C5 2.0 HDI won't start uodated
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By AntonD

Thread: C5 2.0 HDI won't start uodated

Tadpole

Default C5 2.0 HDI won't start uodated

After 2 weeks of unsuccessfully trying to get my C5 started I had it towed to Paul Andrews and it ended up being air in the fuel line.
    I had disconnected the fuel-in line and apparently the system then has to be bled. Thats what the rubber bubble is for I presume, but Paul reckons they don't really work. The thing is that with my Peugeot 406 hdi you can disconnect the fuel lines and when re-connected it starts no problem. In tank fuel pump on the 406 says Paul. thats why.
    There was also an issue with a leaking vacuum hose to the manifold which he fixed. Car now runs beautifully.

Advertisement
    Ken W and UFO like this.

Anton,

That is a good outcome, I was thinking much worse thoughts that I didn't want to type. Yes you have to bleed the system well when changing the fuel filter through the top bleed point on the housing or else it won't run properly for quite a while.

Cheers, Ken

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Anton,

That is a good outcome, I was thinking much worse thoughts that I didn't want to type. Yes you have to bleed the system well when changing the fuel filter through the top bleed point on the housing or else it won't run properly for quite a while.

Cheers, Ken
    Oh, is there a top bleed point?

I've usually just pumped the bulb up, then turned the ignition on until the pump stops operating, hit the starter and after a couple of goes it sorts itself out. Maybe I've been lucky but will know for next time.

Good news re getting the car restarted.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks guys,
    I took the car up to Sydney today and its driving really well, silky smooth on the freeway. There is something with the front suspension though that could be normal but doesn't seem right. The ride is generally very comfortable but the front can jarr sometimes going over sharp bumps. Paul said that the spheres were good and he replaced the fluid throughout the system.
    Any ideas?
    I am not used to these cars so can only compare to my Peugeot or Volvo.
    So re the bleeding of the system, you open the bleed valve on top of the filter housing then pump the rubber bulb until fuel comes out. Is that right?

1000+ Posts

The RHH motor has an obvious bleed screw on top and lets the HP pump suck up the fuel. The RHR needs work with the bulb.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by AntonD View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I took the car up to Sydney today and its driving really well, silky smooth on the freeway. There is something with the front suspension though that could be normal but doesn't seem right. The ride is generally very comfortable but the front can jarr sometimes going over sharp bumps. Paul said that the spheres were good and he replaced the fluid throughout the system.
    Any ideas?
    ?
    I'd be checking the wishbone bushes.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

What year model or km does your car have? I have heard of exactly the same in another car, was told it could be the control arms, which may be the same thing as the wishbone bushes above?

Tadpole

Year model 2008 but the last of the generation 2 models, not an X7.
    Driving to work this morning on the M1 down to Albion Park and the whole car shuddered a bit over bumps. Not excessive but it was noticeable. However it seemed to smooth out a bit over time.
    How much does the computer control. Does it control damping rates and things like that?
    When I get a change I will have a good look at the Control Arm bushes and lower ball joint/tie rod ends.
    The front tyres are different and I have an idea the previous owner may have put reasonable 2nd hand ones on there just to sell it. I will check the date on the tyres, because that could have something to do with it.

Tadpole

Just checked the tyres. RH (which is the worst side)is a 12 year michelin! LH side cheapo chinese brand. Maybe thats the problem, or at least part of it.

1000+ Posts

Horrors! Out of round tyres entirely possible!!

Thread Information