• 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 1 Post By JBN

Thread: Service for Xms in Sydney

Tadpole

Default Service for Xms in Sydney

Hi guys

Advertisement

I am thinking of buying an Xm from a bloke in Melbourne

He says it is OK mechanically but is getting a bit tired - slight oil leak from engine and hydraulics are fine but could do with a bit of work to get it back to its best?

Before I take the plunge or even go down to have a look, where could I get this type work done in Sydney - based in the Shire but will travel

AR

1000+ Posts

Firstly, welcome to Aussie Frogs! It will be great to have another XM owner around to talk to , and we'd love to hear what other French cars you have or have had.

alhantos (& others) will tell you that Jason Hantos in Hornsby will do a good job - many Sydney Citroen owners take their cars to him. Is yours a late model with the ES9J4 motor? He apparently had lots of practice at sealing the cam boxes on mine (which I bought via eBay 2 months ago) - anyway, he is certainly familiar with XMs.

Adding more inAre you aware of Continental Motors (aka Citroen Centre) in Punchbowl? They are a long standing Citroen dealer, with a very well respected workshop. They may even keep some spares in stock! My XM was for some years a regular visitor.

With Continentals you are dealing with a "normal" workshop - if parts aren't available there's probably not a lot they can do. Jason is more innovative, and has learnt to work around problems - rebuilding components and finding alternatives when original parts are no longer available.

Re. spares - apart from Continentals, talk to EAI. Martin in their Sydney office is a former XM owner. Even so, expect to have to buy stuff from overseas. I was impressed with the teutonic efficiency of https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ This web site is the UK front-end to a large German parts supplier (Wemax Group GmbH & Co).

For spheres, the easiest is to just deal with www.sphereshop.co.uk - actually a French company, they must have a high turnover, as their spheres are invariably recently made (old ones can go flat before you even use them).

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 7th May 2019 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Adding more information and correcting mistakes.
    seasink likes this.

1000+ Posts

Jason Hantos's place is at least 4 km from Hornsby shops/station. Continental will usually take you to a nearby station or lend a car. EAI at Thornleigh are happy to send stuff out by courier for a small charge, certainly less than the cost and hassle of a return trip from the Shire.

JBN

I concur with all of the above. I live in the Shire and Jason is my mechanic. There is a bus service to/from Hornsby Heights to Hornsby railway station and using Trip Planner to/from 22 Kookaburra Place you can plan things out. I have walked from Hornsby station to Jason's but that is just to kill time and remind myself that I was once an infantryman and later a commando.

Martin at EAI is very good and remember that Dapco is much closer at Kingsgrove and they may sometimes have what you want. I ended up buying the last new radiator for a Xantia from them. Unfortunately it was a manual radiator, but we are going to use that for the Xantia engine swap and add an automatic transmission cooler to do the task that the automatic radiator did. In fact it should do it much better.

John
    Armidillo likes this.

1000+ Posts

Somewhere I may have stated that Jason Hantos does not issue invoices.

This is incorrect - he operates a 'proper' workshop, and does his paperwork (including issuing invoices) just like any other business.

He is very knowledgeable about Citroens and very helpful.

Cheers

Alec
    UFO likes this.

JBN

Perhaps you meant that he doesn't give credit, but gladly accepts cash.

John
    Armidillo likes this.

Tadpole

Thanks guys

Fellow Frogger!

I'm a happy Jason customer too.
    Great guy, knowledgeable, lives and breathes Citroens, the older type mostly.
    He regularly attends car days and is genuinely passionate.
    Regards, Chris M

Thread Information