Dee Spotlights
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund

Thread: Dee Spotlights

Fellow Frogger!

Default Dee Spotlights

I,ve just got a nice pair of SEV spotlights to fit to my Second Nose Dee. They are attached with 3 bolts. Please has anyone got a drilling pattern to help me get them in the right place.
    Woody

Advertisement

Make your own template from the lights.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Make your own template from the lights.

Roger
    Wasn't Dee Spotlights a Yorkshire night club singer in the late 60s ???? I recall her doing glamour poses on the bonnet of a Ford Anglia.
    bluey504 likes this.

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Let's expand a bit on what Roger helpfully suggested.

Using the base, press the three bolts into some stiff paper, like construction paper or some thin cardboard. Where the bolts left an impression, carefully cut those areas out with a sharp hobby knife. Now, slip that paper over your base. Trace around the base and then cut with some scissors around that trace. You can alternatively cut around the base with that same hobby knife. Now, locate the hole where the wiring passes through, and cut that out. Voila! one pattern. Since the lamps are left and right, make a corresponding pattern for the other side. Mark them so you don't confuse them.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

That is the easy bit, but how do I get the right place on the guard.
    Woody

You need to get someone with these lights to measure the distanc from both the bonnet closing line edge of the guard and from the forward edge of the guard. If I remember correctly these lights are housed in a teardrop shaped binnacle/shell? It would also help to have the measurement from the bonnet closing edge to the rear point of the shell housing.
    Cheers Gerry

As usual, it took some to-and-froing to obtain a clear question. Even so, it is still not clear to me which lights you are asking about: the round backed ones or the flared-in ones? I have a feeling the flared-in ones were usually fog lights and the round backed ones were usually driving lights, but I might be wrong.

Measurements from an existing set of lights mounted on a front guard may not meet your needs. How would we know they are in the right place? Anyone might have mounted them at any time, in whatever location they thought might be right. You might be better to put them where you think they look right and aim correctly. I think I have a second nose guard with holes for a flared light in it, and I could measure it if you wish.

Because the left and right lights are a mirror image of each other you can make one template for one side and turn it over for the other side.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Roger I have the round backed ones.
    Woody

Clearly driving lights need accurate aim. You might be best to try to remove the attaching studs from one of the light housings and play with the aim until it seems to throw in the right line. I don't know how moveable they are once you have drilled the holes.

Roger

I always thought that the round back "Frog Eye " ones were Cibie but you said they were SEV. I had some of the Cibie variety on my DS 19 Pallas. They attached with a reinforcing plate on the inside of the guard panel. If I remember correctly they had a degree of adjustment available within the range of the larger diameter holes drilled into the guard. The design of the sloped mounting pretty much takes care of the vertical alignment.
    Cheers Gerry

Hi Woody,
    This is probably no help at all, but best to mention it if it is. Probably first front and not SEV

https://www.nuancierds.fr/DT%20phares.htm

Peter

Thread Information