Xantia ML5T gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Default Xantia ML5T gearbox

I've put a new clutch on my CT turbo 97 model and all seems pretty right except I can't locate 1st on the shift.
    Every other gear fine 2 3 4 5 R. Can't figure out why I can't find first.

Clutch slave went back in properly and had pressure on fitting.

Cables were correctly fitted back in.

Anyone got an idea what could be cause?

Cheers
    Steven

Advertisement

Have you run the engine yet ?

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

yes running, driven.

1000+ Posts

Avoid hill starts - not too hard where you live!

Should be opposite second. Is there something under the bonnet stopping the gear change lever on the gearbox from moving into the first position opposite second? What the gear change on the gearbox while you get someone inside the car to try selecting different gears.

Cheers, Ken

Yes that occurred to me Ken, plastic debris from wiring casing has jammed up gear changes before, but all clean now, couldn't find anyone around today to play with! Hopefully it will that simple, there is a bunch or wires around the back of the thermostat that could be tied back.

Fellow Frogger!

That is a strange problem. I have an ml5t from a Xantia ct in the shed. I’ll have a look to see if I can come up with any ideas on why that would happen..
    You haven’t changed anything in the shifter or the linkages? Just thinking about it, the very late ml5 boxes had reverese up next to first and had a cable lockout on that, but they were much later than those used in the CT... yours would have had reverse next to 4th as most of them did. If you couldn’t find first or second would make more sense.

the pivot arm on top of the box has two positions in neutral, it clicks one way or the other, and I wonder if I may have put the cables back in with it in the wrong position, but that wouldn't explain 1st not engaging. I kinda wonder now if I took the cables off when I left it in fifth which I did so I could loosen up the hub nuts when removing driveshafts. Aside from this issue the car feels much better with new clutch in. I dunno...

You are already using the 1 - 2 selector rod in the gearbox to select second. Going into first is just a straight motion going through neutral. That is why I am thinking something is blocking the cable / linkage system about neutral to stop it going into first.

Cheers, Ken

I think and hope you're right Ken! Too bloody hot to play with cars right now! groan

too damn hot period.

on a cheerier note the new clutch feels alot smoother and tighter and car runs nicer overall, 290K is pretty good life for a clutch I guess.

and if anyone is ever putting new boots on their xantia driveshafts remember to tape up the bearings before you try and knock the triax off! you've been warned!
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 13th October 2019 at 11:52 PM.

Thread Information