DS handbrake pads
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default DS handbrake pads

Can a very clever Citroen Frog advise if it is possible to change the D S handbrake pads from under the car . Do the callipers have to come free of disc in order to fit new pads and the spring clips? I have no retardent left on some of the units . Do SM pads fit the DS? Ken

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dustyLHM View Post
    Can a very clever Citroen Frog advise if it is possible to change the D S handbrake pads from under the car . Do the callipers have to come free of disc in order to fit new pads and the spring clips? I have no retardent left on some of the units . Do SM pads fit the DS? Ken
    I seriously doubt it is possible to change handbrake pads from that direction. There are two drive shafts in the way.
    The actuating arms work with a low pivot point. The radiator and its duct and the steering rack will have to be removed for what is a once in a lifetime replacement. No doubt others will add more. Removal of a steering rack is not difficult. Proceed with caution and mark positions of the rack and mountings for exact replacement ( a small can of spray paint will guarantee accuracy ). You will notice the pad to disc adjustment bolts and their locknuts.
    A perfect opportunity to give everything a good clean too. D front brake dust and driveshaft grease create a perfect black rustproofing goo that covers everything.

Fellow Frogger! citroenthusiast's Avatar

I'm pretty sure the only way to change the handbrake pads is to remove the handbrake caliper from the disk. That means unbolting the caliper from the clutch housing and rotating it forward until you can free it from the disk. SM handbrake pads are different and carry a different part number. Going from memory, the slot in the SM pad that engages the spigot on the handbrake caliper is different.
    Cheers,
    John T.

54 11BL; 61DS19 LHM (son's); 71DS21 BVH; 73SM 3.0; 73SM 2.7EFI; 73SM 3.0 (other son's); 74 Maserati Merak

Fellow Frogger!

Hi
    Iím in the middle of this job. (All I was doing was replacing boots on the drive shafts, but I got distracted 🤪&#129322Itís a pig!!! Has to be done from above, although you can undo the bolts from below. Remove radiator, gearbox support beam(put axle stand under gbox) rack, and main brake calipersThe handbrake calipers must to be free of the disc to get the new pads on, itís quite tricky to get the new pads on with the springs in place!! I didnít disconnect the handbrake cable so it could be easier with it disconnected. It might be wise to replace the brake discs while you have it all apart, and check the brake calipers are not seized.
    Definitely a once in a lifetime job😆😆
    Cheers,
    Ed

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

The handbrake cable bites...

Thread Information