Caveat Emptor - Parts Quality Classification
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger! Inspector Clouseau's Avatar

Default Caveat Emptor - Parts Quality Classification

Hi All, thought I'd share my experience and lesson learned so others are forewarned. Bought some parts again from Der Franzose and they arrived fairly promptly. A couple of the parts were classified as "Quality 4" which is defined as "reproduction, not as good as original, but good quality". As you may be aware, they classify their parts from Quality 1 to 5, with Q1 being the best. I'd hate to think what Q5 would be like as Q4 equates to very poor quality, or rubbish, in my book. Quality 1 to 3 will be my range if there's another order, and fingers crossed the classifications are accurate. Of course I contacted them about the lack of quality weeks ago but never got a response. I'll put it down to experience, and the parts in the bin, and hope others avoid a similar experience.
    Cheers
    Inspector Clouseau

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the heads-up. Most importantly though: what were the parts that failed to pass muster? I'm sure quality varies from repro to repro and it's good for everyone to know what to avoid!
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Yes it is disappointing that Franzose agree to sell sub standard quality parts for some products.
    I bought new set rear of exhaust mounts and the rubber lasted about 1,000kms. This sought of quality doesnít do their brand any favours I would have thought.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

JBN

What vehicle?

John

The car is the DS. The parts were the headlight enclosures. The moulds were rough and were "cleaned up" by someone with a blade and poor eyesight and/or lack of effort. The access door/flap on one in particular didn't even come close to closing. I wasn't expecting stunning quality, but was naive enough to expect merchantable quality aimilar to the standard required in Australia.

Sent from my E5823 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

I Just took mine out, stripped them and painted them and they look great - original quality with a good look. I know the originals were not painted but it is a sensible compromise

That's plan B. I was hoping to have a set ready to go when the guards come off. I've heard the originals can be hard to get the paint to stick to. How did you go with them?

Sent from my E5823 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

There is a spray pack at the auto shops for priming plastics I used it on my light buckets used standard primer after using the spay pack had no issues with adhesion

Thread Information