Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Andrew Watkins
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By driven
  • 1 Post By 2CV David

Thread: Alternatives to helicoiling for loose spark plugs

Fellow Frogger!

Default Alternatives to helicoiling for loose spark plugs

The person who was recommended to me to helicoil a new spark plug thread has recommended an alternative insert that is supposedly more reliable but of course also much more expensive.
    Any suggestions as to the most long lasting and cost effective way of curing my 2CV that is intent on coughing out its spark plugs ?

Advertisement
    Nostalgia.....aahh It's not what it used to be

Helicoils are easy.
    Can do an in place head helical by using lots of grease on the tap to capture the swarf so it doesn't get into cylinder head

How expensive are new heads?

Roger

1000+ Posts

Hi jackal
    Well it has been said that helicoils are not good for spark plug threads or other applications that need to be unscrewed often or even occasionally perhaps. The insert can become unscrewed with the spark plug when it is removed. So more trouble. The heat and carbon can aggravate this. They are very reliable for threads that are fit and forget. IMHO.

So various other inserts are available for more demanding applications. I am a bit out of the trade these days but in times past i used this place in Newcastle that supplied inserts and lots of other interesting useful things also. They supply to the trade and direct too. Read their informative descriptions AND their Newsletter #22 for the reason why Helicoils Wind Out !
    https://crosstools.com.au/
    https://crosstools.com.au/latest-newsletter.html
    https://crosstools.com.au/assets/cro...ws--5-2012.pdf
    Jaahn
    PS why does your 2CV spit out plugs. New heads may be a good option ! Then be normally careful with the plugs !!
    Last edited by jaahn; 9th June 2019 at 10:18 PM.

Can you use a wick-in Loctite and let it go off for quite a while to help secure the insert against spark plug removal? I realise I have one in an as yet unused cylinder head for a Renault 4CV. I've never had a helicoil in anything before.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Can you use a wick-in Loctite and let it go off for quite a while to help secure the insert against spark plug removal? I realise I have one in an as yet unused cylinder head for a Renault 4CV. I've never had a helicoil in anything before.
    Hi John
    I can only say that people do use helicoils for spark plugs and they will work OK, but can wind out. Better in a water cooled head I think. But read that sites advice about (not)using locktite on them.
    All quick fixes have a good side and a bad side too. Knowing what they are can save you having a failure. The problem with spark plugs is they can bind at the bottom thread from heat and carbon and wind the insert out. But you might never do that with an old low use motor.
    Jaahn

Timeserts are used for spark plugs oops some already posted wurth site

My first & last attempt at helicoil failed

On an earlier job I used BigSert, a last chance approach - was highly successful (hired the kit off an engineer in Melbs)

The engineer reckons helicoil was 1st generation technology, he believes timesert, or BigSert if already helicoiled, is way to go

++ BIG-SERT Oversized thread repair kits ++ thread repair kits for oversized holes, previously repaired threads oversized holes
    '73 & '74 GS Break
    '00 Xantia Break
    '78 504 GL - gone to good home
    '69 ID19B - if wasn't for mortgage would still have, '74 DS23 Pallas
    '74 Renault TS , '69 Renault TS - last seen forlorn at Taminda wreckers

Fellow Frogger!

Some grades of Loctite are not all that heat resistant - the way to get them undone is to apply heat

This may be an issue with cylinder head ( especially air cooled), but those who do this for a living should have the final say

Good luck

Andrew

driven and JohnW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    Hi John
    I can only say that people do use helicoils for spark plugs and they will work OK, but can wind out. Better in a water cooled head I think. But read that sites advice about (not)using locktite on them.
    All quick fixes have a good side and a bad side too. Knowing what they are can save you having a failure. The problem with spark plugs is they can bind at the bottom thread from heat and carbon and wind the insert out. But you might never do that with an old low use motor.
    Jaahn
    Thanks Jaahn. There's a lot to be said for not over-tightening spark plugs and pulling them out from time to time.... Finger tight plus a tiny bit of a tweak is usually enough.
    jaahn likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Loctite is destroyed by heat. You can undo a Loctite joint easily by applying heat
    Last edited by driven; 15th June 2019 at 05:56 PM. Reason: duplicate
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Loctite is destroyed by heat. You can undo a Loctite joint easily by applying heat

Time serts are the answer.
    JohnW likes this.

Thread Information