XM parking brake cable becoming unhooked
  • Register
  • Help

Default XM parking brake cable becoming unhooked

Sequelae of the recent troubles include the parking brake giving up the struggle. During the course of removing the steering rack I unclipped the driver's side cable from the caliper. I put it back, followed the steps required to get the adjustment mechanism to function and everything worked fine - for a few applications after which the pedal went straight to the floor.

Going underneath I found that the other cable (left-hand side) had become unhooked from the central equalizer so I put it back, repeated the trick and everything worked fine - for just a few applications before braking disappeared again. I haven't been back under but presume the same thing has happened again.

I know that there is another adjustment of nuts on the callipers but I don't see why it would be necessary to touch these given I haven't changed any part of the system and I'm not sure what I would need to do to stop the cable coming unhooked again.

Any advice?

Advertisement

Andrew

Fellow Frogger

I'd say you need to slacken off the adjuster nuts at each caliper, dive in under again, hook it back together in the central position and readjust at the calipers. If one of the cable outers is rusted, then you will never get it to work properly until you replace that cable.

There is a plastic guide with a slot for each cable and it can come loose or break up. Look at the parts diagram as it's a bit fiddly to get seated when lying on your back under the car and looking up. You get better access by removing a couple of bolts and sliding the heat shield back and out of the way, but I'd hope you've discovered that.

There's often a tendency to make the cables too tight, but the factory manual advises having no takeup for 4 clicks on the pedal. Do you have suitable instructions?

Thanks for the advice David. I have the workshop manual diagram and am using the Haynes manual as well as foraging on the Internet. Haynes is rather unclear to me regarding the goal of the cable adjustment: it talks about the equalizer but refers to a photo of the calliper. Is the point of the adjustment making the triangular equalizing holder of the two cables symmetric, so that one cable isn't further forward of the other? If so, I'd understand that.

You mentioned plastic guides. Is the section I've circled in the photo (of a LHD car) one of these? If so, I don't think I have them any more.

Thanks again,

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ajm212 View Post
    Is the point of the adjustment making the triangular equalizing holder of the two cables symmetric, so that one cable isn't further forward of the other? If so, I'd understand that.
    It's a fair while since I last adjusted an XM parking brake. But from memory, yes, that is correct. My memory is that having the triangle asymmetric can cause a cable end to slip out of its holder.

Roger

Thread Information