• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomatoes4all
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: DS 20 Hydraulic pipes

Default DS 20 Hydraulic pipes

Hi Gents,

They say it get worse before it gets better This remains to be seen in this case ...

Advertisement

My 'apparently' brilliant panelbeater was busy welding the right hand chassis channel underneath my DS 20, directly below the driver seat and managed to melt a hard plastic pipe (see photos) . I note that green oil, obviously LHM is seeping from it. Am i correct in saying that the damaged pipe would be a return pipe back to the LHM tank in the engine bay?
    As per the photos the pipes run from the rear of the car (RHD car) and travels about 35cm, from where it melted, before it enters the engine bay just behind the right front wheel.

I tried to trace the end destination of the pipe in the engine bay , but it would be easier to find a diamond ring in the Atlantic ocean.

Is there anyway for me to join this pipe? or would i have leakage due to pressure - I assume there may be some pressure. If it is possible to join, i would appreciate the method I should use.

Thanking you guys in advance ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SteveS; 7th November 2019 at 05:37 AM. Reason: error in text

Hi Steve,
    these lines are made of nylon and are also used as vacuum lines on older Mercedes, which has worked for me. For repair, see below the link to Jint Nijman's website: Choose Citroen DS, then hydraulic system, then repair practise (under 2:plastic pipes): on the following link:
    Citro√ęn DS/ID and XM Web-Site
    Technology has moved on since the days of rilsan, so a modern day equivalent glue should not be too hard to find. These return lines are not high pressure.
    As to their destination: they all end up in the LHM reservoir, so see if you can locate a missing connection if you start from there and work towards the leak.
    Good luck, Erik.
    Last edited by tomatoes4all; 7th November 2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: clarify link to right page on web site
    SteveS likes this.

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the input mate. I will follow that link. Just a damn awkward spot to execute a repair

regards,

Steve

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

It will probably be easier in the long run if you replace a section of that tubing. It is basically 8mm O.D. Nylon 6/6 tubing as I recall and you can get it from many industrial suppliers (in the states we have McMaster-Carr). Remove the suspension cover behind the front wheel and you will see that the tube goes into a 2:1 connector affectionately knows as a "tobacco pipe" connnector because of its odd shape. You can disconnect it from the tobacco pipe connector by loosening the ligarex clamp then pull the tube back through into the right hand chassis channel. To do that you have to remove a couple of 8mm a/f cap screws and pull back the bracket holding the tube (and the fuel line). This will give you access to make a repair. I typically use a piece of 8mm fuel line and some fuel injection (or ligarex) clamps for this sort of repair.
    SteveS likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

<p>
    Hi John, Many thanks for you explanation and it all makes sense. I did as per your instructions; removed the suspension cover behind the drivers side wheel and noted the tobacco pipe connecter, which I assume is the rubber as can be seen in the attached photo. As per my previous post, 2 pipes enter the hole toward the engine bay and I now see 3 exit behind the now removed suspension cover. Two pipes lead out of the tobacco connector towards the engine - one of them is a nylon pipe of about 3 to 4 mm OD and connect to the right front sphere. The other one is a 8mm metal pipe , which confuses me as both pipes entering that hole, in my first photo, are 8mm nylon pipes. So I assume the one nylon pipe becomes a metal pipe inside the tobacco connector. The third pipe that exits behind the suspension cover seems to be a fuel pipe, as it leads to the fuel pump (if i traced it accurately that is) . The difficulty i foresee if i cut the damaged pipe, which is damages right into the entrance of the hole, and attempt to pull it through towards the front wheel, it does not allow me to do so as the now metal pipe restricts me to extend it that far. I have loosened the clamp that attaches the metal pipe against the fire wall, but still no go</p>
    <p>
    Another question - how does one remove the pipe entering the rear of the tobacco connector? is it just pushed into the connector? surely not? The added problem is that i have no side view of the two pipes once they enter that hole as it is obscured by a plate welded to the chassis leg below the drivers seat. I may have to cut an inspection hole, as it seems the 2 pipes may well share a joint clamp holding them snug against the chassis leg. I say this because when i wiggle the clamp as can be seen in the photo bothe pipes running along the chassis legs wiggle along I hope all of this make sense haha 20191107_202547.jpg</p>

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Going from memory, you have to remove one or two M5 bolts that hold the bracket inside the chassis channel under the driver's door to loosen the support bracket. You can then shift the whole thing forward enough to see the ligarex holding the tube to the other end of the tobacco pipe connector. Once that is disconnected, you can pull the whole thing back under the drivers door to make the repair (except I think the fuel line gets a bit in the way so may have to me separated from the holder bracket...
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Thread Information