Bubbles in the LHM
  • Register
  • Help

Default Bubbles in the LHM

This is a long story, my problem is that the front brakes drag on the ID19B so I thought there must be air in the system, so this is what I did.
    1. lowered suspension and cracked open the acumulator valve and let it idle watching the fluid though the filler on the LHM tank...20 minutes later still bubbles although very fine by this time and definitly less than at the start, are these supposed to stop?
    2. Next connected all 4 brake breed nipples with plastic tubes to the tank, had someone in the car press the brake pedal while I opened them all, lots of air came out then clear so I did them up again.
    3. took it for a drive....no drag
    4. left car sitting for a few hours
    4. drag is back

Advertisement

So I think it could be a sphere leaking but that is unlikely as this problem has been around for over a year and it would be flat by now. Or maybe a leak on the suction side.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Mark McKibbin

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Hi Mark,

do you mean brake drag, or brake delay. What year is the ID ?? The pistons may well be just stuck and need to be popped out of the calipers and new oring seals fitted if they are dragging.

If there is a brake delay, as in, you press the button wait.... then the brakes come on. Yep it is possible you have an air leak vacum side of the pump (probably a deteriated reseviour - pump line). My best bet would be the accumulator sphere is slowly leaking nitrogen into your brakes (being an ID it won't have a brake accumulator).

good luck !
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Hi Shane

Drag not delay, its a 1968 last of the nice dash before they went funny and circular.
    Mark McKibbin

Bubbles in an LHM tank are the equivalent to ...... errhhmm; how do I say this discreetly? farting in the bathtub....all bubbles, going nowhere.
    When the pressure reg "bleed valve" is released, it allows the fluid in the return lines clear access to the tank, not into the system. As there is air mixed with the fluid, there must be bubbles. In cases of severe problems in BXs mainly in the struts, it can create bubbles but I doubt it would in a D. I'd be inclined to firstly look at wheel cylinders closely followed by the brake valve as being likely suspects.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Does not explain why the drag went away after a bleed, but I'll have to admit I just don't want to pull half the car apart to find out!
    Mark McKibbin

Mark,

Did you have weight on the rear end when you bled it? If not there is aklways a chance that you may have air trapped in the rear circuit.
    If you have a sticky brake valve, I believe it would be possible for it to build up pressure after the bleed due to use.

Alan S

Fellow Frogger!

If the drag went away after you bled the system, it sounds like the air is causing the problem.

I would agree with shane, that a close look at the suction pipe and seals would be a good idea.

After that, you could suspect the pump, a cracked body or leaking cover could let air into the LHM, I have seen it before on another car.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

ok bear with me here

i have been thinking hydraulically again

the pump isn't cavitating is it ?

does the reservoir have a filter on it for incoming air, if so is it clean ?

if the filter is dirty or blocked it can cause a low pressure situation in the tank and thus creates high vacuum which you will then have the fluid turn to vapour at the pump intake (bubbles) and then return to fluid on the discharge side where there isn't any vacuum

this if left can cause major damage to a pump

i might be on the wrong track in regards to the citroen setup but if all else is ok and they do have an air filter for the incoming air into the tank then it may be somewhere to look as the bubbles can remain present in low viscousity fluids

also if the pump is cavitating it will make a hell of a racket

if they don't have air filters on them then this would lead to contaminants into the LHM like dust and dirt which will kill the system so i am assuming they must have something on the LHM tanks to prevent this
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

This what you're talking about?

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/...comparison.jpg

Alan S

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    This what you're talking about?

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/snippets/...comparison.jpg

Alan S

that would be it

without knowing cit's inside out (but one day i will be graced with a CX) i just wasn't sure if they did or didn't

i didn't think the citroen engineers would go to all that trouble without having the right filters on the car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thread Information