DS23 err.........Am I not missing something there?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: DS23 err.........Am I not missing something there?

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default DS23 err.........Am I not missing something there?

While I was attempting an all round grease and oil change on the DS, after removing the panels behind the wheels, I could swear I had never noticed that both sides are not the same , or am I missing something?ds front left- reduced.jpgDS front right-reduced.jpg

Advertisement
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Havn't you ever seen a height corrector before? Only one is required for the whole front suspension.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    Havn't you ever seen a height corrector before? Only one is required for the whole front suspension.

Cheers, Ken
    Well I always thought I needed to have two to perform better.

I have to owe up to not having removed the plates behind the wheels before and just grease through the holes provided.

Thanks

The height corrector is connected to a rod that goes to a clamp in the middle of that end's anti-roll bar. So, as Ken says, you need only one height corrector at each end of the car.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    The height corrector is connected to a rod that goes to a clamp in the middle of that end's anti-roll bar. So, as Ken says, you need only one height corrector at each end of the car.

Roger
    Thanks Roger, I knew about height correctors, but somehow assumed there was one on each corner, and as I said had never had cause to remove the plates so never really looked closely.
    There you go , the learning is never over.

Icon12

Sacré bleu! lift your game ami!

Your penance should include removing the offending part, nettoyage and resassembly with new pipe seals and boots and putting it back in!

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Your penance should include removing the offending part, nettoyage and resassembly with new pipe seals and boots and putting it back in!
    Am willing, don't know about able, but if you have a procedure written in large fonts and pictures, maybe in Francais or the luxury of a video, I'll give it a go, What are the benefits of the nettoyage?

Also is the rear one on the same side?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Am willing, don't know about able, but if you have a procedure written in large fonts and pictures, maybe in Francais or the luxury of a video, I'll give it a go, What are the benefits of the nettoyage?

Also is the rear one on the same side?
    YES The rear height corrector is on the left side. Access behind small pressed metal plates. Be advised to clean and use penetrating oil on the small nuts/bolts. Unlike the front ones these are exposed to road grit and water.
    Have a look under the rear of your C5. ( for ease ) Same theory in different practice. Roll bar, small lever link to the electronic height sensor....but located in the centreline of the car and terribly exposed. The beauty of the DS design is the way everything is covered unlike modern practice.

Did you find the grease nipple on the top of the roll bar housing ?

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post

Did you find the grease nipple on the top of the roll bar housing ?
    Vee are talking about the rear now, Ya?

Fellow Frogger!

On the right side of the car you would have been able to see the actuating lever of one of the self levelling headlight cables.
    Have you noticed the four big bolts that hold the entire front suspension housing to the frame ? It is behind these bolts that late DS crack their welded mounts.
    Have you also realised the suspension arms are located in tapered roller bearings ? Not a bushing in the entire car. The rear arms are located that way too, unlike your X7 that has thousands of rubber bushings/blocks. Precise location and heaps of available movement in compression and rebound. Have a good look at the small rubber conical bump stop rubbers. They may have degraded.
    IF the DS starts to leak from the front suspension drip return boot you are now halfway to replacing it. Clean fingernails of black moly grease before the celebratory glass of wine.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    Or as one or two old club sages are known to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Vee are talking about the rear now, Ya?
    No..... Avant ...There is a grease nipple atop the top housing above the front roll bar .. just below the height corrector, in fact the height corrector linkage itself pivots in that housing. That bearing is a graphite ( ?? ) impregnated plastic so it needs a bit of grease.
    There is nothing to grease on the rear suspension except for the ball that the pushrod in the sphere/cylinder operates on. It is easy to remove the ligarex strap and peel back the small mushroom shaped boot and add a fingerfull of grease.

Not a bushing in the entire car.
    There are two rubber bushings in the centre of the steering rack.

Roger

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    There are two rubber bushings in the centre of the steering rack.

Roger
    I am pleased to be corrected. I had forgotten that. Something of an evolution.. Tractions used silentblocks, Ds used tapered rollers, later hydro cars used small roller bearings and first shape C5s use a combination of rubber bushes on the front and bearings on the rear arms..X7s have rubber bushes everywhere.

We won't mention the big cushions in a Bibax .... front "hangers" of clockwork brake calipers or engine/gearbox mounts.
    I have often wondered why the front suspension cradle of the D could not have been done with rubber isolators to cut the noise transmission. More expense I suppose.

On the right side of the car you would have been able to see the actuating lever of one of the self levelling headlight cables.
    Have you noticed the four big bolts that hold the entire front suspension housing to the frame ? It is behind these bolts that late DS crack their welded mounts.
    Have you also realised the suspension arms are located in tapered roller bearings ? Not a bushing in the entire car. The rear arms are located that way too, unlike your X7 that has thousands of rubber bushings/blocks. Precise location and heaps of available movement in compression and rebound. Have a good look at the small rubber conical bump stop rubbers. They may have degraded.
    IF the DS starts to leak from the front suspension drip return boot you are now halfway to replacing it. Clean fingernails of black moly grease before the celebratory glass of wine.
    Excellent, will take a look in the morning. Perfect time to have a look at that , with the car naked. Thanks M.Fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    Or as one or two old club sages are known to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Craig is right, leave the damn thing alone, what's it ever done to you? I think the DSSMpassion guy on youtube has a vid on method for strip and clean, but just watch that if you're bored. If it works and no leaks then why would you bother. I was joking btw earlier.

voila! He's starting video with pipes just cut off and nobody should do that really. It does pay to crack the rear corrector pipe nuts by turning a fraction tighter, the corrosion issue is worse on the rear ones as discussed. You looosen everything off then unbolt the clamp holding it to the frame. In French too!

https://youtu.be/DWeqIAUDUx0
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 10th June 2019 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks for the video, but I might pass, looks like a bit fiddly, and probably not as easy as it seems.
    My car seems to correct the height ok, although it doesn't seem to behave like the Dss of the 70's when they were new.
    I remember then being able to sit in the back of a car that had been parked for hours, engine off, and having my feet on the ground, you would feel the car rise. But not just once! You could that over and over again.
    My DS23 will do it only once. Correctors issue?

Tadpole

I am not in this 'thread' but totally agree with this comment.
    Had a 'sliding doors' moment this week myself.
    Me (talking to a mechanic)…….I want to check the compression in my combustion chambers with a compression tester. The book says I should have 8.75:1 compression.
    That did not mean a thing to me so I said to him " what should I expect to see on the PSI compression guage?"
    I have retensioned the head bolts also.

Mechanic...….. Have you cracked & removed the head bolts, put some oil on the threads & screwed them back in because some of them will not react to the tension wrench.
    You will expect to see somewhere between 120-150 PSI.
    Me...….I will go do that straight away.
    Managed to break two head bolts in the removal.
    Upon removing the head for inspection found the head gasket in perfect nick. **** me!!
    If it ain't broke DON'T FIX IT!!!!
    UFO and jaahn like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the video, but I might pass, looks like a bit fiddly, and probably not as easy as it seems.
    My car seems to correct the height ok, although it doesn't seem to behave like the Dss of the 70's when they were new.
    I remember then being able to sit in the back of a car that had been parked for hours, engine off, and having my feet on the ground, you would feel the car rise. But not just once! You could that over and over again.
    My DS23 will do it only once. Correctors issue?
    What do you mean by "behave like the DSs of the 70s " The cars now will be somewhat tired...accumulator pressures will have faded and the accumulators are probably what you recall. IF you mean the ultra softness and great rise and fall as people got in or got out you need to know that over the years the DS range were "stiffened" mainly in the damper settings below the spheres to reduce body roll. Your 23 will not ride with the fluidity of earlier cars or have the loading/unloading dramatic rise/fall and self correction effect. The height correctors are only valves. They can only distribute what pressure is available..and if accumulators are already spent keeping brakes and steering systems fed there is little left for the obvious height correction to occur. remember there is a set priority of "service" brakes and steering get priority ( as primary safety items ) .

Fellow Frogger!

There are some wonderful pictures on the next post about restoration of a safari...they show just the places you have been today..and show the bosses that the front suspension units bolt to. These are the big welded mounting points that in later Ds were prone to cracking.
    He also complains about the awkwardness of the roll bar to height corrector linkage and the difficulty in removing the front anti roll bar.

and once you turn the engine off, a lot of accumulator capacity these days goes into supplying the leaks in the brake valve, power steering, height correctors, suspension cylinders and other bits . If you renew your LHM, you will get about 2 weeks of glorious hydraulic performance before it degrades to its previous standard.

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
    and once you turn the engine off, a lot of accumulator capacity these days goes into supplying the leaks in the brake valve, power steering, height correctors, suspension cylinders and other bits . If you renew your LHM, you will get about 2 weeks of glorious hydraulic performance before it degrades to its previous standard.

Cheers, Ken
    Do you mean the the quality of the LHM degrades in two weeks?

1000+ Posts

I thought that the soft ride that only seems to last a short time was caused by air that inevitably gets into the system when you clean out the LHM tank and refill it - the air bubbles act like extra nitrogen in the spheres, and probably take a couple of weeks to work their way out .
    GreenBlood likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I thought that the soft ride that only seems to last a short time was caused by air that inevitably gets into the system when you clean out the LHM tank and refill it - the air bubbles act like extra nitrogen in the spheres, and probably take a couple of weeks to work their way out .
    That was my understanding too, but more like a few days of regular use before the system purges the air. . . The LHM certainly isn't degraded and I don't think Ken intended that interpretation.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information