Quietiest tyres for a C5 X7 - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Quietiest tyres for a C5 X7

I'm with you 100%, Peter, on adhesion being the most important aspect of tyres.
    After all, grip in all conditions = safety.

However, when comes time to replace the tyres on the C5, will be down grading the grip requirement and looking for a balance between grip and noise. The C5 isn't a sports car and probably best not to drive it like one. Its well balanced and does what its told, but its not agile;- fantastic land yacht.

My 10 cents worth, the PS4's (best tyre on the market) are very noisy on our chipped surface roads here.
    But to be clear, its not so much the tyres, its the car and tyres.
    Others have a similar experience with them.

Someone else may be able to comment on the Hankooks.

Advertisement

Does anyone have quiet tyres on (Australian) chipped surfaces on their C5 (X7)?

Fellow Frogger!

Peter,
    Appreciate your research
    What does YMMV mean ?
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

Fellow Frogger!

Different size, I know but have just switched from Conti Premium Contacts on my C5II, to to the Pirelli P7. All round very impressed so far, and yes they are quiet.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dayofthejackal View Post
    Peter,
    Appreciate your research
    What does YMMV mean ?
    It's a contraction of 'Your Mileage May Vary', that is, you might not share my priorities. Incidentally, don't be put off by both of them being sports tyres & thinking that they'll be harshly uncomfortable because of that & that the next class down (think Primacy 4 instead of PS4) would better suit. Use a tyre from that "Primacy" class which is in the test, Bridgestone's Turanza T005 as a reference point & both PS4 & Evo2 look ok.

On coarse "chip seal" roads: these are pretty much an Australian thing & no doubt the German test had a different surface. So, maybe the Evo2s ? - on the grounds that an unknown case seems better than a case with reported noise issues.

cheers! Peter

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leithant View Post
    Different size, I know but have just switched from Conti Premium Contacts on my C5II, to to the Pirelli P7. All round very impressed so far, and yes they are quiet.

What variety of PC were they? (The PC5 & the P7 are close in performance.)

And what sort of Pirellis did DOTJ have that were noisy when worn, I wonder?

Quite a few tests slate the P7 for noise so I didn't shortlist it (though it was on my medium list).

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 9th October 2019 at 09:54 PM.

1000+ Posts

2 coat pavement sealing is common in the USA as well here. Wikipedia says that the technique originally came from New Zealand.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    What variety of PC were they? (The PC5 & the P7 are close in performance.)

And what sort of Pirellis did DOTJ have that were noisy when worn, I wonder?

Quite a few tests slate the P7 for noise so I didn't shortlist it (though it was on my medium list).

cheers! Peter
    PC2 as that was all you can get in my size, so an old model.

The P7's seemed to get different ratings for both noise and aquaplaning in different tests which is odd.

Mine are certainly not noisy though.

06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

All this about quiet tyres

TURN UP YOUR STEREO

Most cars have at least 35 speakers these days and more power than the engine
    Last edited by driven; 10th October 2019 at 07:08 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leithant View Post
    PC2 as that was all you can get in my size, so an old model.

The P7's seemed to get different ratings for both noise and aquaplaning in different tests which is odd.

Mine are certainly not noisy though.

Curious. The PC2 is indeed an old type (replaced by PC5 & then PC6 except for small volume sizes) but has, of course, been upgraded (notably in compound).

I love the PC2 as it's my only chance (in OZ) to get a very very good tyre indeed in the small sizes my toys demand. I have it as fronts on my 4CVG & R8 & all round on my Djet (repeated fittings in each case, each first 165/65-14 &, upon that size's demise, now 165/70). I've used it for around a decade.

I find it responsive, grippy in wet & dry, both laterally & longitudinally & with very good limit behaviour (wide band of clearly signalled & easily remediated behaviour) under braking or cornering in the wet.

I hope they never stop making them & selling them here. I'd happily fit them to all corners of every vehicle in the fleet were sizes to be available (& the PC5 not to be available).

But: I've not noticed them to be particularly noisy (perhaps because of overriding noises in my toys).

The only contemporary test that mentions noise rates it as quiet.

Mind you, much depends on the vehicle used, the surface & so forth. Tyre Reviews is excellent but they can't include full details of tests' protocols & circumstances in their summaries. That no doubt explains the P7 variation. The variety of test protocols is actually a good thing which should give one confidence that a tyre which does well in various test circumstances is pretty ok.

I wonder if the P7 was what DOTJ had.

cheers! Peter

I

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information