• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bleudanube

Thread: What is this wire for?

Default What is this wire for?

3D34C6B5-D748-4F4F-AAE6-56B90FC105A1.jpeg

Advertisement

It was just lying like this on the fuel tank.

On the other hand it was correctly (?) run in the sill and from there to - somewhere. Not to the dashboard, it seems.

AB089F72-3A89-45F2-87BB-FE9FC06CC48C.jpeg

Whereas the wire for the fuel gauge in the dashboard was just running through a corner of the lid over the tank/under the rear seat.

B44E8785-B03C-4398-B3A4-A4F40B0657FB.jpeg

What is it for? Just the old wire for the fuel gauge?

Christian
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

Hello, I know we all keep saying 'just drive it', and again, if everything works, leave it alone.
    You could check if it has a 12 supply (test lamp or multimeter). If it does or doesn't, insulate the end and tape it down.
    You will have a rat's nest of wiring to contend with when you pull the engine out in a couple of years time.
    Another thing to buy, a fire extinguisher. Mine is mounted on top of the driver's sill, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by badabec View Post
    Hello, I know we all keep saying 'just drive it', and again, if everything works, leave it alone.
    You could check if it has a 12 supply (test lamp or multimeter). If it does or doesn't, insulate the end and tape it down.
    You will have a rat's nest of wiring to contend with when you pull the engine out in a couple of years time.
    Another thing to buy, a fire extinguisher. Mine is mounted on top of the driver's sill, just in case.
    Thanks. I think it was the smell. I could not stand it. While my MG smells seductively of petrol and leather and bakelit of my childhood, the DS arrived with the distinct stench of half-moldy textiles and rancid oils of my nightmares. Out went carpets and foams etc. and cleaning started. Hence all the interesting items that showed up underneath. And went on to this excellent and patient forum. Sorry about that and thank you for engaging anyway.
    Engine out in a couple of years (cough) time...
    One thing that came with this lovely and original car was a splendid and most non-original fire extinguisher. So far so good.
    The wire has a brown sleeve. Diagram would point to interior lights - which also work.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by Bundegaard View Post
    Thanks. I think it was the smell. I could not stand it. While my MG smells seductively of petrol and leather and bakelit of my childhood, the DS arrived with the distinct stench of half-moldy textiles and rancid oils of my nightmares. Out went carpets and foams etc. and cleaning started. Hence all the interesting items that showed up underneath. And went on to this excellent and patient forum. Sorry about that and thank you for engaging anyway.
    Engine out in a couple of years (cough) time...
    One thing that came with this lovely and original car was a splendid and most non-original fire extinguisher. So far so good.
    The wire has a brown sleeve. Diagram would point to interior lights - which also work.
    A brown sleeve indicates ground. Your connection to the sender itself is I believe yellow. The brown sleeved wire should be attached to one of the sender's attaching screws. That's all the wire there should be at the tank. The interior lamps ground at either the door switches or at the dash switch. The door switches ground directly to the "A" post, the dash switch is connected to a system wide ground wire- almost like a CAN-BUS- which finally leads to a ground stud behind the dash on the firewall.

And yes, I'm American. SoCal to be exact.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    A brown sleeve indicates ground. Your connection to the sender itself is I believe yellow. The brown sleeved wire should be attached to one of the sender's attaching screws. That's all the wire there should be at the tank. The interior lamps ground at either the door switches or at the dash switch. The door switches ground directly to the "A" post, the dash switch is connected to a system wide ground wire- almost like a CAN-BUS- which finally leads to a ground stud behind the dash on the firewall.

And yes, I'm American. SoCal to be exact.
    Thank you, Hotrodelectric. As expected, I learn a lot in here. Much appreciated.
    Now I have to guess which one of the senderís screws I shall attach it to, right? - or does it not matter? I hesitate doing a lot of trial-and-ERROR right on the fuel tank. A new old car can be a bit intimidating, I must admit.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

The earth wire is attached to one of the two screws on the top of the sender unit. The one furthest away from the pin (RH side) where the sender wire is attached to.
    Hotrodelectric likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Isn't your sender already earthed? I'm referring to one of the photos you posted.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Isn't your sender already earthed? I'm referring to one of the photos you posted.
    Yes, that was what I thought - therefore I assumed it was an old wire, or that it belonged somewhere else:

56512FB7-C970-4B1D-9C13-5C7139BDC669.jpeg
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

As you can see, the sender has been wired more recently (the black wire is more recent and just run through a corner cut off in the lid over the tank) - perhaps in connection with the mounting of a new fuel pump.

9B72FB9A-2DA4-4625-B027-C3A14BBE61FB.jpeg
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

Yes, that was what I thought - therefore I assumed it was an old wire, or that it belonged somewhere else:

56512FB7-C970-4B1D-9C13-5C7139BDC669.jpeg
    Yah, you would be right to think so, but most any D I've ever seen has that ground wire. I'm pretty sure it was added because the mounting straps are semi-insulated, and the tank is painted.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrodelectric View Post
    Yah, you would be right to think so, but most any D I've ever seen has that ground wire. I'm pretty sure it was added because the mounting straps are semi-insulated, and the tank is painted.
    Belt and suspenders, I see. Makes sense. So it would be sensible to reconnect this extra earth.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

More puzzles:

223327E8-24AD-490E-B469-2DECB4B59EB8.jpeg

What is sticking out of the bulkhead? With a yellow sleeve? And where would the dangling blue one belong?
    Last edited by Bundegaard; 13th November 2019 at 08:05 AM.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

More puzzles:

223327E8-24AD-490E-B469-2DECB4B59EB8.jpeg

What is sticking out of the bulkhead? With a yellow sleeve? And where would the dangling blue one belong?
    Soryy to say, Christian, but none of those wires are in their correct positions. Nothing goes through the firewall like that from the factory. Could you possibly trace them through the firewall to where they lead? I know it'll be a bit difficult working around the back of the engine, you might use some help to push and pull on the wire while you look with a torch to locate the wire from the engine compartment side of the bulkhead.

By the way, I see it now in your signature line- a '64 DS. The first of the second style dashes. I thought manual shift wasn't available on the DS until' 68?

Yes, it is a bit weird with that metal tube there - like it had been for some pressure run thing, heating or... anyway I will of course check where it leads to on the engine side.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

Really? Well, I am in Moscow right now, so I don’t have Reynolds and de Lange at hand, but would manual not be an option also on DS, since the advent of the ID? All identification says DS 1964. But you never know of course.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

Here you are, manual since the year before: “The later and simpler ID19 had the same gearbox and clutch, manually operated. This configuration was offered as a cheaper option for the DS in 1963.”
    I think mine is from early 1964, before April that year and the colour placette in the engine bay for example.
    1964 CitroŽn DS19

Thread Information