• 3 Post By UFO
  • 2 Post By harrisson_citroen
  • 1 Post By Armidillo

Thread: Electric DS

Default Electric DS

First generation electric DS......

Advertisement

https://youtu.be/GYpWHMBswUs

Letís hope someone out there, maybe one of Elon Muskís engineers, can now come up with a standard package thatíll give a decent range and performance 😀
    Marion likes this.
    Cheers, Marc.

1987 CX GTi T2 Maikonics
    1972 SM 2.7 carb
    1972 DS21 EFI

Fellow Frogger!

Bruno has a most annoying "laugh"....
    and also wants to lower the car "gangster style"... it never ceases to amaze me that people want a car to have NO suspension travel and be terrain following.....

There is also a You Tube about a blue Dutch DS converted to electric power.
    I didn't notice any reference to which gear the electric motor uses....retains the DS manual gearbox. I had turned off the sound.

Amazing how the DS's self levelling can still amaze so many years on. I only wish my C5 had so much more suspension travel and suppleness.
    UFO likes this.

UFO

I agree. I first saw the video a few days ago linked from the CCC UK Facebook pages. As an Australian I was embarrassed by the ridiculous carry on, stupid giggling, stupid questions and appalling camera work. It would have been so much better to video, learn, edit and overdub.

Similar comments were made on FB about it.
    mberry, Kenfuego and JohnW like this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Couldn't agree more, I'm not a doctor and I'm not sure what would make someone behave that way. A shame. I still can't work out if it was somehow meant to be funny.

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

It would have been so good to hear Aldo, the owner, explaining the process instead of that gibberish.
    What amazed me is that - with help - this conversion appears to be within reach of ordinary DS owners.
    The way things are going with politicians it may not be long before we are banned from driving older petrol and diesel engined (engined?) cars on the road.

A bolt-in off-the-shelf replacement for the DS petrol engine would be a great business idea for an entrepreneur, with a captive audience around the world.

I for one would be interested in such venture, imagine the gov subsidies to get it off and running.

Anyone?
    tresbon2 and Kenfuego like this.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Maybe a package like Aston Martin offer? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...n-classic-cars

Quote Originally Posted by marc61 View Post
    Maybe a package like Aston Martin offer? https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...n-classic-cars
    WhyTF would you not save up a few litres of dinosaur juice just to hear the bloody Vantage V12 run in the shed, never mind driving it?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by fritzelhund View Post
    I didn't notice any reference to which gear the electric motor uses....retains the DS manual gearbox.
    Well of course I know nothing of electric conversions. and I don't know whether it is technically feasible, but in a perfect world I would keep petrol engine and gearbox, with the necessary alterations to make it possible, and have the electric motor added in the engine compartment to activate the crankshaft somehow, leaving everything else to work as designed. But introducing some possible improvements, such as running the hydraulic pump electrically,as well as air conditionning compressor and storing batteries under the rear seat in place of the tanks and possibly the boot as well. Is that feasible?
    Last edited by harrisson_citroen; 8th May 2019 at 11:03 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by harrisson_citroen View Post
    Well of course I know nothing of electric conversions. and I don't know whether it is technically feasible, but in a perfect world I would keep petrol engine and gearbox, with the necessary alterations to make it possible, and have the electric motor added in the engine compartment to activate the crankshaft somehow, leaving everything else to work as designed, and storing batteries under the rear seat in place of the tanks and possibly the boot as well. Is that feasible?
    That sounds very difficult, but you could leave the engine bay intact and fit electric motors to drive the rear wheels. By all means replace fuel tank with batteries, but surely you'd retain a small fuel tank so the engine could still be started? Of course the range (on either battery and petrol) would be 'limited', and the vehicle would weigh so much that you wouldn't be able to carry passengers or luggage without exceeding the GVM (and you'd probably need to employ a jockey to drive it for you ).

Cheers

Alec
    Kenfuego likes this.

Regardless of the reaction the video causes Aldo should be praised for what is a monumental task and obviously well planned and executed. Congratulations on a marvellous effort. I would cringe at the cost especially as a custom job would be more intrciate and require a high level of knowledge to complete successfully. Good on him! I couldn't see where the front suspension spheres had disappeared to care of all the electrickery, it would have been nice if some more detail had been provided regarding the speciifcs of doing this conversion.

1000+ Posts

My feeling is that Bruno is aiming the clip at kids TV - or else he is using this interview as practise for being a kids TV presenter - think Jimmy Giggle (with his sidekicks Hoot and Hootabelle the owls), or 'Horrible Histories' (a British program that tries to make history fun).

Having said that, if that's the style of presentation that producers of Kids TV programs are looking for, then heaven help the next generation!

Cheers

Alec

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    My feeling is that Bruno is aiming the clip at kids TV - or else he is using this interview as practise for being a kids TV presenter - think Jimmy Giggle (with his sidekicks Hoot and Hootabelle the owls), or 'Horrible Histories' (a British program that tries to make history fun).

Having said that, if that's the style of presentation that producers of Kids TV programs are looking for, then heaven help the next generation!

Cheers

Alec
    Actually production of childrens' TV is quite complex - aiming for educational value as well as audience attraction. Jimmy Giggle etc does an excellent job of engaging children and linking different programs. JG is a character and not a person. (just like Norman Gunston, Dame Edna et al)

IMHO - "Bruno" was on something possibly illegal while he was doing that video - and probably others. He wouldn't get his foot in the door of a serious childrens' TV production house with that malarky.

To see some excellently made childrens' TV, go to iView and have a look at Aussie production "Bluey".

Back to the main story - a few years ago Aldo was invited and attended the CCCNSW meet to show his electric DS. We couldn't be there and no report was written for "The Chevrons" (that I recall) but I heard Aldo's presentation and learning was well received.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

OK. Let me ask the more technically able around here:

Is it "technically" possible, not necessarily "practically" or "economically" to:

On a DS, remove the radiator and water pump , fan etc... fit a purpose made fitting to take the place of the water pump, and that fitting to be driven by an electric motor that will sit in place of the radiator? Would that provide power to drive the engine and propel the car?

Now I know there will be countless technical hurdles, yes. such as having to remove pistons, injection etc.... I am asking only if theoretically it would work.

OK. Let me ask the more technically able around here:

Is it "technically" possible, not necessarily "practically" or "economically" to:

On a DS, remove the radiator and water pump , fan etc... fit a purpose made fitting to take the place of the water pump, and that fitting to be driven by an electric motor that will sit in place of the radiator? Would that provide power to drive the engine and propel the car, while leaving in place every component of the running gear, like gearbox, hyd pump etc....

Now I know there will be countless technical hurdles, yes. such as having to remove pistons, injection etc.... I am asking only if theoretically it would work.

1000+ Posts

Take the place of the pump? It would be a very slow car, if it gets moving, It won't take the needed torque.

The best place for an electric motor is to turn the transmission where you have a diff fitted, or direct to the wheels. The Prius has a clever gearbox and differential mounted to the engine with electric motor power built into it.

An all-electric will likely have a motor/differential set between the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Take the place of the pump? It would be a very slow car, if it gets moving, It won't take the needed torque.

The best place for an electric motor is to turn the transmission where you have a diff fitted, or direct to the wheels. The Prius has a clever gearbox and differential mounted to the engine with electric motor power built into it.

An all-electric will likely have a motor/differential set between the wheels.
    Okay. Well, that's kind of interesting then, because the "automatique" Borgwarner, has a diff directly under the water pump , therefore access is "technically" possible.
    Vely Intelesting.
    Thanks Seasick.

Thread Information