2002 C5 Exclusive 174000k Serious Suspension Fault. 80 year old ex mech needs advice.
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 21 of 21
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By Hydrac
  • 1 Post By davidc
  • 2 Post By Balki
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund
  • 1 Post By fritzelhund

Thread: 2002 C5 Exclusive 174000k Serious Suspension Fault. 80 year old ex mech needs advice.

  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default 2002 C5 Exclusive 174000k Serious Suspension Fault. 80 year old ex mech needs advice.

    The wife hit a large pot hole full of water, drivers side. Have checked for hydraulic leaks front and rear OK. Checked all fuses including 40 Amp under bonnet fuse holder OK. Serious suspension fault comes up on the screen, pump not activating. Both rubber stops are unserviceable and suspension is at its lowest point. I feel it may be a loose wire on the pump ECU. Any advice please. She loves her Cit and the rest is in good condition except the windscreen washer tank.

    Advertisement

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts dmccurtayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Newcastle/ central coast
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    What about the maxi fuse and socket under the engine fuse box


    Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    hawkeye01 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Frankston
    Posts
    32

    Default

    If the maxi fuse on the underside of the fusebox is ok, as the car hit a large body of water at speed it is possible that something has happened to the height corrector/s i.e. water ingress or even possible that the link from the corrector to the rollbar has come adrift.

    Unfortunately to check this with the car at minimum height is not easy. A check with a Lexia would possibly give a code for the fault.
    hawkeye01 likes this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Hi
    If you havent already checked, open the driver's door , should hear the suspension pump whirring? Yes as others have mentioned check the maxi fuse that is under the main fuse box in engine bay. Apologies if all this already done.
    Any evidence of water around the power feeds to suspension pump? At worst you could pull out the all in one electric motor/lds pump (wheel off, inner guard out, drain lds tank and pipes and remove, then easy to unbolt remove an then bench test - apply 12v should spin (i have done that). If doesnt spin disassamble elec motor and check for damage and continuity.
    Hope that helps or you find problem is something else and simpler to fix.

    Sent from my LG-H930 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    hawkeye01 likes this.
    __________________
    2007 C5 2.2 HDi
    2004 C5 2.0 HDi Estate

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! Balki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sheffield/Tasmania
    Posts
    614

    Default

    don't do anything without plugging in diagnostic and checking error code, otherwise there is a high chance of wasteing hugh amounts of time
    dmccurtayne and hawkeye01 like this.
    2016 Cactus
    2003 Range rover l322
    1974 D special
    1971 D special
    1992 CX TGE Safari
    1961 ID19
    1972 DS21 Safari
    1965 Renault R4
    1923 Citroen B2
    1927 B14
    Massey ferguson 550

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Hi
    If you havent already checked, open the driver's door , should hear the suspension pump whirring? Yes as others have mentioned check the maxi fuse that is under the main fuse box in engine bay. Apologies if all this already done.
    Any evidence of water around the power feeds to suspension pump? At worst you could pull out the all in one electric motor/lds pump (wheel off, inner guard out, drain lds tank and pipes and remove, then easy to unbolt remove an then bench test - apply 12v should spin (i have done that). If doesnt spin disassamble elec motor and check for damage and continuity.
    Hope that helps or you find problem is something else and simpler to fix.

    Sent from my LG-H930 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    I have just found two videos on You Tube that may be useful. One shows how to remove the high pressure pump ( on a first nose C5 too ), the other shows disassembly ( on a clean workbench ) of the HP pump and electric motor. I was searching for Citroen C5 suspension bushes...
    hawkeye01 likes this.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    852

    Default

    There are THREE ... my latest find on YouTube has the screen message, and follows the removal of the fuse box, disassembly of the fuse box, discovery of poor connections under the fuse box and correction of the corrosion...takes all the mystery out of the fuse box.
    hawkeye01 likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Balki View Post
    don't do anything without plugging in diagnostic and checking error code, otherwise there is a high chance of wasteing hugh amounts of time
    Dont disagree with that but in my case my lexia could never see the suspension ecu of that particular car but could read my earlier c5.

    Sent from my LG-H930 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    __________________
    2007 C5 2.2 HDi
    2004 C5 2.0 HDi Estate

  9. #9
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default Thanks for the info from members, have checked these Maxi fuses all Serviceable


  10. #10
    1000+ Posts dmccurtayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Newcastle/ central coast
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    Yep thatís a fuse box whatís the go with that fuse on the left is the pin in side burnt


    Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

  11. #11
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Have checked fuses, have 12volts to pump plug connector, have 12volts between active on plug connector and earth on vehicle, have 12volts from small wire to active on pump connector. ( I think this wire has something to do with the door opening to operate pump). So I have power to the pump. ? is there some thing in the ECU that tells the pump to operate. I think you are right Balki I am wasting a lot of time, however I figured as it was a pot hole that caused the problem perhaps a loose wire was the culprit. Also I am retired so I come cheap these days. The problem is more of a "I got to fixit" By what I have said above fritzelhund I have 12V to the pump so applying 12V from the battery to run it on the car ( or bench as you say ) would be pointless. I guess I might put it all back together and get it analyzed.

  12. #12
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Do you mean the red one? I took them all out and checked them.

  13. #13
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Looked mat all of them thanks fritz

  14. #14
    1000+ Posts dmccurtayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Newcastle/ central coast
    Posts
    1,642

    Default

    And the pins inside


    Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

  15. #15
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Yes looked at the pins too

  16. #16
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Ok I figured I had better buy a Lexia. Called in to David Cavanagh and Chris at French Connection yesterday in Airport West ( great guys and always helpful ), Chris suggested that I get a Lexia 4. Its a mine field out there with OBD's. Blogs say Lexia 3 doesn't work well with a 2002 C5 Exclusive. Chris said dont update as it wont work on a C5 anymore. I have an old XP laptop which I understand you need to hook up. Chris said to look up E Bay for a Lexia 4 can't find a Lexia 4 on E Bay. I still feel that I have to get underneath and check for loose wires or open circuit caused by the pot hole. Perhaps the Body Height Sensor. I have bought another C5 which was on Riddell Road for about 18 months and the suspension pump is working on that one. So I now have some spare parts. Also as Balki said you can waste a lot of time by not diagnosing with an OBD. Would love to get it going as the wife has had the C5 for 11 years now. Any advice on what Lexia to buy that will work on the 2002 C5 Excusive V6 and where from.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Suggest google easydiagnostics. They are in the UK and supply lexia and most importantly support their product. Have had mine for over 5 years, used on 2005 and 2007 C5s so no reason why it wont work on yours. Did pull your pump apart (electric motor side)?

    Sent from my LG-H930 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    __________________
    2007 C5 2.2 HDi
    2004 C5 2.0 HDi Estate

  18. #18
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Hi davidc. Is the Lexia you have has to be hooked up to a XP or earlier laptop or is it stand alone. No I haven't pulled the pump motor out as yet. As I said in the above post still feel it may be an open circuit or loose wire, which I will check first.

  19. #19
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sunbury Australia
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Which OBD do you use Balki?

  20. #20
    Fellow Frogger! ScotFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Elphinstone Victoria
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye01 View Post
    Ok I figured I had better buy a Lexia. Called in to David Cavanagh and Chris at French Connection yesterday in Airport West ( great guys and always helpful ), Chris suggested that I get a Lexia 4. Its a mine field out there with OBD's. Blogs say Lexia 3 doesn't work well with a 2002 C5 Exclusive. Chris said dont update as it wont work on a C5 anymore. I have an old XP laptop which I understand you need to hook up. Chris said to look up E Bay for a Lexia 4 can't find a Lexia 4 on E Bay. I still feel that I have to get underneath and check for loose wires or open circuit caused by the pot hole. Perhaps the Body Height Sensor. I have bought another C5 which was on Riddell Road for about 18 months and the suspension pump is working on that one. So I now have some spare parts. Also as Balki said you can waste a lot of time by not diagnosing with an OBD. Would love to get it going as the wife has had the C5 for 11 years now. Any advice on what Lexia to buy that will work on the 2002 C5 Excusive V6 and where from.
    I probably have the correct Lexia for your C5 Hawkeye.
    Capture.JPGI bought it a couple of years ago in a rush of blood to the head moment and it's been siting there glowering at me ever since. I just fired up the accompanying computer to check it and all seems good. You're welcome to borrow it if you want, I don't live that far from you if you want to pick it up, (your side of Castlemaine). Send me an email if interested.
    ScotFrog.

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mackay
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye01 View Post
    Hi davidc. Is the Lexia you have has to be hooked up to a XP or earlier laptop or is it stand alone. No I haven't pulled the pump motor out as yet. As I said in the above post still feel it may be an open circuit or loose wire, which I will check first.
    Yes it connects to laptop with XP via usb port. Looks like Scottfrog has got the package you need.

    Sent from my LG-H930 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    __________________
    2007 C5 2.2 HDi
    2004 C5 2.0 HDi Estate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •