suspension issue on newly purchased C5
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default suspension issue on newly purchased C5

Hi everyone,
    I took the advice of a few and purchased a 2008 C5 2.0hdi 6 speed auto. Relatively high k's but in beautiful condition and drives very well. Auto changes nicely, and engine pulls very well.
    There are 2 issues, one of which I knew when I bought it, the other I missed.
    It blows a bit of smoke on hard acceleration, but there is no DPF light on or anything.
    The other thing is that there is a 'suspension faulty" warning coming for a few seconds on start up. That is what I missed when I test drove it. However, the car raises and lowers properly and the suspension seems to work perfectly, not that I have a lot of experience with these. There are no noticeable leaks.
    Any ideas?
    I thought to check the LDS level, so lowered the car to lowest level and started to open the filler cap but it was pressurised so I stopped. Is it ok to remove the cap and release the pressure? What is the procedure for checking and filling tank?
    The car had service history but no records of timing belt change, though the owner said it was done a year ago, but he was not technically savvy so can't really trust that. What is normal timing belt change km's? I know the Peugeot 406 hdi I have is 120k.
    Thanks for any info.

Advertisement

UFO

There was an update to a vented LDS cap so there shouldn't be pressure, but yes it is ok to remove the cap. The tank is not part of the pressure system.

Did the prior owner tell you where the car was serviced or can you easily determine from the service records? If it was Paul at North 'Gong it would have been in safe hands.

Send me a PM and we could probably meet one afternoon. Although I live in Gerri I work at West Wollongong TAFE.

Welcome to the C5 club.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks UFO,
    The previous owner was in Singleton, and the services were done up there. Handy to know there is a good mechanic in N Gong thought I try and do everything myself if at all possible.
    I live in Corrimal and work in Albion Park, at the Aircraft Museum, and yes I would like to meet up some time.
    I have Fridays off so that day would suit me best. My mobile is 0414 108 894
    Do you happen to have a white DS? I remember talking to someone at the airshow a few years ago and he had a white DS that I was admiring, and he was from Gerringong.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by AntonD View Post
    Thanks UFO,
    The previous owner was in Singleton, and the services were done up there. Handy to know there is a good mechanic in N Gong thought I try and do everything myself if at all possible.
    I live in Corrimal and work in Albion Park, at the Aircraft Museum, and yes I would like to meet up some time.
    I have Fridays off so that day would suit me best. My mobile is 0414 108 894
    Do you happen to have a white DS? I remember talking to someone at the airshow a few years ago and he had a white DS that I was admiring, and he was from Gerringong.
    Anton, that was me. I sold the D (known as UFO as they were the plates on it when I bought it) last August and it now lives in Brisbane.

I still have the UFO plates on my all black C5 - keep your eyes open.

I reckon a Friday meet up sometime in the next few weeks could be possible.

Paul Andrews in Ralph Black Dr Nth Gong is the guy to see. 4226 4170.

Alternately Continental Cars in Punchbowl. 9759 1977 - talk to Greg.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Hi,
    Re LDS reservoir pressurisation, if the car is not equipped with the later cap you should as a precaution undo the cap as it is not unknown for the tank to burst and then of course the resultant mess is a nightmare not to mention obtaining a replacement tank.

This precaution is also worth remembering if you take the car for tyre replacement or other work requiring a hoist as the suspension will need to be raised to maximum to prevent the car just sitting at minimum when lowered.

I don't know what the later cap costs but the original cap can easily be modified to incorporate a simple relief valve.

Hi Anton,

If you want to fin out what the faults the ECUs are reporting, you will need to find someone close with a Diagbox setup. That will work on your Peugeot as well. That will allow the exact nature of the fault to be ascertained.

You probably have an RHR engine. Is there an RHR in your VIN number? That is a DW10BTED4 engine in PSA talk. The belt change interval on these engines was 180kkm or 9 years for Peugeot and less for Citroen for some reason. It would be good to find out from the servicing records exactly what date and at what kilometers and what make of belt was used in its replacement.

Cheers, Ken

Tadpole

Thanks for the info all,
    i will undo the cap tomorrow for depressurisation, and look for a newer type. Could the 'supension fault' be coming up because of the pressurisation?
    Re the timing belt, the previous owner couldn't give me concrete details of when the belt was changed but there are no records of it being done. i have already ordered a belt + serpentine belt as a precaution. The next thing will be transmission oil change, preferrably a flush if that is not too difficult.
    Yes engine is RHR .
    Thanks again
    Anton

1000+ Posts

Engine oil-- very very important - C2 grade low SAPS oil. You do not want to foul the DPF and engine with ash crud.

Transmission-- the Aisin auto gearbox only drains partially. The technique can be found here in the forum.

Another warning-- ruined auto handbrakes are exceedingly expensive. Make sure it is fully disabled before you do the rear brakes. If it starts up without the caliper load it self-destructs.

Tadpole

I already did an engine oil change and used Penrite C3, which is what they specified. Is the C2 oil better? The C3 is 5w-30 and the C2 is 0w-30. From the look of the service record the last oil change also used C3.
    Re the handbrake issue, I have the series 1, 2nd generation C5, so still uses manual handbrake.

1000+ Posts

Sorry. 2008 was when the X7 model began, hence the mistake. Yours and early X7s both used the RHR engine. Citroen uses the confusing C1,2,3,4,5,6 designation to describe vehicle size. It also explains talk about hydraulic pumps. UFO's cars are X7s.

The ash is important over the long term, as it does damage, and the maker specifies Total Quartz Ineo ECS which is a C2 grade. It isn't easy to find in NSW outside a dealership, but can be bought sensibly priced in boxes of 3 bottles from interstate distributors. Castrol Professional has a product, but it only comes in bulk quantities. There are some others. I'd get the right stuff at the next change.

Tadpole

Thanks Seasink.
    Penrite have a C2 0w-30. Would that be ok?
    https://www.penriteoil.com.au/produc...0w-30-full-syn

No not on a rhr

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Fellow Frogger

Use 5W30 or 5W40 full synthetic, low ash to extend the life of the particle filter.

Fellow Frogger!

Re the smoke, I had a problem with an earlier C5 which blew smoke on acceleration, it turned out to be a small crack in the rubber inlet pipe which had a small crack in it which let a small amount of air to escape & upset the air/fuel ratio. Solved it perfectly, so check yours for air leaks.

Regards

agd123

Tadpole

Thanks agd123, I'll check that.

Thread Information