• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mberry
  • 2 Post By forumnoreason

Thread: ID bucket restoration

Tadpole

Default ID bucket restoration

I have been experimenting in restoration of the light buckets on my ID19, brushing on Hydrogen Peroxide 12%, covering with a sheet of Glad Wrap and sitting in the sun for the UV to do itís work, keeping it moist with additional applications of Hydrogen Peroxide.

After several days of rotating to sun angles, the discolouration has vanished but the slightly rough surface remains.

Iím wondering whether I could apply a permanent clear UV protector such as ďOptimum optilens coatingĒ, normally for plastic headlight lenses, to add shine and protection. Would need several coats I assume.

I doní Want to paint them. I would buy new buckets instead or leave them as they are.

Advertisement

Any ideas on suitable product would be appreciated.

I have always preferred to do the headlight buckets by hand with wet and dry. It's tedious work, but, I have yet to see an alternative, if you want an original type of result. The level of finish and the shine is as you would expect - better with basically polishing the final time using a 3200 grit. Beware of repro buckets, I bought some, they were a very poor facsimile of the original, completely unusable.

MB
    gsowner84 likes this.

thats very interesting Michael, another repro part that is a waste of money. I hope others see your critique and act accordingly!
    gsowner84 and mberry like this.

Tadpole

OK, thanks Michael. Will apply lots of elbow grease.
    Disappointing and surprising about substandard new buckets. Makes one wonder why they bother!

Fellow Frogger!

I think we know why they bother. The question is how they pass any quality control before they go into production. Iíve got a horrible feeling we know the answer to that one too!!

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Thread Information