2CV King pin
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 2CV King pin

Fellow Frogger!

Default 2CV King pin

Ive got 0.4mm up and down play in my kingpin( wheel) which is the maximum allowed

Some rock in the wheel , hard to tell how much

I have to remove the drive shaft to replace the boots so could I remove the threaded section under the king pin and drive out the top plug , on the top of the king, pin

Then put a drift in on the top of the kingpin and try to tap it down to see if its loose in the suspension arm???

Advertisement

Its had a hit in that side from an accident , and I am looking for damage ????

JBN

I would make sure that you have a new replacement kingpin kit plus the drift. You will need to replace the kingpins sooner or later anyhow so if you do as you intend and realise their is too much play, you can rectify the problem there and then. If there is any doubt about the other side, you can do that one also whilst you are in the "kingpin zone" and know that both sides have many years before you will need to revisit.

John

Renburg,
    being at the upper limit of the specified vertical play _on assembly_ isn't going to cause any problems, in my experience.
    However, if you're worried about it, a horseshoe washer, cut out a bean can and slipped into the gap above the cap/shroud which covers the washer stack, addresses this issue without any disassembly being required...

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks

So let me get this straight

The pin is a press fit in the suspension arm , and the wheel hub rotates on the upper and lower bushes

So in theory I can support the suspension arm on the bottom and tap the pin out from the top ?

if it doesn't just fall out,,,, cause its had a hard previous life

Tadpole

Firstly, there is a screw plug under the kingpin that needs to be removed. Then, there are two strategies in removing kingpins. First option is to support the suspension arms at the bottom of the hub and hammer the kingpins out. Expect the pins to worn fairly unevenly and will generally require a large hammer to remove them.

Secondly, to remove the suspension arms and press the pins out with a bench press.

There are some useful videos on youtube which act as a guide.

Ian S

Thread Information