Running lean
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gerrypro

Thread: Running lean

Tadpole

Default Running lean

My '74 DS23 is running very lean ( consistent backfires) . It is a carby model. Any adjustments I can make myself?
    Thanks

Advertisement

Clean the Carburettor.
    Set the points and set the ignition timing. If this fails look deeper into the function of the fuel pump and the integrity of the fuel line and pick up in the tank. It may be drawing in air from a split hose. Also check that the filler cap breathes properly. It has been known to become blocked causing a low pressure in the tank as the pump tries to draw fuel.
    driven likes this.
    Cheers Gerry

Tadpole

Thanks Gerry,
    I've cleaned the carburettor with no result. Will take your advice on the rest.

1000+ Posts

Hi
    Just the usual suggestions. Air leaks, hoses split, manifold loose, gasket failed, carby base warped, gasket/heat spacer warped.

You might laugh at the manifold loose one but I looked at a car once that was "going OK" but seemed lean etc and when i leaned on the carby it stalled because all the manifold nuts were loose. When it started it sucked the manifold on and ran OK, but the guy said hard to start.
    Jaahn

Fellow Frogger!

Some more explanation of when it backfires might be useful.
    If you have the timing wrong or if you have the spark plug leads on wrong then it would backfire and not start and frighten you dreadfully. If you have removed the distributor and put it back 180 degrees out it will also do this (not sure if this is possible in the DS, but it is a trap for some models).
    Erik

Thread Information