DS Speedometer Cable Removal
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: DS Speedometer Cable Removal

Default DS Speedometer Cable Removal

Greetings

My speedo is not working. I have tested the top half of the cable and speedometer by making a simple jig and using a hand drill. All works fine. That means the problem is the lower half, or the pinion. I cannot see how to remove the cable from the gearbox. The manual simply says "remove speedometer cable"! But how?

Any advice welcomed. Also assuming it is the pinion is that a gearbox strip, or can it be removed when the cable is out?

Advertisement

Regards
    Errol

Hello, follow the cable to the gearbox, just below where it enters, there is a bolt which would be at 90 degrees to the cable. Undo and remove that bolt completely, the cable will then pull out. The pinion is beneath it and can be fished out.
    Before you do all that, have a look at the lower cable where it joins the upper, are the socket and spade in good condition? Were they correctly mated in the first place? Can you rotate the lower inner cable? It shouldn't rotate more than taking up slack.
    If you can get the front off the ground and on axle stands, start the engine, put in gear and see if lower half inner rotates. There is bound to be an easier way, someone here will tell you.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

A little background. I have just changed my KPH speedo for a MPH, but foolishly I did not bench check the "new" one before installation. On a test drive it was not working, so I removed the cluster and found that the speedo was stuck solid due to years of crud. By using some lubricant, and the jig mentioned earlier, I managed to release this and get it rotating freely. However during the test drive something must have "given up" - no doubt the weakest link. I do know it is from the central join in the cable to the gearbox.

By following your removal procedure I will test the cable (both section joined) to see where the fault lies (hopefully).

Regards
    Errol

Hello, if you remove the speedo head from the binnacle, you can clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Fill up your best cereal bowl with the stuff then lower it in. I try to avoid getting the face wet. Soak and then swill it about a bit, leave to drain then fully dry with a hair dryer.
    You have to be careful lubricating the mechanism, a bit like clocks, they don't like WD40. I wouldn't bother lubing it. If you do, the pivots (bearings) need the minutest amount of clock oil (a pin dipped in oil, allowed to drain then touched against the pivot).
    Speedy Cables in Wales can re-calibrate and clean the speedo. Their name is a misnomer, allow three months and about £100.

Peter

fully dry with a hair dryer.
    Red hot elements and isopropyl alcohol are a formula for disaster.

I'd suggest, for ones own safety, it would be wise to choose a solvent that not a flammable VOC if using a hair dryer.

Alternately use compressed air to dry it.
    UFO likes this.

Cause of the initial problem has been identified. The lug at the base of the lower speedo cable has broken off. Of course when removing the cable the pinion dropped out, and with it went the lug. So, my new issue is to retrieve this bit of rogue metal. Hopefully by draining the oil from the 5th gear chamber and using a flexible magnet I will be able to get it out. Well I am praying I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Red hot elements and isopropyl alcohol are a formula for disaster.

I'd suggest, for ones own safety, it would be wise to choose a solvent that not a flammable VOC if using a hair dryer.

Alternately use compressed air to dry it.
    Hello, most of the isopropyl alcohol we can get in UK is 70%, the rest is water. Once the alcohol has evaporated (I was gonna say flashed off!) it leaves behind some water, hence the hair dryer.
    A blast of compressed air could damage the hair spring.
    My wife would love a hair dryer that hot!
    Good job I didn't say acetone or petrol, I've used both in the past

Peter

Hello, if it doesn't come out with the oil, the front plate comes off quite easily. No gasket from what I can remember, just Loctite 515.

While you are under there, may as well change all the gearbox oil.... (mine was like oxtail soup)

Thanks Peter for the advice. No luck coming out with the oil. I will try with a magnet before removing the front plate. I am always wary of springs shooting out when working on gearboxes.

Cheers

UFO

Is the missing piece made of steel? If not no magnet will pick it up of course.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Thread Information