Citroen SM window problems
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Citroen SM window problems

Hi, first thread ever for me! I have a Citroen SM with an obstinate driver's window. Have removed door card and motor. Motor works well with 12v across the terminals. I suspect a gear problem, can the little gearbox be removed on its own or do you have to remove the regulator and gears in one - if so how?

Advertisement

Help please.
    I have a Dyane 6 registered in Qld and a 1981 Alpine A310

Hi Nick

Im down in Tas with SM and Dyane!! - opposite ends. Have you check ed that the the gear is not broken? There were replacement ones for sale in the US. I think originals were plastic 9mine still work) but go to https://www.autoepoca.it/brands/mase...ings-maserati/ and look as brass ones are available. Sometimes on ebay.

Also worth carefully taking the rocker switches out, disassemble and clean the contacts - they are probably burnt out like mine were.

Good luck!
    JB

no suggestions except here is a link to motor repair from super dude. Hes got other vids you will no doubt be interested in watching!

https://youtu.be/P9Fi41fp9wk

Icon14

Hi Nick,

JB is on the money. The nylon gear that receives the worm from the motor in the gearbox have all got to the splitting stage by now. I had one jam last year and there was a big lurch in the other one so I have now installed brass gears on both sides. You can buy them from the SM Club de France or Atelier 524.

If you have the deft touch and feel, lots of patience and the window is up near the top of its run, it is not too difficult to take out the 4 nuts and bolts that hold the motor/gearbox onto the window regulator and then withdraw the combined unit out through one of the holes in the door. It is then easy to take the cover off the gearbox, extract the split gear and replace it with a brass one and re-grease. It will whirr a bit louder with the brass gear but it won't go up and down much faster.

Cheers, Ken

Tadpole

Just got to get the gear out!. The rocker switch certainly works, starts motor up when motor removed and wires attached, I'll work on the gear, thanks

Tadpole

So you can remove the gearbox without the regulator, I'll work on that. I have the motor out already. The window is, unfortunately only half way up, thanks, I'll keep on at it

Tadpole

Thanks for that, I'll have a good long look at it

Hi Nick,

SM Australia used to sell the brass gears for the windows. They also made them operate faster some how, not sure if it was the gear or the motor. Anyway Peter McLeod is no longer operating SM Australia but he may be able to be contacted and he may still have some parts. Would be worth tracking him down.
    cheers Tony

If the window is just slow it may be due to voltage drop across the rocker switch and several meters of old Citroen wiring with mutiple conectors , on my SM I fitted two relays in the door , on for up and one for down , they were fed power from a large cable direct to battery and were activated by the rocker switchs . Worked a treat.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Citroen DS23 EFi Safari
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Any chance of a photograph of the gear / mechanism of the SM please. Just interested as to how the SM works. Was it one of the first to have "electric" windows?

Default Some Broken Gears

Hi,

I have been through all my pictures and I don't seem to have any from when I took my window drives out to fit the brass gears. But I did find my old gears and there is a pic below. You will see the stress cracks at each of the hexagon corners and then one gets right through and the gear expands in size to get jammed in the housing.

Window Winder Gears.jpg

Here is a link to another post with some more discussion on repairing window winders.

Working on the SM

Cheers, Ken
    Last edited by Ken W; 5th June 2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: add more

Tadpole

All removed, gearbox opened and - nylon gear disintegrated just the same as in the picture on your later post, I'll get one from Atelier 524, thanks

Hi Nick,

I got your phone message. Below is the link to the gear at Atelier 524. You don't even have to pay the french GST and probably not the Australian one either. I would buy two unless you know the other door has already been done.

https://www.atelier524.com/en/doors-...tre-de-sm.html

Cheers, Ken

Thread Information