2CV Cold Starting
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2CV Cold Starting

I have used my 2CV a few times for the daily commute and the only problem with this, of any magnitude, is that is a little bit cranky starting from cold on these chilly 5 degree Melbourne mornings. My other car is "normal" and I have become used to just pushing a button and it instantly settles in to a perfect idle.
    With the 2CV it takes a few goes to get it to fire, adjusting choke and pumping the throttle. It has been recently serviced and otherwise runs well.
    So, is this normal for a 2CV? What is your procedure for the cold start?
    It has a new coil, one of the basic, fluid-filled types. Would a resin-cored coil improve things, cold-starting or in general? I see Burtons sell an upgraded solid-core type at about twice the price. Does anyone have any experience with these ie. is it worth the money?
    Thanks,
    Rod

Advertisement

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Is the choke flap actually closing :confusing: My GS was a dog of a thing to drive when cold too!
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Hi Rod
    Fortunately Melbourne doesnt get many 5 degree mornings.
    From memory the 2cv cold starting procedure is to pull the choke all the way out and hold the accelerator on the floor and turn the starter. If everything is right they should start promptly.

Personally, I think any type of coil in good condition would do the job.

But, saying this, older pre-electronic ignition cars were notorious for cold starting problems.
    To fix it is a matter of checking everything is right; the valves clearances, ignition timing, spark plugs, plug leads and fuel supply.
    If you have someone good who serviced it, it may be worth the car back to them

Ian S

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Rod, My 2CV owners handbook says full choke ,no throttle it works well for me. I have a Subaru Sherpa coil from the wreckers, its a very robust coil. PS ,hot start, no choke full welly.
    Woody

JBN

I have started my 2CV in very cold conditions (-8 degrees overnight) in the bush. Full choke, no throttle till it starts then some throttle for a fast idle and warm up. I use a Harley coil and 123 electronic ignition. In those conditions, the choke is reduced in concert with the engines desire to keep running.

John

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Hi Rod
    Fortunately Melbourne doesnt get many 5 degree mornings.
    From memory the 2cv cold starting procedure is to pull the choke all the way out and hold the accelerator on the floor and turn the starter. If everything is right they should start promptly.

Personally, I think any type of coil in good condition would do the job.

But, saying this, older pre-electronic ignition cars were notorious for cold starting problems.
    To fix it is a matter of checking everything is right; the valves clearances, ignition timing, spark plugs, plug leads and fuel supply.
    If you have someone good who serviced it, it may be worth the car back to them

Ian S
    Foot flat to the floor is probably your problem. I'm pretty sure that automatically cracks the choke flaps back open, and it will also lean out the mixture. I'd pull the choke full out, give it a few pumps of the loud pedal (only when very cold as desribed, you don't want to flood it). Then crank it. i'd only touch the throttle if needed to keep it alive
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Had the pleasure of driving the 2CV to work again today and made a big effort to NOT touch the loud pedal until the engine had fired. Almost full choke. Worked well, but it wasn't as cold as yesterday. Shows how much you forget-the last car I had with a manual choke was a '66 XP Falcon. Or maybe the 86 BX 19GT, it's hard to remember. The Falcon was my first car, known among my friends as The Heap.
    Last edited by rodh; 16th August 2019 at 01:53 PM.

1000+ Posts

My GS, similar setup to a 2CV?, fires first go if you prime it with 7x flat-to-the-floor accelerator strokes and choke out about halfway. If it hasn’t been driven for a few days make that 10x.

1000+ Posts

My GS, similar setup to a 2CV?, fires first go if you prime it with 7x flat-to-the-floor accelerator strokes and choke out about halfway. If it hasnít been driven for a few days make that 10x.

Thread Information