Changing gearbox oil - - side nut
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Changing gearbox oil - - side nut

Changing gearbox oil - - side nut

Advertisement

Iím just about to drain the gearbox oil on our 1968 ID19B.
    In the photo I have included, there is a bolt on the left hand side of the gearbox (looking from the front ). I will take this bolt out and when I fill up the gearbox with oil through the top filler bolt, the oil should come out of the hole when the gearbox is filled to the correct depth.

Am I right here or is this bolt not for this purpose.

Thanks John.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fellow Frogger!

Yes. The bolt sticking out of the side serves to tell you when the level is correct. Attached here is another photo.

Some people also use that plug hole to fill the gearbox as the proper fill plug is on the top face of the gearbox and can be awkward to access. IMG_7890 copy 2.jpg
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    Yes. The bolt sticking out of the side serves to tell you when the level is correct. Attached here is another photo.

Some people also use that plug hole to fill the gearbox as the proper fill plug is on the top face of the gearbox and can be awkward to access. IMG_7890 copy 2.jpg
    Thanks for that. The oil that I've drained out is lovely and clean so when I had it serviced at DS Motors we were doing the right thing. I"ll let it drain overnight and put new gear oil on tomorrow. It's getting hell of a cold here and England must be warming up.
    We're taking a road trip soon so I'll do a grtease etc.

Thanks again, John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing gearbox oil  - - side nut-ds-pt-macdonnel-5.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Lovely car!

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Fellow Frogger!

I suppose I should do the same with the '62 ID Slough Safari.
    "Just Cits", the Citroen mechanic down the road from Maleny QLD sent me down the rubber cover to replace the damaged one on the brake pressure switch. I've put it on and the Safari is back on the road.
    With John and Janet driving their "modern" DS and me in the ID we're off to the Western District of Victoria for a 3 day rally.
    The Grampians, the coastal towns of Warnambool and Port Fairy, the big Red Gums through the sheep country and the flat plains dotted with salt lakes.
    Michael

Fellow Frogger!

Busy doing engine oil change and grease. I greased the rear ram rods not long ago putting better balls in.

Here is a pic of the plate under the bonnet - - - note the ID19 - - B, making the 4th gear a little higher than the Special and some 21's.

You can't do much better than a ID19B for simple highway cruising - - - apart from the long stroke cars - - pure joy and yes they are personal QLD plates in earlier days which I'll have to get round to selling if there is a way of changing ownership.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fellow Frogger!

Gilberthenry , the addition of a can of Nulon gearbox PTFE additive can help quieten these transmissions & usually improves the change as well.

Richard.

Thread Information