C4 VTi Auto MY09 Clicking and air noise on gear change.
  • Register
  • Help

Default C4 VTi Auto MY09 Clicking and air noise on gear change.

This is a question related to my younger son's 2010 C4 VTi Auto MY09. He is in Brisbane, so I have no first hand knowledge of the situation.
    He has just had the turbo replaced on this car, got it back on Wednesday. Last night (Friday) car started making a clicking sound with a slight air noise just as the car is about to change gear.
    Has anyone on the forum experienced this? What was the fix? Would it only be a matter of servicing the hydraulic gearbox.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Advertisement
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Fellow Frogger

So, this is the old shape C4 with the EP6 turbo petrol engine and an AL4 gearbox? Yes?
    The wastegate pivot on the back end of the turbo is the usual problem rather than the turbo itself. If that was faulty and not replaced or the actuator has come loose or the vacuum system is causing it to flap, that might be a possible source of noise. If the turbo failed, then it might have been due to a lack of lubrication, often due to coking of the oil in the feed pipe. Other items that might click are a failing turbo coolant pump and maybe the control for the water pump, but these won't be associated with a gear change or the gearbox.
    Perhaps, send it back to the person who changed the turbo?

Thanks David,
    Old shape C4 with the 1.6 HDI diesel engine and EGS 6 speed automated manual. The 'VTi Auto MY09' is from the CarSales ad for the car. Is this an incorrect label for the 1.6 HDI diesel?
    Turbo problem was due to the internal nut on top of the blades coming off. Luckily my son only drove it a very short distance after that initial loss of power. Nut damaged the blades but metal did not get into the engine ( for an image of this have a look at the YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzTtrGLEGOg good image at 3:21). Bad oil changes were probably the cause, though it was a one owner with Citroen dealer complete service record when my son bought it from a second hand dealer 2 months ago.
    He will be contacting the garage where the turbo work was done, partly covered be the extended warranty he took out when he bought the car on Tuesday (Monday is a public holiday in Queensland). It is just good to know from other's past experiences what needs to be looked at.
    Anthony O'Brien
    2008 C5
    2007 C4
    2004 C5 Estate

Previous
    2003 C5
    2004 C2 (now with youngest son)
    2006 C2 (now with eldest son)

Fellow Frogger

When you noted VTi, I assumed it was the EP6 petrol version sold in the last year or so of the old range. Best avoided really. If you mentioned C4 EGS, then it's easy to know it's the 1.6HDi with the 6 speed EGS.

The turbo may have failed just because the nut worked itself off as in the video you linked to. Than can happen, but more often the turbo fails because the oil isn't changed often enough and it is starved of oil. If the oil was black and sticky and there were crusty carbon deposits found when the turbo was changed, it may fail prematurely. In bad cases, the sump ends up with a lot of carbon buildup and it's quite hard to fully eliminate. There are a few threads on this topic, including a couple listed in the sticky Thread of Excellent Threads.

A rattle on gear changes could possibly be the dual mass flywheel on its way out. The heat shields for the turbo and exhaust tend to crack and vibrate also. The air noise? Loose hose/pipe? Actuator vacuum hose fell off or the vacuum system has a leak (try a leakdown test)? Maybe the orange rubber seal at the side of the turbo is just not seated properly?

100% David the nut falls of because of the seized shaft if they didnít clean the oil pump and strainer and replace the pipe and filter bolt you will be putting another turbo on it make sure you let them know this itís a failure on their part.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Thread Information