet at the back is absolutely soaking. Water is definitely coming in from the outside, but I'm not quite sure where and how it is getting in. Any advice would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by new2bx16v
    The red bx16v in Perth belongs to me just out of interest sakes. Completely stock and coming into its first winter with me. While I'm posting this, just a quick question. The carpet at the back is absolutely soaking. Water is definitely coming in from the outside, but I'm not quite sure where and how it is getting in. Any advice would be great.
    Mate,

I'll post another thread as this one's getting a bit big and messy.
    It's a simple but common cause with as simple a cure....I'll post under the heading, Blocked sunroof drains, if that's any clue.

Alan S

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

If it's a carby 1.9litre BX GT motor you will find it's the most powerful motor in the 1.9litre guise we had imported (except for the 16valve of course). The only problem is you have the hassles of a carby ...

But she'll certainly move. Apparantly 16valves are nothing exciting unless you have 4500rpm on the tacho. That's usually where I change up You certainly don't get to use many more revs than about 3500rpm in general day to day traveling, especially if it involves traffic.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hey there & welcome onboard......which 16V did you end up getting? When I had my 16V a few years back there were about 15 in WA that I knew of but think there are probably only about 10 left. I sold mine with 170,000km on it & it was immaculate & I often see it around still. Bloody good car I thought, poles apart from the 1.9 TRi I also had.
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Hmmm... I remember looking at a silver BX not all that long ago at a car yard in Wangara, and I vaguely remember it having Sauvage stickering on it. The trim was something like a TRi (definitely not 16V trim) and it had a 1.9 fuel injected 8 valve engine.

Troy.

I was following a red BX16V down the Farmer freeway a couple of Saturdays ago (late afternoon, and also the Saturday before that). That wouldn't happened to been yours by any chance.

Troy.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    I was following a red BX16V down the Farmer freeway a couple of Saturdays ago (late afternoon, and also the Saturday before that). That wouldn't happened to been yours by any chance.

Troy.
    Yeah that would have been me. I live in South Perth and always drive down the Farmer freeway. This forum seems like a godsend.
    So where do Perth Citroen owners take their cars for servicing and repairs. That is if you guys arent all enthusiast DIY'ers. The previous owner went to Eurocare but I'm a bit sceptical about this place based on the sevice log books (alot of repeated work just months apart).

Icon7

Well done!!!
    That's a nice looking BX, the black paint looks in great condition too.
    Hope you have as much fun as I do with mine. It's great to see people buying up the bx's to look after them, and saving them from the scrapheap!

All the best and happy driving

Yeah that would have been me. I live in South Perth and always drive down the Farmer freeway. This forum seems like a godsend.
    So where do Perth Citroen owners take their cars for servicing and repairs. That is if you guys arent all enthusiast DIY'ers. The previous owner went to Eurocare but I'm a bit sceptical about this place based on the sevice log books (alot of repeated work just months apart).
    I'd say without a doubt the best place cost, honesty, professionalism & knowledge wise for a 16V would have to be Mark Dyson @ Euromotive in Osbourne Park. I have tried everyone over the years & he is the best on all model Citroens, Peugeots & Renaults. As far as I know he works on about 10 BX's at the moment from what I've seen when I have been in there. He works on my Xsara, D Special & CX's faultlessly. Tell him Justin sent you & he will look after you for sure. Good luck with the 16V. My old one "1AHM 499" was one of the best cars I have owned, so much more style than an Mi16 & they are ageing a lot better. Marks details are below.

EUROMOTIVE MECHANICAL SERVICES
    9/ 83 Hector St West Osborne Park 6017 (08) 9446 8890
    www.euromotive.com.au
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information