Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By badabec
  • 3 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By skp

Thread: '74 D Super - clutch/gearbox noise

Tadpole

Default '74 D Super - clutch/gearbox noise

Hello from.a new member...

I picked up a new to me 1974 D Super yesterday. 2.0 with 4 speed manual 'box. On the way home - after about 50 miles or so - I started hearing a grinding/scraping noise when the clutch was depressed.

I stopped, shut the car off and restarted without the clutch pedal pressedand the noise had gone. As soon as you press the pedal the noise starts and then doesn't stop when you release the pedal - only when you stop the engine.

I'm assuming (hoping!) it's likely to be a release bearing. Seems I'm going to need to get my hands dirty sooner rather than later with my new toy! Any tips or guides on how to change the clutch? Does the gearbox need to come off? Can it be done with the engine in the car?

Apart from that, I loved my first drive in my D! They really are like nothing else. My other French car is a 205 Mi16 so quite a contrast!

Cheers,
    Justin

Advertisement

Hello, keeping it simple, check the clutch cable at the gearbox end. Is yours right or left hand drive? On the RHD cars the connection between the end of the cable and the actuating fork is a bit of a Citroen lash up. They bend. Maybe it is rubbing on something.
    You can 'just' take the gearbox out to change the clutch, you'll learn more creative ways to swear.
    Before it comes to that, Jamie at DSWorkshop lives nearby, works in Potters Bar, give him a call.

Peter
    Justin85 likes this.

It does sound like a sticky throw out bearing (clutch release bearing) you could try lifting the rubber dust seal at the clutch fork and using a torch and squeeze type bottle squirt some graphite powder onto the spline, have an assistant press and release the clutch at the same time - A mechanic friend of mine used this with success on an old ID of mine delaying the need to replace an otherwise good clutch for several years.

Cheers
    Chris
    Roger Wilkinson, UFO and Justin85 like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the graphite powder and I'll have a word with Jamie.
    It's a RHD car - I watched the clutch action with the Mrs. operating the pedal, and it looked okay, if a bit of a lash up!

I've worked on a few of my own cars over the years but this is a bit different!

Cheers,
    Justin.
    1974 Citroen D Super
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTI16
    1999 Mercedes R129 SL500
    1999 Lotus Elise S1

Hello, don't forget the D Rally at Little Horwood (near Milton Keynes) 5th to 7th July. Main fun is on Saturday and Sunday

Little Horwood
    Church Street
    Milton Keynes
    MK17 0PF

Peter

skp
    Fellow Frogger!

If the clutch issue persists, don't hesitate - take the entire engine / gearbox unit out! Daunting tho' it may seem, this is the BEST way to deal with these. There are a number of really awkward bits on a DS to service in situ... taking the lot out gives good access. Service the ancillary bits, and you can look at a LONG trouble free experience.
    I run a DS workshop, and from long experience, this is the EASIEST approach.
    skp
    JohnW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    If the clutch issue persists, don't hesitate - take the entire engine / gearbox unit out! Daunting tho' it may seem, this is the BEST way to deal with these. There are a number of really awkward bits on a DS to service in situ... taking the lot out gives good access. Service the ancillary bits, and you can look at a LONG trouble free experience.
    I run a DS workshop, and from long experience, this is the EASIEST approach.
    skp
    Gotta say I disagree with you. Unless you have space for a dedicated workshop, then you can do the clutch in situ quite easily. Of course the front wings, bumper, cooling etc needs to be removed, but having done it both ways mostly it's less painful than a complete engine removal

Thread Information