• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By citroenthusiast

Thread: ID19 steering relay joint

Tadpole

Default ID19 steering relay joint

All

The front end seems pretty tight, but the tie rod ends attached to the steering relay are completely flogged out (circled in red):

IMG_0230.jpg

The car is 1961 and the tie rod ends on the relay arm don't seem replaceable. I couldn't find any easy work arounds. Best I can come up with is cutting off the tie rod end, threading it for a barrel adjuster and then making an insert to go into the end of the relay arm. Something like this, albeit with a traditional tie rod end rather than a rose joint:

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/49158...le-shear-mount

I see that later models have replaceable tie rod ends, but I don't want to go changing the entire front end just to deal with two joints.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

Good tie rod end-relay shaft assemblies are out there. Alan Sklenars in Hamilton NZ had some new ones last time I was there (some years ago now). The main difficulty in dealing with him is you have to go to his premises and talk to him in person.

Roger

Hi Disgruntled,

This issue takes me back, and I will no doubt face it again now I'm back into early cars. It's an annoying thing and creates that bit of vibration in the wheel - especially with hard cornering. If you can move the relay arms with your hand, you know they are stuffed.

For my '62 ID, I purchased 'new old stock' relays from Citro Motors in earlier times, but these were an expensive disaster. They gave way after only a little use - I'm thinking because of their sheer age and lack of lube (no grease nipple - I see there is one in your pic. ).

Modification along the lines you describe is the way to go, I think. My friend pressed apart the non-servicable joint, and fitted a servicable ball joint using peugeot (shhhhh!) parts of the same taper 203 through 505 are all the same bits, I'm told. Result, a lifetime fix of the problem.

Tim
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

Citrotech has rebuilt relay arms. https://citrotech.nl/shop/product/hu...bekrachtiging/ They are different for power steering or not.
    Middlemoon.1 likes this.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Tadpole

I might have new steering arm if interested , also new hub and driveshafts for ID/DS 19

Thread Information