Citroen C5 Thermostat housing Removal
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Citroen C5 Thermostat housing Removal

Hi, I have a 06 2.2hdi and am trying to remove the housing/outlet tank. I've done all the connections bar the return pipe on the back that runs around the rear of the engine. It is a push on type but the pipe is male rather than the usual female and I can't feel any clips holding it in. What is the correct way to detach it?
    Here's some pix of the part:

Thanks,
    Leith

Advertisement
    Last edited by leithant; 17th April 2019 at 02:08 PM.
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

I have never done a 2.2, but another PSA engine (1.6 petrol) is sealed like this: Screenshot-2.jpg

1000+ Posts

Leith, I just did a timing belt job on my 206 and it has a similar setup going into what in my case was the plastic water pump around the back of the block.

The pump has a flange exactly like the the part you arrowed and a metal pipe inserts into it using an o-ring BUT has no retaining clip; it's held only by the parts being securely located. To clarify, the water pump is bolted to the block and the pipe is bolted to the head at the other end, so you just lubricate the mating parts (I used silicon paste) and insert.

The o-ring on the pipe fits into a groove right on the end of the pipe and seals really well even though they just slip together without any retaining device. Maybe yours is the same, unless you've already loosened everything and it's still stuck of course as mine came apart fairly easily by just pulling the pump.
    Last edited by Stuey; 16th April 2019 at 11:20 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Leith, I just did a timing belt job on my 206 and it has a similar setup going into what in my case was the plastic water pump around the back of the block.

The pump has a flange exactly like the the part you arrowed and a metal pipe inserts into it using an o-ring BUT has no retaining clip; it's held only by the parts being securely located.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. However I didn't want to end up breaking anything! I think I will need to remove the studs that the housing goes on to so I can wiggle it a bit more to get it free. I Have added an image of the pipe for reference.
    06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
    95 Peugeot 306 S16
    95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased

1000+ Posts

That's it! Same setup. I think it reaches far enough in to press upon the part where it narrows in the female end, but I'm not sure. It doesn't leak though!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information