Xantia CT brake calliper help please.
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Xantia CT brake calliper help please.

I am trying to remove a front brake calliper from my CT. The bottom retaining bolt is T55 Torx, but the top is a strange different Allan key bolt. It is larger than anything I have in my tool kit & it would be helpful if I knew the size before shopping for a new socket key. On my previous cars both bolts were T55 Torx.
    Thanks
    Richard

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

How many sides does it have? I vaguely remember a bolt I had to remove, may well have been on a calliper, was 5 sided. I got a special socket set at a car place which had all sorts of odd sockets & keys including the 5 sided one. Probably not relevant but worth a check.

Regards

agd123

1000+ Posts

I'm afraid you might be on your own there Richard - my guess is that the bolt in question is not original. Had a look at the Activa caliper while I was under there - two identical torx bolts.

Also I have some memory of tinkering with my Series I Turbo CT's brakes - no special tools required. In fact I once lost that top caliper bolt, and the caliper flopped forward and locked the wheel. Fortunately I was close to home, and was able to reverse for the few hundred metres to get me there.

Didn't have to order a new bolt - knowing that my neighbour took her dog for a daily walk down our dead end (gravel) road, I let her know I'd lost a bolt. Sure enough, within 24 hours she'd found it!

Pretty sure the story was that I'd had that caliper off, and probably hadn't tightened that bolt enough - certainly hadn't used Loctite, which I did the 2nd time!

Do you have a packet of Bluetack (or a recipe for playdough)? Perhaps you could make a mold from the odd bolt head.

Cheers

Alec

1000+ Posts

The illustration of the caliper in a French manual I have shows two Torx bolts. As a guess I'd say one has been replaced with something like an Unbrako (Unbrako brand has a black finish). These use a hex driver. If you have a set of Allen keys, fit one then get a matching size 1/2" or 3/8: drive hex key. Easy to find and inexpensive. The sump plug key might even fit.
    Last edited by seasink; 28th April 2019 at 08:31 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hi Citroenut
    There is another socket head type that is used sometime, it is a spline drive. Perhaps someone has put in one of them, i have found them on German cars. I bought a set of bits years ago that has Torx, hex, spline, and maybe some other type also. The spline bits have 8 splines. I have ground a hex key to put grooves in the flats to allow it to be used on a large spline drive bigger than my largest bit.
    You can see them in the first ebay page. The second page is similar to the set I have which I bought locally at a tool shop years ago.
    Jaahn
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Spline-B...gAAOSwVYhb0zeS
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SP-Tools...AAAOSwlddceKqv
    PS be careful of using an incorrect bit as you may not be able to get a socket head bolt out if you strip the internal head and it is tight and has had a strong grade locktite used.
    Last edited by jaahn; 29th April 2019 at 05:47 AM.

Thread Information