Quietiest tyres for a C5 X7
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Quietiest tyres for a C5 X7

Fellow Frogger!

Default Quietiest tyres for a C5 X7

Need to replace some worn , noisy Pirellis on my 2008 C5 X7.
    Any suggestions re the best choice to minimise road noise ?

Advertisement
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

I tried Pirellis and Michelin’s (Sport Pilots I think they were?) on mine and neither seem to quieten the unacceptable amount of road noise produced by that vehicle. Not helpful, I know, but from what I understand the X7 is renowned for road noise. I sold mine and bought something much quieter; a Landrover Discovery ��

Tadpole

I Have Michelin XM2's on my Peugeot 406 and really like them. Nice ride, long wearing and quiet. I'll be putting them on my C5 as the current ones wear out.

My consideration for tyres is always, what are the best tyres for wet roads?

But as good as many https://itstillruns.com/do-reduce-ro...e-7618540.html

Default Road noise X7

Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    I switched to Nexen Nfera SU5's and they are great; smooth, quiet (within reason on our roads) and don't let up in the wet.

1000+ Posts

When my C5's original Michelins wore on the front, the Michelin replacement was a bit pricey, so I opted for Dunlop SP sport FM800, still expensive but a lot less. They have turned out to be excellent and quiet.

This mob like them: Dunlop SP Sport FM800 - Tyre Reviews
    con likes this.

1000+ Posts

Tyre size?

Very happy with my Kumho Ecsta HS51s on my C5 Comfort's 17in alloys after about 4000km. Great grip wet or dry and quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Tyre size?
    I wonder if you are able to bring your tyre expertise to comment:

The general view is that lower profile tyres emit more road roar than taller ones of the same type.
    It seems to make some sense to me but not sure. Maybe you can enlighten us a little.

Yes, its a broadbrush statement and there is more to it than just aspect ratio. But broadly is it correct?

Fellow Frogger!

And to add to CC1701's query, are most low profile tyres performance tyres and as such give reduced mileage? I assume softer compound is used for performance tyres? Is there a low profile tyre that will give much more than 30k that I get from PS4's (245 x 40 x 19)?
    Last edited by turnbull151; 27th September 2019 at 11:53 AM.

1000+ Posts

Yes there are non-performance low profile tyres. So, in 245/40-19 one could, if one wished, fit, say, Michelin's (non-performance) Primacy3 & get a considerable longevity boost over the PS4. Mind you, the P3 has had mixed test results as a wet tyre whereas the PS4 is good. Generally, the consensus would be that the P3 is, at best, mediocre in the wet. Personally, I'd always trade off longevity for wet grip but I'm not the driver in question. So, say longevity was prioritised. There are two ways of thinking about this: tyre life & cost per kilometre.

These don't necessarily align. For instance, the P3 lasts longer but costs more than the PS4 & my surmise would be that there would be little cost/km advantage for the P3 (if any). Why trade off wet grip & benign limit handling for a trifling cost savings?

Of course there are other longevity-prioritised tyres which are not as costly as the oddly dear P3. I assume that you do not want a Chinese Dreadful el cheapo which is lethal in the wet, no matter how much lower the cost/km is. So, is there anything halfway decent which would provide substantial savings over a PS4 (probably by a combination of cheaper price & greater durability)? Yes, but not much. Mind you, in my judgement, none is worth the effort because of Michelin's highly competitive pricing of the PS4. I'd stay with that.

The PS4 is listed at around $272.

The Falken FK 510 is about $20 cheaper & would perhaps last longer. It's tested well. Not much in it though on cost/km.

To get a more dramatic saving one has to trawl down a bit in price (trawl up too much in longevity & the poor wet grip trade off looms over-large again).

Not anything like as good as the PS4 (or FK510) is Bob Jane's "in house" Xenon Z7. It's made by Bridgestone in its Indonesian mega-factory & wouldn't count as rubbish. At $184, it's quite a lot cheaper & would also have greater longevity. The real question is whether the cost savings per set for, say, 30,000 kms is worth the performance & safety drop.

Say they lasted 40 kkm (I'm guessing but it's a plausible comparison assumption.) So, their cost for 30 kkm would be 3/4 of $184. The savings over the PS4 for a set of 4 for that distance would be $536 ($1088 for PS4 - 552 for 3/4 price Z7).

Around half the price for the same distance as the PS4 is a substantial saving.

Personally, I'd stick with the PS4; it's remarkably cheap for what it is. YMMV (literally in this case).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 27th September 2019 at 10:49 PM.

1000+ Posts

On tyre noise:

There are three main sources of this.

- One is the belting of tread elements against the road (Think early Land Rover "bar tread "tyres or Mud Terrain off-road ones.)
    - The second is the thumping of the whole tyre on road irregularities.
    - The third is compression and escape of air in the "voids" in the tread.

The first & third are ameliorated by slight irregularities in the spacing of tread elements so that rhythmic sequences of the noises do not obtain (more psychologically intrusive). All manufacturers practise this & tyre profile is not particularly relevant to these noise sources. The issue for them is tread design, not structure profile.

The second is connected to profile though. What is significant is how much the sidewall can distort. If it has high capacity for this, then less noisy thumping over a surface irregularity will occur than with a tyre that has a sidewall less able to distort & accommodate the bump (thus causing the suspension to receive more bump input).

Low profile tyres have, other things being equal, less sidewall height & thus less capacity to distort.

Mind you, other things aren't equal & tyres of the same size can range enormously in sidewall treatment. As a rough rule of thumb, the more sporting a tyre is designed to be, the stiffer it will be in the bead area of the sidewall & the further up the sidewall that stiffness will extend. Clearly, such a tyre will have less capacity to distort & accommodate a bump input than a floppier sidewalled rival & will be noisier over bumps. One consequence of this is that a lower profile "comfort" tyre might well be less "thump noisy" than a higher profile "sporting" tyre.

cheers! Peter

Tadpole

Michelin Primacy 4 is probably the quietest tyre. I had 18" Pilot Sport 4's on my 2015 C5 Exclusive Tourer but changed the wheel-tyre combination to 225/55 SR17" Primacy 4. The higher profile (55 compared with 45) rides better and the Primacy is quieter than the PS4. Road noise is still there on coarser surfaces, but tolerable. Otherwise very quiet, especially around town. I think the 18" wheels on the Exclusive were purely a marketing aesthetic, but I actually prefer the look of the 17" combination.

Of course, no modern car could beat the incomparably low road noise experienced in the Peugeot 404, but that had to do with the torque tube design among other factors.
    citroenut and CC1701 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, I have heard the Primacy 4 are quieter but I don't think they make them in our size. At $409 each for 245x45x19 (nearest size), they are very expensive!

4cv, would you consider Yokahama Bluearth AE50? With the current 4 for 3 deal, it would equate to about $206 a tyre. I think mileage would be similar to PS4s?

1000+ Posts

It would help if the original poster (or someone) could specify the size for the original question. (Some tests do rate quietness so one can go beyond the anecdotal.)

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turnbull151 View Post
    Yes, I have heard the Primacy 4 are quieter but I don't think they make them in our size. At $409 each for 245x45x19 (nearest size), they are very expensive!

4cv, would you consider Yokahama Bluearth AE50? With the current 4 for 3 deal, it would equate to about $206 a tyre. I think mileage would be similar to PS4s?
    I am wary of any of the BlueEarth range as they are optimised for fuel efficiency & that is a trait which fights wet grip - although compound chemists are getting better at minimising the trade-offs.

Generally speaking, this observation has been borne out by most tests of the AE50 but a respected German magazine in its 2019 test rates it rather well in the wet. I surmise that it has had a recompounding. Its lingering weakness is aquaplaning which is more a tread pattern trait. It is also seemingly quiet.

tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Yokohama/BluEarth-AE50.htm

2019 Auto Zeitung Summer Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews

So, from this test, worth a punt I think (I can't imagine the Xenon Z7 doing this well; note the scores of its well-regarded cousin, the T005 Bridgestone, as a reference. Another reference point in the test is the Primacy 4.)

As for wear, note its result in an earlier test. Mind you that test doesn't rate it well in the wet & if a wet-improving recompounding has recently occurred then longevity would be diminished.

2016 AutoBild Summer Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews

cheers! Peter

Fellow Frogger!

Thank you Peter. Yes, I think I will give them a try.

Fellow Frogger!

Apologies for the delay.
    Wheels in question are 18 inch
    Poor riding I realise but do they have to be noisy too ?

1000+ Posts

Apologies for the delay.
    Wheels in question are 18 inch
    Poor riding I realise but do they have to be noisy too ?
    um, ta but if one is to suggest tyres, then one has to know what's available & that is size dependent; so something like NNN/NN-18 is necessary. (It's on the sidewall.)

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 30th September 2019 at 09:28 PM.

On tyre noise:...
    Thanks for the detailed explanation Peter.
    Much appreciated.

1000+ Posts

um, ta but if one is to suggest tyres, then one has to know what's available & that is size dependent; so something like NNN/NN-18 is necessary. (It's on the sidewall.)

cheers! Peter
    In the absence of a response by the original poster, does anyone know what size is in question?

1000+ Posts

Possibly 245/45/R18 on 18x8 wheels.
    These were used on a C5 X7 Exclusive.

Fellow Frogger!

Apologies again for delayed reply.
    Yes that's the correct size.
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

1000+ Posts

Yep, ok.

1000+ Posts

OK, I tend to give zero priority to noise (ditto fuel economy, comfort & longevity) so this was a real voyage of discovery for me as I have never attended to this parameter before - interesting.

I assume that you are not after quietness at the expense of all other qualities & I chose to have good wet grip, laterally & under braking, as screening criteria in drawing up a medium list & then trimmed that focusing on noise.

I ended up with two tyres on a short list after a bit of a trawl around tests on Tyre Reviews. A link to the most interesting test is below.

2019 Auto Bild Sports Car Tyre Test - Tyre Reviews

The tyres are:

Michelin's PilotSport 4

Hankook's Ventus S1 Evo 2

Both are good in the wet & quiet. The PS4 is a bit better in the wet 4 the Evo2 is a bit quieter.

Personally, I'd get the PS4; YMMV.

cheers! Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information