DS headlight buckets - colour code or not?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveS
  • 1 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By robo

Thread: DS headlight buckets - colour code or not?

Default DS headlight buckets - colour code or not?

Hi Gents,

Opinions required If originality is put aside, which at time could be interesting if done correctly in my opinion.
    Would it be very wrong to colour code the headlight buckets? and secondly would it affect the effectiveness of projecting light on the tarmac?

See photo where this has been done. My car is currently stripped and all the panels are being painted Daytona Grey, which is similar in colour tone to car in attached photo ...

Cheers

Antracite.jpg

Advertisement
    robo likes this.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

I had done a similar thing with a DSpecial in a dark grey. The colour you have chosen is beautiful even though it may not be "original"

However, painting the buckets the same colour doesn't seem to work somehow, and removes one of the interesting visual aspects of the DS.

The "experts" will tell you that no paint is to be used, and that sanding the buckets back to original is the only way. Which of course is bollocks because after 50 years -specially in Australia - the plastics have discoloured. So I think with a colour like your antracite, a lighter shade of grey - to your- preference would suit the headlight nicely. And even though it wouldn't be the "orig" colour , it would be the original intent with new materials. I think this is what DSs need: to be made beautiful using today's technology, whilst keeping the original intent. They deserve no less.
    SteveS likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Thanks for your reply Harrison. I think your use of the words " original intent" in the context of restoration and preservation of these cars is important. I've spent most weekend thinking about the best route to follow with these buckets. The problem i've created with going with "Daytona Grey" on the body panels is that keeping the buckets in it original colour will be too much of a contrast. In fact by looking at photos of all black DS models and sporting the original colour buckets looks wrong to me. I may well be wrong - just my take on matters.
    Last edited by SteveS; 11th November 2019 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Thanks for your reply Harrison. I think your use of the words " original intent" in the context of restoration and preservation of these cars is important. I've spent most weekend thinking about the best route to follow with these buckets. The problem i've created with going with "Daytona Grey" on the body panels is that keeping the buckets in it original colour will be too much of a contrast. In fact by looking at photos of all black DS models and sporting the original colour buckets looks wrong to me. I may well be wrong - just my take on matters.
    Hi Steve,
    I have a black DS and have also wondered what they would look like black. Have you thought about using vinyl wrap instead of paint I know that wouldn’t be easy or maybe possible at all but if you don’t like it you can take it off.
    Last edited by robo; 11th November 2019 at 10:04 PM.
    SteveS likes this.

Hi Robo, maybe a good idea, as you say if it does not work one could just revert ...

Tadpole

I guess it’s a matter of personal taste and the level of perfection you aspire to achieve.
    My preference is the raw plastic even if slightly imperfect but my objective is to keep some patina rather and be able to use the car more freely.

The sanding I have found satisfactory but I do wonder how long before it discolours again. I wonder if a clear coat might help or just look unsightly if and when it starts to deteriorate?

Johno I have been told that clear coat wont last, but have no clue in that regard.

I know purists will condemn me for this, but I think I may make the buckets the same colour as the car, as per the image in my original post ...

Fellow Frogger!

Original DS headlights , especially low beam, are not very bright. I thought the purpose of light coloured buckets was to help reflect , given the light source is recessed.

Thread Information