Need help with OEM towbar wiring
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne
  • 1 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: Need help with OEM towbar wiring

Default Need help with OEM towbar wiring

I have a 2010 C5 X7 2.0 RHH that I have bought a used factory towbar and towbar wiring for. I have found the pictorial fitting instructions on service citroen but where I have drawn a blank is with the part no of the wiring socket, which is broken.

Specifically, it's a 13-to-7 pin large round socket that comes in 3 parts -- see pics.

Advertisement

IF anyone with OEM towbar wiring recognises this, and has the complete unit including the springloaded cover, can you please see if there are any part numbers on the cover and let me know the p/no?

This is for the 9428 F7 loom but I'm sure Citroen would use the same adaptor for other looms. There is reference to such an adaptor on Planete Citroen but from what I can figure out they're saying it's not something that stays in place, it's a temporary adaptor. With this one you can see the body of it actually has two apertures to secure it to a bracket. None of this is clear on the 9428 F7 fitting instructions; it looks like a different (presumably 13-pin) socket.

If I can't get the direct Citroen replacement then my plan was to wire up a 7-flat (because that's what my trailer-to-be will prob use).. I have a bracket for that, and the wiring colour explanation for the OEM 13 pin set-up but I really prefer to not muck around with it. As clunky as it would be, I think it still would be better with the factory 13-to-7 and a round 7 to flat 7 adaptor.IMG_3521.jpgIMG_3525.jpgIMG_3517.jpg

I have had to replace a few of these under warranty the only way we could get them is to order the complete harness Iím sure someone makes them but the part isnít available via psa. The option that I gave people out of warranty was to fit a 7 pin flat but the type with a switch inside available from repco for under 20 dollars
    That adapter is a separate part but came in the tow bar wiring

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263142889995

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

But you need the normally opened one from memory

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    I have had to replace a few of these under warranty the only way we could get them is to order the complete harness I’m sure someone makes them but the part isn’t available via psa. The option that I gave people out of warranty was to fit a 7 pin flat but the type with a switch inside available from repco for under 20 dollars
    That adapter is a separate part but came in the tow bar wiring

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Thanks very much David! You have saved me much grief. I will have to get my head around the electronic component (the reed switch you refer to). I just one more quick question - you mentioned above "need the normally opened one from memory".

I'm not 100 percent sure I know what you mean. Are you still talking about the standard 7-pin flat plug? I thought there was only one design, but with a variation such as this one (with a reed switch for reversing sensors, which it looks like I will need).

I canít remember if it was that one or a normally opened one I have a old 7 pin harness out the back somewhere I will throw a multimeter on it tomorrow to check for you.
    Donít forget you only need 5 of those wires anyway

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    I can’t remember if it was that one or a normally opened one I have a old 7 pin harness out the back somewhere I will throw a multimeter on it tomorrow to check for you.
    Don’t forget you only need 5 of those wires anyway

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Just wondering if you've had time to look at the loom? I am not worried about wiring the tail light, brake light and turn signals, it's what to do with the micro switch or what ever it is that cancels the reverse parking sensors on the original 13 to 7 pin plug. I don't know this for sure, but someone on the UK Citroen forum reckons this operates by sensing when a trailer plug is fitted, and then cancels the sensors. I'd like to keep or reinstall that facility if possible.

I'm wondering how the plugs failed in service. Did the spring loaded cover break off like mine or did something more sinister happen with them?

Rusted pins and switches failing was the warranty issue , I had a look at the harness I have and the link I posted will be correct obviously just put the switch wires to the reed switch and all good Iím pretty sure jo at Citroen was getting us to fit these anyway.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Sans_sagesse likes this.

Perfect - thank you.

I have prepped the wiring loom for impending towbar fitment, but I am uncertain about a few wires. There appear to be two seperate parking light/running light wires, one for left, the other for right. Is this perhaps for the Euro system whereby if you left an indicator on with ign off only the parking lights on one side would function?

So I'm wondering if I just need one of the wires (5 or 7) in the new 7-pin plug to power running lights/taillights on the trailer, or both.
    Also, can I just run wire 3 as the earth in the new plug (without using wire 13)?

I haven't stripped the 13-pin connectors off yet as I want to leave them to the last minute to make sure I'm doing this right. Not as easy to go back to 13 pin once they're cut off...

C5 towbar wiring.jpg

I am also wondering if the correct Narva plug is the 82044BL (see attachment) as the Citroen loom has two wires for the switching for parking sensors.

The 82043BL plug linked ^ this thread uses just one wire (parking sensor earth) and then a bridge to earth to switch the sensors off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need help with OEM towbar wiring-screen-shot-2019-05-13-12.10.40-pm.png  

It looks like I have the wrong towbar for my C5. I assumed wrongly that all sedan towbars would be the same. Not for Citroen Aus 'factory' bars made by Best Bars NZ (who make towbars for a few m'facturers in Oz).

The 2.2 HDi/3.0 HDi bar I bought won't fit a 2.0 RHH car like mine. The bar's nearside side plate (that bolts to the car) interferes with the exhaust hangar and mounting point. Only way to make it fit that side is do a custom exhaust mounting point and I'm not doing that. Haveing twin outlets on the 2.2/3.0 instead of a single might have something to do with it -- it has to be a different set-up.

Unless I can buy the correct sideplate from Best Bars (v. unlikely) the towbar and (factory) wiring loom will be up for sale soon.

Thread Information