A Brisbane house for sale, that will bring back lots of memories
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: A Brisbane house for sale, that will bring back lots of memories

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Default A Brisbane house for sale, that will bring back lots of memories

This is the house for sale in Red Hill , and many will miss it as much as I do:image.jpg

Advertisement
    gsowner84 likes this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Please explain in best PH voice

1000+ Posts

It took seconds to find this https://www.domain.com.au/9-woolcock...059-2014981519 and others like it.

For us southerners please explain ----Who operated out of these premises? I see that the Tricolor is proudly emblazoned on the wall!
    Cheers Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerrypro View Post
    For us southerners please explain ----Who operated out of these premises? I see that the Tricolor is proudly emblazoned on the wall!
    Lance and John of DS Motors Gerry, sadly long retired now but you can still smell the LHM as you drive past. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Dano, FIVEDOOR and gsowner84 like this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Owning a Citroen isn't the same with Lance and John going into retirement.
    With John Walton methodically working under the hoist, I'd walk in with a query or to fill up some containers with LHM and Lance would have that bemused "smile" on his face ... How are you Michael? .....and we'd chat about the car he'd be working on and help me with my queries.
    Great memories .......... life goes on
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Lance and John of DS Motors Gerry, sadly long retired now but you can still smell the LHM as you drive past. . .

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks Chris , I thought it might be them. I met Lance only once in Castlemaine on the day of Roger Brundle's ( Lhs2.1) funeral. He was returning from a Targa Tas. in the TA.
    Cheers Gerry

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by IDear View Post
    Owning a Citroen isn't the same with Lance and John going into retirement.
    With John Walton methodically working under the hoist, I'd walk in with a query or to fill up some containers with LHM and Lance would have that bemused "smile" on his face ... How are you Michael? .....and we'd chat about the car he'd be working on and help me with my queries.
    Great memories .......... life goes on
    Michael

Agreed !!!! I miss their friendly easily dispensed knowledge....John was amazingly efficient and watching him in process was educative, informative and inevitably CORRECT.
    I knew Lance back when we were both 19 years of age.....
    forumnoreason likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

I am wondering whether people on this site could send in photos taken at DS Motors. It would be great for "posterity".

Here is a pic of the Citroen "experts" some years ago on a July Bastille Day when it was moved to Queensland Uni.

From left - - Arthur Lewis (French repairs Wynnum), Lance Collins (DS Motors, Woolcock Street, Red Hill, Brisbane), Steeley (Ian Steele Just Cits near Maleny, servicing the Sunshine Coast & hinterland ) and Jim Reddiex (Maxim Motors, responsible for a large amount of D’s in Aust.).

As our restoration shop was only 2 minutes drive away. I spent a lot of time there over many years, even driving the odd dodgy car there through the back streets. I would leave a car with them and walk the 10 minutes home. It was a hub for the Brisbane and beyond Citroen fraternity and as many will know, life is just not the same without them in their Citroen only workshop. Both John and Lance would joke about how one day it would end so it had to happen. Their lives had to go in a different direction. They both travel all over so I hope the very, very best for them. They did the hard yards for many years for us and now it is their turn, with their partners, to enjoy life to the fullest. We who knew them are very fortunate as they shaped our lives with our beloved cars.

Many fond memories, of which one is - - - there was a good old QLD storm. I went down to DS Motors the next morning and the place was in a shambles. The hail was so big that it shattered the few fibreglass sheets on the roof and some of the fibro sheets. Lance was up there so I joined him to help put patches of corrugated iron to stop more rain coming in. Lance slipped, nearly falling through and a bit of the fibro roof went tumbling down. We were terrified as it only missed an SM by inches.

John and Lance worked tirelessly in this old workshop which was never to have a “renovation”. Lance of course the lively one having a go at potential customers and often cursing how a "home mechanic" had bodgied something up while John would work away in the background - - very - - quietly. I often thought how they made such perfect business partners for so many years - - - probably because they were so different.
    They both have a lot of respect for each other and - - each other’s genius with Citroens.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gilberthenry; 29th May 2019 at 10:28 AM.

Tadpole

Really great memories from the years gone past. What a job it would have been clearing the place to get it back into a house, so much there and that always made it a pleasure to visit. Great pair of people and what experts.
    Thanks for the friendship over the years.
    Alan, Ann and the Gosling clan.

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gilberthenry View Post
    I am wondering whether people on this site could send in photos taken at DS Motors. It would be great for "posterity".

Here is a pic of the Citroen "experts" some years ago on a July Bastille Day when it was moved to Queensland Uni.

From left - - Arthur Lewis (French repairs Wynnum), Lance Collins (DS Motors), Steeley (Ian Steele Just Cits near Maleny) and Jim Reddiex (Maxim Motors).

As our restoration shop was only 2 minutes drive away. I spent a lot of time there over many years, even driving the odd dodgy car there through the back streets. I would leave a car with them and walk the 10 minutes home. It was a hub for the Brisbane and beyond Citroen fraternity and as many will know, life is just not the same without them. Both John and Lance would joke about how one day it would end but their lives are just going in a different direction. They both travel all over so I hope the very, very best for them. They did the hard yards for many years for us and now it is their turn, with their partners, to enjoy life to the fullest. We who knew them are very fortunate as they shaped our lives with our beloved cars.

Many fond memories, one of too many - - - there was a good old QLD cyclone. I went down to DS Motors the next morning and the place was in a shambles. The hail was so big that it shattered the few fibreglass sheets on the roof and some of the fibro. Lance was up there so I joined him to help put patches to stop more rain coming in. Lance slipped, nearly falling through and a bit of the fibro roof went tumbling down. We were terrified as it only missed an SM by inches.

John and Lance worked tirelessly in this old workshop which was never to have a “renovation”. Lance of course the lively one having a go at potential customers and often cursing how a "home mechanic" had bodgied something up while John would work away in the background quietly - - quietly. I often thought how they made such perfect business partners for so many years - - - probably because they were so different.
    They both had a lot of respect for each other.

John
    I have a connection with ALL of them. Chronologically ... Mr Reddiex used to deliver our daily bread...yes in the big cane baskets that were hung over the arm. That was in the period before he took over the Maxim Motors business.
    About 1967 I had a Light 15 bought for me. I was 16 and unlicensed It was later sold to Ian Steele and one of "Rosie's" doors still hangs in Ian's barn shed. She was metallic maroon in colour and I fitted a yellow plastic rose to her radiator shell. It was the "flower power" period.
    I am also responsible for Arthur Lewis's exposure to hydropneumatic Citroens. We met at Carina when he and Jane were looking at a 6 cylinder Traction. That car must have had a hard life as its floor pan was reinforced with angle iron and it had stress cracks around the windscreen pillars..I digress..I took Arthur and Jane for a "demonstration" drive along a bumpy dirt road ( Meadowlands Road IIRC ). Being young and bulletproof I must have driven with ... lets say foolish bravado ... It was a 1961 Heidelberg ID .. Lido blue, white roof. and red and white vinyl seats..no power brakes..a first nose car. He was impressed by the way the spheres just absorbed everything that was happening underneath us. It was bought cheaply as it had no straight panels.
    Arthur was converted.
    Lance was a maxim Motors tech, maybe even an apprentice when I crossed his path. He and John were to later attend to my C5 at Red Hill.
    So I have clocked up fifty years as a Citroeniste.... those days of enthusiasm are probably never to return. The world has changed. The motor car is but a consumer item..even a Citroen.

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    I have a connection with ALL of them. Chronologically ... Mr Reddiex used to deliver our daily bread...yes in the big cane baskets that were hung over the arm. That was in the period before he took over the Maxim Motors business.
    About 1967 I had a Light 15 bought for me. I was 16 and unlicensed It was later sold to Ian Steele and one of "Rosie's" doors still hangs in Ian's barn shed. She was metallic maroon in colour and I fitted a yellow plastic rose to her radiator shell. It was the "flower power" period.
    I am also responsible for Arthur Lewis's exposure to hydropneumatic Citroens. We met at Carina when he and Jane were looking at a 6 cylinder Traction. That car must have had a hard life as its floor pan was reinforced with angle iron and it had stress cracks around the windscreen pillars..I digress..I took Arthur and Jane for a "demonstration" drive along a bumpy dirt road ( Meadowlands Road IIRC ). Being young and bulletproof I must have driven with ... lets say foolish bravado ... It was a 1961 Heidelberg ID .. Lido blue, white roof. and red and white vinyl seats..no power brakes..a first nose car. He was impressed by the way the spheres just absorbed everything that was happening underneath us. It was bought cheaply as it had no straight panels.
    Arthur was converted.
    Lance was a maxim Motors tech, maybe even an apprentice when I crossed his path. He and John were to later attend to my C5 at Red Hill.
    So I have clocked up fifty years as a Citroeniste.... those days of enthusiasm are probably never to return. The world has changed. The motor car is but a consumer item..even a Citroen.
    Yep, connections to these famous four also here:

I had an Xsara which I bought from young Julian, and decorated it with citroen sport livery like the rally ones,(boy,did I cop some flak from the 'cardigans' for doing that!) Anyways at Bastille day I think 2004 or 5 , Jim was there and I asked him if he could please sign the dashboard, as he was my hero. And he did kindly sign it.
    - Arthur, I met at my house one time when I was selling a 205 SI, he turned up with his son to inspect and test drive the car.
    - Ian Steele, I met more recently when I moved up to Coolum Beach. He recently did quite a bit of work on the DS23,
    - Lance and John, well I used to visit them every few months for about 10 years, during which time they serviced 2 DS and 3 C5s, a 2003, 2007, and 2010. Tons of memories there!
    There was also another gentleman , whose name I have forgotten, who offered a Citroen mobile serviceon the Gold Coast, he would turn up in his DS Safari mobile workshop, later on had a shop in Nerang I think. Anyone remember him?
    And also in Canberra, the legendary Jim Pendergast who used to service the 2cv we brought from France, and another that came overland from Holland. You had to be there!
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 28th May 2019 at 08:47 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

That would have been Klaus Kelling. He used to be the mechanic at Continental cars in the single car garage workshop beside the house that was the office and spare parts department. From there he and his wife embarked on a sea change to the Gold Coast.

Sent from my LG-K520 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Bruce H and kenlin like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Caisson View Post
    That would have been Klaus Kelling. He used to be the mechanic at Continental cars in the single car garage workshop beside the house that was the office and spare parts department. From there he and his wife embarked on a sea change to the Gold Coast.

Ah yes. Klaus Kelling .. the man who donned a spotless white lab coat before working on my spheres. I was very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Caisson View Post

Yes! Correct , that's him! I knew the name had some Germanic overtones, I never mentioned the war to him. In the end he was working from his garage at his house near Nerang. I never knew he had worked for Continental .

And had his own Sydney workshop in the White Bay, then Gladesville areas of Sydney in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by kenlin View Post
    And had his own Sydney workshop in the White Bay, then Gladesville areas of Sydney in the 1970s.
    If you cast your mind back to the 70's can you remember Jim Pendergast in Fyshwick, near Canberra?

1000+ Posts

Default A few photos

Here are some photos I took in 2012 - nothing from inside the workshop unfortunately!

These photos originally appeared in this thread:
    While wandering around Brisvegas...

Cheers

Alec
    forumnoreason and 505604 like this.

Fellow Frogger!

`Thankyou Alec, I appreciate you tracking them down. They bring the place to life - - - like it was yesterday.

If there are anymore pics of DS Motors, let's see them and celebrate the cars and people that went through.

John

I took a couple of photos on their last day at DS,will post up next week when I get home.
    Also I knew Klaus from when he was in Nerang.

Ah yes. Klaus Kelling .. the man who donned a spotless white lab coat before working on my spheres. I was very impressed.
    Oh! M.Fritzelhund, are you completely sure you haven't confused this with one of your early visits to the sperm bank?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Oh! M.Fritzelhund, are you completely sure you haven't confused this with one of your early visits to the sperm bank?
    You must be French !!!! We GERMANS have no such sense of humour.

you must be french !!!! We germans have no such sense of humour.

I KNOW.

And thank you for taking it as it was meant, just a little bit of fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Vee do have ein sense of humour.
    He was working on my spheres not my balls.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Vee do have ein sense of humour.
    He was working on my spheres not my balls.
    Ha! Ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information