CX Cam Splines
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: CX Cam Splines

Tadpole

Default CX Cam Splines

Hey all, has anyone ever successfully managed to re-spline a CX camshaft?

Advertisement

Mine's badly worn at the main pulley, has this happened to others or is my car just a dog?

Cheers,
    Mitch

Hi, of course a repair is quite possible be done but at what cost? Suggest you contact French Connection who did have quite a number there ( from memory the shaft has a number cast into it check that they are the same}. Also remember that you should not have to dismantle the motor to remove and refit the cam, there is a much easier way.

Tadpole

Cheers, i'll have to suss them out on the best options
    I'm happy to leave it for now until it finally does go one day, it'd just be nice to have a proper fix sorted in advance as it'll stop the car for a while
    I've heard a few mentions of this cam removal method, should be an interesting experience if/when I give it a crack

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I would suggest that getting the cam out without dismantling sounds like black magic - the cam sprocket is at the other end of the motor, and, from memory, the cam is removed and refitted from the timing chain end. It is possible to pull the cam on a CX without removing the engine, but not, I suspect, without removing the cylinder head.

Head has to come off and the cam followers removed! Then the cam will come out straight through the RH wheel arch!
    Cheers Gerry

Hi,
    Re cam removal Bruce is quite correct in the cam chest has to be removed and the cam sprocket etc but I didn't consider that major work just a few minutes with a nut runner.

To remove the camshaft the tappets must clear the cam bearings to achieve this has for me at least been fairly simple and I have done this twice,

The cam followers have a side oil hole to access this the rocker adjustment must be opened up loosened so that the push rods can be removed then take a piece of stiff wire From memory 3mm diameter bend the end at right angles about 5mm long feed this down the push rod hole and pick up the oil hole in the tappet lift the tappet until you feel resistance and lift say 7 mm more the accumulated carbon etc on the lower unworn shell of the tappet I found will hold it up in the bore.

Yes I realised there is a risk and the potential consequences but I did this twice on two 2400 motors successfully and it is a lot easier and less expensive than a head removal.
    Last edited by Hydrac; 14th May 2019 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Information