C5 X7 front brakes by generic mechanic
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: C5 X7 front brakes by generic mechanic

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default C5 X7 front brakes by generic mechanic

By "Generic" I simply mean "not a Citroen" mechanic.

I've booked a mobile mechanic to do the pads on the front of the C5 X7 as any brake shop is too far to get to and I've been told I've got less than a 0.002 on the pads.

Advertisement

Is there anything I need to make him aware of with regards to hydraulics or electric handbrake before he starts working on it? Also should the car be on high or low before he starts?

Tar.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

DS23 IE Pallas Automatique
    C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

Perfectly conventional Euro calipers and pads. A fairly quick job.

Make sure he uses stands and doesn't get under it if he's unused to hydraulic suspension. The handbrake won't "blow up" if the rear calipers stay connected. You have to watch this doing the rears.

If there isn't a decent spreader don't put a jack under the front cross member. The side jacking points are adequate.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post

I've been told I've got less than a 0.002 on the pads.

So a poofteenth...

Is there anything I need to make him aware of with regards to hydraulics or electric handbrake before he starts working on it? Also should the car be on high or low before he starts?

Tar.
    With any earlier hydraulic car, always put on high before jacking. I would have thought a C5 was the same. Re handbrake - it's a hydraulic Citroen - doesn't the handbrake operate the the front brakes (seasink seems to imply handbrake operates rear brakes).

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    So a poofteenth...

With any earlier hydraulic car, always put on high before jacking. I would have thought a C5 was the same. Re handbrake - it's a hydraulic Citroen - doesn't the handbrake operate the the front brakes (seasink seems to imply handbrake operates rear brakes).

Cheers

Alec
    Pretty sure c5 is rear handbrake

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Perfectly conventional Euro calipers and pads. A fairly quick job.

Make sure he uses stands and doesn't get under it if he's unused to hydraulic suspension. The handbrake won't "blow up" if the rear calipers stay connected. You have to watch this doing the rears.

If there isn't a decent spreader don't put a jack under the front cross member. The side jacking points are adequate.
    Thanks, couple more then: - Do you think handbrake should on or off? I'm sh!t scared of the bloody thing!
    - Also, car on high, low, or normal?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger

Just jack it, let the wheels hang. Isn't there a thread on it here somewhere? By UFO?
    There's a brace across under the front, which isn't a crossmember and shouldn't be use to jack it.
    Release the LDS reservoir cap to allow it to vent before and then tighten it after the job is done or you may bloat and crack the reservoir.
    Handbrake is at the rear. The caveat there with the electric handbrake is not to let it operate with pads removed or it may overrun and eat itself. Again, covered before.

Front Brakes are the same as a VW Passat so no dramas. I helped UFO with a few tips when he did his. I would just put it on high then lift it at the front onto stands then you don't have to worry about the hydraulics.

Here is the relevant post.

C5 x7 front brake pad renewal.

Cheers Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 5th November 2019 at 11:57 AM.

Mate for what it's worth...I had all the pads and rotors on my C5 (x7) changed a while back by a local mechanic - no issues whatsoever. Sometimes I wonder if we see our cars as so special that we end up putting off "regular" mechanics? After all, an electric park brake is not unusual anymore, not that you're doing them yet.

Thanks Guys.

Will put on high, raise the front then put on stands and follow the instructions in the post. Will report on the day.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Fellow Frogger

I'm probably just lazy, but I try to let the car do as much work as possible when lifting it. You may find that raising to high, fitting stand under the front and then setting to low is enough to raise the front wheels off the ground just enough. You can certainly do this one wheel at a time as though you were changing a flat tyre. Do be careful that the handbrake being applied at the back doesn't push it off the stands as it lowers. It doesn't have swing arms at the back, so rear wheel travel won't be the issue as it can be with, say, a DS ...

Quote Originally Posted by David S View Post
    I'm probably just lazy, but I try to let the car do as much work as possible when lifting it. You may find that raising to high, fitting stand under the front and then setting to low is enough to raise the front wheels off the ground just enough. You can certainly do this one wheel at a time as though you were changing a flat tyre. Do be careful that the handbrake being applied at the back doesn't push it off the stands as it lowers. It doesn't have swing arms at the back, so rear wheel travel won't be the issue as it can be with, say, a DS ...
    Thanks David, I'm getting a mobile guy to do it and certainly hope he is not lazy as I want my money's worth.

I think we'll go with the following process if everyone thinks it's a good idea.

Put car on high, handbrake on, raise one side at a time using mechanics trolley jack, remove wheel, do the pads, lowers cars via jack.
    And repeat other side.

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Well todays attempt to change brake pads didn't work out too well.

After removing the wheel, the mobile mechanic measured the rotors to find they were 21.7mm, and reckons he legally can't fit new pads on that. Result: quote for pads and rotors fitted $950. After discussing all the different possibilities etc...it looks like he will do it for $650.
    Citroen quote for similar: $1037. So I'm ahead but can better be found?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

So it's not only old XMs that have this issue!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    So it's not only old XMs that have this issue!
    The situation re brake disc wear and replacement is nothing new or unusual.
    Brake wearing surfaces have always been subject to minimum thickness/diameter specifications.
    It is not a Citroen only situation....
    The mobile mechanic dude is no doubt correct in his practice and advice. In this day of litigation and regulation no upfront business would do otherwise. He is not only covering his own arse but yours as well. Imagine the facebook type outcry if they did undertake dubious practice and it ended in tears.
    You are not being ripped off. He is telling it as he sees it and as such he must comply.
    Tyre dealers are in a similar bind with customers wanting the lowest cost repairs....when common sense says replace. Items have lifetimes. Tyres ( complete with mandatory treadwear indicator bars ) and brake components work by wearing out !

1000+ Posts

Get onto one of the usual suppliers like EAI for a quote for the discs. They aren't that dear.

Changing discs and pads together is quite common. Now you'll have to add the labour for removing the calipers.
    Armidillo likes this.

Get onto one of the usual suppliers like EAI for a quote for the discs. They aren't that dear.

Changing discs and pads together is quite common. Now you'll have to add the labour for removing the calipers.
    The quote of $650 is for 2 new front disks and pads fitted. Do you mean I have to expect further charges?

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

We have all heard this from ignorant shops. PSA diesels are shared by Ford and Volvo and plenty of them have their belts changed. Make sure he understands the need to peg the engine before he loosens the pulley. It isn't rocket science.

EDIT: Wrong thread!!!
    Last edited by seasink; 6th November 2019 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    The situation re brake disc wear and replacement is nothing new or unusual.
    Brake wearing surfaces have always been subject to minimum thickness/diameter specifications.
    It is not a Citroen only situation....
    M.Fritzelhund is 77000 klm of careful use mostly mwy Brisbane-Sunshine coast likely to write off disks in a 6 year old car ? I seem to remember brakes to last a bit longer....

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

1000+ Posts

We have all heard this from ignorant shops. PSA diesels are shared by Ford and Volvo and plenty of them have their belts changed. Make sure he understands the need to peg the engine before he loosens the pulley. It isn't rocket science.
    Did you mean to put this in tomfrog's thread?

1000+ Posts

M.Fritzelhund is 77000 klm of careful use mostly mwy Brisbane-Sunshine coast likely to write off disks in a 6 year old car ? I seem to remember brakes to last a bit longer....
    True, but they're not allowed to use asbestos any more. Disks are designed to wear - perhaps this makes the pads last longer .
    Last edited by Armidillo; 6th November 2019 at 06:36 PM.

[QUOTE=seasink;16352 Make sure he understands the need to peg the engine before he loosens the pulley. It isn't rocket science.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, uh, ahem, I'm not loosening pulleys in the front brakes. No way I'm not . Your pulleying my leg!

C5 X7 163 Exclusive
    C3 II 2010

Might be worth a good check of the rear pads too....the C5X7's wear front & rear almost equally

Fellow Frogger!

Rotors on modern cars are designed in many cases to be replaced with each pad change. You have had a good run

1000+ Posts

Sorry, I should have posted in Tomfrog's belt thread.

Fellow Frogger

Sorry, I should have posted in Tomfrog's belt thread.
    Copied it to the correct thread for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information