79 CX Hydraulic pump options...
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Stuey

Thread: 79 CX Hydraulic pump options...

Default 79 CX Hydraulic pump options...

Hi all,

My hydraulic pump was rebuilt by a "mechanic", but has since failed (less than two months later). It has been leaking and flinging fluid all over the ending bay. I believe the leak is coming from the join between the pump body and the face (is this the right terminology?). I have felt for cracks and can't seem to detect one on feel alone at least.

I have been refunded for the dodgy work, and am wondering what my best option is to fix this. Do I: -Rebuild the pump myself (not likely, due to time constraints and limited knowledge), -Have the pump rebuilt (by an amateur or professional), or -Buy a good or refurbished pump privately or commercially...

I'd like to have the car off the road for the shortest amount of time possible, so option three is probably the most realistic. Does anyone have any leads on where I can get a good pump? I've also heard something about putting a later pump in to keep up with demand on the hydraulic system. Is this something I should think about?

Sorry for my clueless ramblings. Just hoping to get some recommendations re: directions I should take.

Regards,
    Max.

Advertisement
    79 cx2400 pallas c-matic

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

fit a later 5cylinder pump to it. They are not rebuildable but they have a higher capacity so you don't run out of power steering all the time (well ever!).

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    fit a later 5cylinder pump to it. They are not rebuildable but they have a higher capacity so you don't run out of power steering all the time (well ever!).

seeya,
    Shane L
    So can this just be dropped in in place of the original with no further modification? Where would I be able to get one of these in good condition? does it have to be from a specific model?

apologies for the barrage of questions. your help is greatly appreciated.
    79 cx2400 pallas c-matic

Fellow Frogger

The pumps can crack in the piston body between two of the piston housings. If that happens, it usually won't generate enough pressure to work properly. You also won't see a crack until you remove the cover from the pump, but it will leak and look like bad seals between the mounting body and piston body.

If you read this thread ... Who's good with D hydraulics in Melbourne?
    and visit the linked thread, it should become clear. Same pump, just a different outlet arrangement and a rubber coupling replacing the belt pulley used on a DS.

I would think the bronze sealing ring at the back of the front bearing or the spindle seal behind the coupling may be leaking or incorrectly assembled if LHM is being thrown around.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I don't think the 7 cylinder pumps are up to the task of running the CX steering. Yes, any CX pump should fit. Possibly a BX pump may bolt straight up as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C...sAAOSwGdhbLmEp

This one is interesting. I"m thinking it is a Xantia pump. I have never seen a CX with a plastic body pump. So long as it turns the right direction you can probably use a BX/Xantia pump (they will not work on the DS ... I have tried. The pump will not prime and pump when turning backwards).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Gents, there's a guy under the 'Help Needed' thread that needs a 7 cylinder pump as he's stuck in the sticks broken down. Just thought I'd raise it here in case you can help him with a source, as you might not see his thread with that title...
    David S and 37dhw8 like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information