• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Traction Starter Motor Issue

Tadpole

Default Traction Starter Motor Issue

Hi All,
    Having an issue with our 1948-50 Traction starter motor.
    Starter motor is turning over but not engaging to start engine.
    The shaft at the rear of the motor is spinning but a sort of grinding noise is coming from that area.
    Any advice much appreciated.

Advertisement

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

The grinding noise is likely the starter pinion grinding on the flywheel's edge. Literally- stop doing that. If you continue, your next step will be replace a hard-to-find flywheel. It sounds like the Bendix drive has failed. Your best bet is either take it to an electrical shop you can trust, or buy a replacement rebuilt.

One thing I would do before all that though is make sure the bolts holding the starter in place are cinched up. I have seen on other cars where the bolts are loose, causing tooth misalignment.
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

Fellow Frogger!

I had a similar experience the other day with the motor out of my TA BL. I bought a new battery (6Volt French car) problem immediately solved.
    Cheers.

British TA or French TA??? The starter pinions are quite different. British is Lucas, and French can either have Bendix or Benada pinions. If French the Ford A model Bendix drive is a viable replacement!
    Hotrodelectric likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thanks everyone, the car is a French built TA, battery is not an issue, have stopped cranking the starter and will check if bolts are not up tight. If the starter has to come out are there any tricks l should be aware of.
    Thanks again.

On an 11BL it is easier to remove the manifold to gain access to the starter. With an 11 Normale there is more room to clear the underside of the exhaust manifold.
    It is possible to remove the starter on an 11BL without removing the manifolds but it requires jacking the motor and undoing the rear engine mount. To get at that one needs to remove the carpet and then one can see the rear mount housing to remove it and then the rubber mount block. Even having done this clearance is tight and if you have a decent engine bay inish it may well be damaged. My advice------ remove the manifold first. While the manifold is off check the mounting faces with a straight edge to ensure that they are all in a single plane. Manifolds do warp with age. They can be rectified by machining and checking against a surface plate. Renew the gaskets and refit!
    Cheers Gerry

Thread Information